It sounds like you could have a virus or other malware. Get your antivirus program up to date and boot into Safe Mode. Note that some viruses can hide themselves from your antivirus program in normal mode, so you really need to scan in Safe Mode. To get into Safe Mode when you first power up, hit F8 about once a second until you get the menu and select Safe Mode. Then run a full system scan.
Microsoft has suggestions and offerings at
MS forum moderator Keith has some suggestions along this line at
If that fixes it, fine. If not, use System Restore to go back to a date prior to the beginning of the problem. To run System Restore, click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. Click the box that says Show more restore points.
You can check for corrupted system files. Open an administrator command prompt and run SFC if the above doesn't help. Click START, then type CMD in the search box, right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator. Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.
Finally if all else fails, you can check the rather cryptic system event log. To do that click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Once in Event Viewer click on the system log and scroll through the entries looking for those flagged "error" to see if you can find hints as to where the problem could be.
When you get your system back in good working order, I urge you to back your system up to an external hard drive and make regular periodic updates to it.
I hope this helps. Good luck.
Here are my symptoms and the actions I've tried:
Windows XP Pro SP3 with all automatic updates applied.
IE8 with all updates applied.
Windows Security Essentials as virus software with automatic updates.
Two years + with no problems.
Recently ran Cleanup with compression (ran a LOOOONG time) which finished normally. Continued working and shutdown. When I rebooted the next morning, I have found the following symptoms:
1. Cannot launch programs from desktop shortcuts
2. Quick Launch is gone from desktop toolbar and when I add it back it disappears again after restart
3. Search function does not work from Start Menu or on Windows Explorer
4. IE8 will not start (starts, but immediately ends)
5. I must start all programs by accessing Program Files and doing OPEN on the requested programs
6. Google Chrome will work when accessed via Program Files/Open
7. Outlook will not recognize Word as my editor (tells me it is not installed)
8. Malwarebytes will not install
9. Malwarebytes Chameleon will not work (will not launch DOS prompt as expected on any selection)
10. Malwarebytes Rootkit finds nothing
11. Microsoft security Essentials full scan finds nothing
12. Doug Knox XP restore of file associations has no effect
13. Several registry updates for repairing EXE problems and LNK problems has no effect
14. Reinstallation and update of IE8 has no effect
15. Comparing numerous registry entries with a working XP pc shows no differnces
16. Resetting IE8 and other settings to default has no effect.
17. Tried all of this in safe mode as well
18. Set up a new user id and recreated shortcuts with no effect
19. Searched the web diligently for any possible solutions for two days.
20. Tried suggested .LNK fixes
I have absolutely no clue what to do next. I am a volunteer with a non-profit organization and really NEED my Outlook to work. I know I'm back-level on my technology, but I can't do anything about it right now.
Can anyone help me, pleeeeeease!!