Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Cannot change search default

by ice_dog_fan / June 15, 2009 8:53 PM PDT

Using Internet options I've changed the default search engine to Bing, but it keeps changing back to Google. How do I make the change permanent?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot change search default
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot change search default
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: search engine
by Kees Bakker / June 15, 2009 9:22 PM PDT

Please tell what version of what browser you are using.

In my IE7, for example, I can change the standard search engine by clicking on the dropdown arrow next to the search box and choosing to edit the settings. So I don't go to Internet Options to do that.
But maybe you've got a different version or even a different browser?

Kees

Collapse -
Re: cannot change default search engine
by ice_dog_fan / June 17, 2009 11:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: search engine

Thanks, Kees, for responding.

I'm running IE7 under XP Pro.
I, too, can temporarily change the search engine with the
dropdown arrow, as you suggested. However, when I open a new
window the default changes back to Google. That's why I went
to Internet Options to permanently change the default.
THAT'S what I can't do. It will change temporarily, but when I open a new window it defaults back to Google. I cannot change the default search engine.

Collapse -
What happens if
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 17, 2009 7:41 PM PDT

I'm hesitant to suggest this, because it could be a one way option.

But assuming you are trying to change the Search Default in Internet Options > General tab, Change Search Defaults settings button, what happens if you remove Google from the list, then set Bing as your default search engine?

The link in that window appears to allow you to find more search providers, but my hesitancy is because I have never used the remove option before, and I don't know if you would be able to change back at any time, and if not and IE does not accept Bing, then you may be stuck with no default.

Mark

Collapse -
cannot change default search engine
by ice_dog_fan / June 17, 2009 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: What happens if

Responding to this suggestion:
"...if you remove Google from the list, then set Bing as your default search engine...?"

I'd already done that, and it didn't matter. Google returnd later as the default while Bing remained in the list as the first alternate.

Collapse -
Installed other google software, maybe?
by Kees Bakker / June 18, 2009 5:00 PM PDT

Google toolbar, google search? It's unlikely Google would come back after you removed it, if there's nothing google-like on your machine.

Kees

Collapse -
If it's not malware, it's corruption.
by Cursorcowboy / June 17, 2009 10:08 PM PDT

1. Download and follow the instructions for "IEFix" - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP) which:

a. Registers Urlmon.dll, Mshtml.dll, Actxprxy.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Shell32.dll, Shdocvw.dll, [Q281679].

b. Refreshes Internet Explorer using IE.INF method -- two additional notes FYI:

? "Unable to Install Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP (Q304872)"

? "How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)"

NOTE: Read and understand what RESETING Internet Explorer means in the article "How to reset Internet Explorer settings (Q923737)"

c. Initiates "SFC /Scannow" (Win2K&XP), [Q310747].

Caveat: Using IEFix myself, the utility does not suggest or require a reboot but I do suggest that you do. In addition, if an extra icon for IE is located on the Desktop afterwards you may delete it.

Note: Else, some of the core Internet Explorer "?.dll files" may not be correctly registered or need registering. First, verify the exact path of where the Iexplore.exe file is found and used as noted for this example. Second, click Start, Run, type exactly "(Hard Drive Letter):\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" /rereg and then either click OK or press Enter.

2. Reinstalling otherwise:

a. First, be familiar with "Information About Internet Explorer Setup (Q256340)". Second, click Start, Search, All Files and Folders, More Advanced Options, enter a check in Search Hidden Files and Folders, Search System Folders, and Search Subfolders. Type ie.inf in All or Part of the File Name box, select C: in the Look In drop-down menu or the letter of the hard drive containing the Windows folder, and then click the Search button. Find the file labeled ie.inf in the result pane. Right-click this file and then from the context menu, select Install.

b. The article [Q304872] states that when you try to install IE6, you may receive an error message that can occur if it has already been installed and the installation package does not contain any new customizations -- a customized versions of Internet Explorer 6 that was created by an Internet service provider, Internet content provider, or a corporate administrator that is installed instead of the default browser.

3. Fixing connectivity/WinSock problems:

a. WinSock XP Fix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries. It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings. If you encounter connection problems after removing network related software, Adware or after registry clean-up; and all other ways fail, then "download" and give WinSock XP Fix a try, a 1,412kb file. It can create a registry backup of your current settings, so it is fairly safe to use.

b. "LSP-Fix" is a free utility that may be downloaded to repair certain problems associated with Internet software when you can no longer access Web sites due to bugs in the LSP software or deletion of software. LSP-Fix repairs the Winsock LSP chain by removing the entries left behind when LSP software is removed by hand (or when errors in the software itself break the LSP chain), and removing any gaps in the chain.

Collapse -
Cannot change default search engine
by ice_dog_fan / June 17, 2009 11:07 PM PDT

Cursorcowboy,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I'll research it all and start with the least invasive approach.

A Dell service techie installed Adware without asking me. I removed it but there may still be some Adware "droppings".

Collapse -
Hi ! Bing Is Micrsofts New Search
by tobeach / June 18, 2009 4:38 PM PDT

engine specifically designed to do battle w/ Google for engine supremacy. Personally, I think MS is becoming quite predatory of late
(as opposed to just feeding frenzy before)! LOL!

I hesitate to suggest it but I have Spybot Search & Destroy installed &
one of it tools (under Advanced Mode) is "Browser Pages" which allows you to view each of the registered Home & search pages(reg & custom re-directs)installed (likely 4-6 each). It allows you to delete any you don't want there and enter those that you do.

Another tool is Browser Helper Objects (BHO's) which it'll let you disable 1 by 1.

There are also many, many other useful tools included. I don't use all parts of the program but sure am thankful for many of them.

Spybot Home & download links:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html

Spybot Removal Instructions/Reg fix for un-installing:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

Did you install/tech install/ do you have a MS TOOLBAR attached to
you're IE? Bing likely connected there if so.

If you have Firefox, then Google is the default search engine there
and that may be source of pop-up "not default" if Mozilla is loading before IE . You may be able to disable Google as default in FF settings which would likely stop the battle. Good Luck! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.