Computer Help forum

General discussion

cannot click on links in email

by angelian / February 14, 2006 6:00 PM PST

I used crap cleaner and removed some things,but now I cannot click on links in emails or certain other links,I suspect that a driver or something is missing,I had to replace some.Is there anyway to know what driver or drivers are missing.
Windowsxp Home

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cannot click on links in email
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cannot click on links in email
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try IEFIX to start with.
by Kees Bakker / February 14, 2006 7:46 PM PST
Collapse -
If IEFix doesn't work --
by Edward ODaniel / February 15, 2006 2:00 AM PST

and do try it first--follow the resolution steps in this link:;EN-US;Q281679

or you can check the following (This method involves manually editing the file type association):

1. Double-click the My Computer icon.

2. On the View menu, click Folder Options (Microsoft Windows 98) or Options (Microsoft Windows NT), and then click the File Types tab. In Microsoft Windows 2000, click Folder Options on the Tools menu.

3. In the Registered File Types box, click URL: Hypertext Transfer Protocol. In Windows 2000, click File Types to sort the files alphabetically. The programs that are listed in the Opens With box are the programs with which hyperlinks are currently associated.

4. If the program in the Opens With box is Iexplore (Microsoft Internet Explorer), click the Edit button. If another program, such as Netscape, is associated with this file type, you must troubleshoot that program to reassociate the file type. (hint--make MSIE your default then change it later.)

5. In the Edit File Type dialog box, be sure that open is listed in the Actions box. If open is not listed, click New, type open in the Action box, and then click OK.

6. Click open, and then click Edit.

7. In the Application used to perform action box, you see the following text, including the quotation marks:
"C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\iexplore.exe" %1
In some cases, the "%1" may have been replaced by something else.

8. Save these settings, and then repeat the process for other URL protocol file types.

Then too, some programs that control pop-up windows and advertisements can stop hyperlinks from working. Also, some third-party add-ins are known to cause a problem and must be uninstalled when misbehaving in this way.

Collapse -
If IEFix doesn't work --
by angelian / February 16, 2006 7:51 AM PST

The computer I am working on is Windowsxp Home,I went to the editing action for type :url:Hypertex trans and in the box application used to perform action there is this "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome,in the checkbox use DDE message there is this "%1",,-1,0,,, the box under that it says application IEXPLORE and then below it says DDE not running,there is nothing in that box and the box under that www-URL,I am not sure what should be in this box.Is the whole window supposed to look like that?

Collapse -
My question
by PudgyOne / February 16, 2006 8:09 PM PST

My Question is:

In the email, is the link(URL) highlighted in blue or not?

I had a friend that used webtv and when they would send me emails with URL's, they would not work. I had to copy and paste the URL to the address bar.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Same problem
by jc1234 / February 16, 2006 11:17 PM PST
In reply to: My question

i had the same problem but i cant rember what i did to get it but i was using emachines and xp so i deidced it was time to clean my hard drive and of course i worked in the mean timke i had to copy the shorcuts then past them in I.E

Collapse -
can't open e mails
by firefly45 / February 17, 2006 12:47 AM PST

Thank you........ the folder opetion in IE worked. Why didn't I think of that?

Collapse -
Re: cannot click on links in email
by Tufenuf / February 16, 2006 11:21 PM PST
Collapse -
Problem with 2/14/06 MS update?
by yeffers / February 17, 2006 3:17 AM PST

My father in law had this problem beginning immediately after downloading and installing this weeks patches. I had him run IEFix and it corrected the problem. I just wonder if it has to do with the updates as the few entries in this thread seem to have started this week.

Just curious.

Collapse -
by angelian / February 18, 2006 2:23 AM PST

I tried every fix,(did not have SP2CD) but did it from service pack,This file Actxprxy.dll seems to be missing or some other problem but the computer said that it could not find it.I looked for the resolution on microsoft,something was there but I cannot say that I understood what to do very well,how can I fix or find this file,it seems not to be installing.

Collapse -
Did you try...
by Damn_machine / February 18, 2006 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: Actxprxy.dll

the fix offered by Edward and Tufenuf? The "URLMON.DLL" did the trick for me. I suddenly had this problem and don't know if one of my spyware scan programs quarintined something I needed, or what. I ran CCleaner, Spycatcher, and Ewido before this problem started.

Collapse -
I did the crap cleaner thing too
by angelian / February 18, 2006 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: Did you try...

It was after I cleaned up the computer with crap cleaner and a registry cleaner,i did do the urlmon fix too but when I went down the list and checked I got a message that it was not found,I tried the fix two times.I am trying to replace the driver by cpying it to a floppy from my computer,I am trying to fix my niece's computer which had every available trojan,virus and dialers.I will put the driver back and then try the fix again.

Collapse -
worked with replaced driver
by angelian / February 18, 2006 5:22 AM PST

I wonder if other files are damaged too,because I noticed that when I went to put back the driver,the driver was there but it seemed defaced,I cannot find any other way to described it,after I replaced Actxprxy.dll the hyperlinks worked,I looked at the other drivers in System 32 and some of them looked the same way,,the computer also could not find mswrd632wpc and it was there but it looked like the defaced driver too,so perhaps something happened to some of the service pack files,I really must order the sp2 cd,I don't know why I did not do it.

Collapse -
Worked with replaced driver
by The_Tool_man / February 26, 2008 6:57 PM PST
Collapse -
by serricx / June 10, 2008 9:42 AM PDT

i cannot click on links in emails

Collapse -
Need more info
by Tufenuf / June 10, 2008 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: links

serricx, Which version of windows and which e-mail program and which browser are you using.

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Did you try all of the possible solutions in this thread?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.