Networking & Wireless forum

Question

cannot clone laptop to hdtv via wireless hdmi and nvidia ion

by alfie9999 / March 17, 2013 2:22 PM PDT

i am connecting my laptop pc to my hdtv via a wireless gizmo. the gizmo has a dongle transmitter connected to the pc via the hdmi port and the usb port for power, on the receiver hdtv end the receiver box connects to the hdtv through the hdtv hdmi port and to the a/c power on the wall, all this is to replace a hdmi to hdmi cable connection. i hope i,m clear so far. now i want to clone my pc screen to my hdtv screen i.e. i want to see the exact same image or video on both my pc screen and on my hdtv screen and here lies my problem, as i stated in my original post, i am unable to do so using the fn/f8 keys or the microsoft key/p options i have on my pc keyboard. using these keys i can see a video on either the pc laptop screen or on the hdtv screen but not on both at the same time which is what cloning or duplicating means? the internet posts related to this issue recommend using my nvidia control panel to achieve cloning, i have also tried that approach with no sucess because when i go there, i do not have choice for cloning, it seems it doesnt recognize or detect a second monitor ?
graphic card is nvidia ion

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cannot clone laptop to hdtv via wireless hdmi and nvidia ion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cannot clone laptop to hdtv via wireless hdmi and nvidia ion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Makes sense.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 2:34 PM PDT

Since the laptop display is not the same as the HDTV, this should be a dead end.

Why can't you use the usual extended display?
Why must it be a clone job?
Bob

Collapse -
Reply to Proffitt
by alfie9999 / March 18, 2013 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Makes sense.

Proffitt
Lots of posts on net where ppl connected laptop to HDTV successfully! Not sure what u mean by "makes sense"?? I also tried extend screen w negative results'

Collapse -
It makes sense to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to Proffitt

Let's take my netbook which has 1024 x 600 pixels. That's nothing my HDTV will display so cloning that display should result in a dead end. It makes sense to me.

As to those other folk they may not have your netbook. On top of that you elected to not share make and model.

The extended display does work here as long as I set it to something compatible.

-> I don't want to upset you but why the lack of make, models, cables used, settings and what that USB to HDMI thing is?

The USB to HDTV link I know of required some driver install and setup yet your post is so light on details that I can't see where it went wrong.
Bob

Collapse -
Reply to Bob
by alfie9999 / March 18, 2013 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: It makes sense to me.

Thanx for your help! I am not upset at all. Just want to solve problem. My laptop is Asus Eee the only info I have on graphics card is Nvidia Ion. The wireless is nyrius Aries. It consists of a transmitter and a receiver. The transmitter is a dongle that attaches to laptop with a HDMI male to laptop female and also to the USB INPUT on the laptop for power. The receiver is a box that attaches to the HDTV via a male HDMI Cable and to the wall A/C outlet. Perhaps you can find it on google under Nyrius Aries HDMI wireless connection. That's where I bought it. I send them an email but they have not replied!

Collapse -
Still missing some detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 11:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to Bob

Before you use the wireless HDMI did you get it working with just a HDMI cable?

I have one of those HDMI wireless things but mine is the Philips SWW1890/27 Wireless HD Net Connect.
Bob

Collapse -
reply to bob
by alfie9999 / March 19, 2013 6:27 AM PDT

yes i started that way with a hdmi to hdmi cable and i had the same result as with the wireless connection!!

Collapse -
Good to know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2013 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: reply to bob

That's a problem with troubles like this. If it didn't work with just the HDMI then adding this wireless HDMI only muddies the conversation.

I'd head back to wired and see if we can find the user's manual fort this computer.

You look too. I'll be back later.
Bob

Collapse -
reply to bob
by alfie9999 / March 19, 2013 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Good to know.

Support For
Eee Family Eee PC 1215N Change Your Model Add to My Favorite Register
Knowledge
Download
Specification
Warranty Policy
Bob,
I found this on Asus support for my laptop Eee PC 1215N:
Optimus support HDMI 1.4a 3D display specification so display can't support clone mode.
Page Tools

Solution
The LCD and CRT display output from Intel GPU.
The HDMI display output from Nvidia GPU.
Because the Nvidia GPU can't sync intel display data for calpella platform,So that is Nvidia GPU limitation for this architecture.

Collapse -
Which takes us back to the top.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2013 10:01 AM PDT
In reply to: reply to bob

Clone mode is pretty much a non-starter since this Netbook's display is 1024 x 600 and you have found a second reason. I'd focus on the extended desktop method now.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.