Storage forum

General discussion

Cannot acces External Hard Drive , Will Not Start Up.. Help

by pace60 / June 25, 2010 9:29 AM PDT

Hi Everyone I am sorry if this is long but I want to give as much information as i can about this... Please in need of any ideas.

I have a WD 1TB ExHD via USB and power cord to power the 3.5 drive.
My Desktop/lasptop Operating systems are XP-sp 2&3, Vista 32bit&64bit..

This hard drive is my presious she has never been dropped or wrongly traeated in any matter as on all of my computers I have as much minimal datat saved on the internal drives(only OPsystems, ceritan work programs eg. frutiy loops, Microsoft office packs and visual basics) EVERYTHING i mean lol EVERYTHING my Life is on this drive as this is my main drive i use... I do also have 2 500g ExHD and also a 320g External.But they are fine.

The only thing which i have done recently that i can think of which i dont normally do and have only done on one other occasion is connect my main External to my PS3 system via USB. the hard drive was not recognized on the ps3 system even if i pressed triangle then display all files. so i left it at that and began playing a ps3 game. handed ps3 controller over to a friend and went to complete work on another pc. came back WD drive was unplugged , I then done what i normaly do an plugged it into my laptop which i use with visual to save a program which i had been working on BUT when inserted i heard the normal plug and ply sounds. it even cam up as WD extral drive inserted or something close to that in the bubble on taskbar..

ONCE in My computer drive will usually came up as WD_BOOK#: (where # is will be slot plugged into) But this time it just came up with the Drive#:
I had gone through properties it shows as being drive as full all blue but size of drive 0bytes.. all it wants to do when explored or opened is format.. I cant do this as i have work related files which i use as a way of living and need these files... Please I am open to all ideas even if i have tried them.. I will let you know if i have or not.. Please please please Silly

sorry about the novel.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot acces External Hard Drive , Will Not Start Up.. Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot acces External Hard Drive , Will Not Start Up.. Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
At the top of this forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2010 11:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Other ways which will cost less time.
by pace60 / June 25, 2010 11:58 AM PDT

Thank you i will give it a go. I had a feeling there was a problem reading the NTFS but i was just unsure if i was going to get my data back, But would it just be this? And if so would there be a way to fix this corrupted data, without formatting the entire drive.. Over the course of 24hr this has to be the best link or advice seen on the whole net of phrases and sentences that i have typed into search engines.... Most of them would have taken 20hr+ to fix the corrupted allocation table... and still would have cost me $25+.... On this drive it is almost full with work related data.. at least 875G

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2010 11:04 PM PDT

But your question tells me you wrote this before reading the noted top sticky post. You must try those titles to find out the answer.

And if it cost 25 bucks and you write it's not worth that, then we just set the worth of the files to "less than 25 dollars."

Collapse -
But it is worth my pay checks..
by pace60 / June 26, 2010 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

I have already brought NTFS software to help fix the problem but the drive wont show up at all while using this.. it had cost me 25usd... not worth it as dont bother buying it.. just like i were to buy tampons.. what could i use them for when im a male besides trhowing them around for my kitten to play with.. mousy mousy lol

Collapse -
You should tell which one failed you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2010 10:08 AM PDT

GETDATABACK and ZAR usually fare well. The top post is well worn advice and when it fails the news is grim. Try the old move the hard drive to a desktop internally or another USB case.

Beats the price you see at data recovery houses.

Collapse -
Just a question.
by Kees Bakker / June 25, 2010 11:39 PM PDT

Where's your backup?

After all, restoring data from a backup is much faster and much cheaper than paying a data recovery company to do what it can (which might not be recovering all your data, but just a part).

Collapse -
Back ups are key, But life brings surprises
by pace60 / June 26, 2010 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a question.

My back ups were on my main pc which i use for multimedia development. on this pc I had 2 500g internal drives.. (main) one is partitioned to allow enough os to run very very very clean.. but two weeks before this external drive had its little problem.. my internal drive which i back up onto has gone MIA? it cannot be located anywhere even through bios.. It was original using serial ATA, i then did try to use IDE with no luck.. i then classed this as a brick.. this is why i am in soo much need to gain most if not all data back..

Collapse -
If you lose a backup ...
by Kees Bakker / June 26, 2010 11:00 PM PDT

you've got one copy less. Prudency says to replace it immediately. Your case shows that even waiting 2 weeks can be fatal.

Collapse -
PS about that PS3
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2010 11:43 PM PDT

When we plug any storage device into other machines the risk is always there that said machine, device, PC, what ever it is could write or change the external hard drive and create trouble.

So let's find out if the PS3 supports NTFS by a little google research. If I try I find the answer.

Just to spell it out, never plug a NTFS drive into your PS3. Or else.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.