Samsung forum

General discussion

Can you use any USB wifi adapter on a Sammy LCD?

by unpaidintern / May 16, 2009 8:10 AM PDT

I just purchased a UN55b8000 and want to hookup the wifi to utilize all of the internet features on the TV.

Can you use any USB wifi adapter on these TV's or do you have to have the Samsung WIS09ABGN adapter? I purchased Samsungs adapter but at a premium cost and if I could use any wifi adapter I would return this in a second.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you use any USB wifi adapter on a Sammy LCD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you use any USB wifi adapter on a Sammy LCD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you use any USB wifi adapter on a Sammy LCD?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 16, 2009 8:16 AM PDT

unpaidintern,

Most adapters require a driver in order to work. Since there's no way to load 3rd party drivers into the television, the LinkStick is the only USB device that I know of that works.

The good news is that since only one works, we've been able to streamline support issues, so if you do run into a problem, we can help get you connected easier, too.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Got it.
by unpaidintern / May 16, 2009 8:22 AM PDT

I see, that makes sense. Thanks!

Collapse -
wifi
by skyscanr / May 17, 2009 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Got it.

Instead of a USB adapter you could have got a cheap ($30) belkin router and put it on bridge mode and just plug the Ethernet cable into it and go wireless that way to your home network.

While this is not as compact as a USB adapter it does give you ports to plug in other home theater devices to get them wireless on your home network

Collapse -
Great idea!
by unpaidintern / May 17, 2009 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: wifi

Awesome idea. Thanks, I think I will do that, it will probably be a better solution since it would be great to be able to plug in some other devices. Great tip!

Collapse -
one more thing
by skyscanr / May 19, 2009 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Great idea!

You will have to hookbthe router up to a computer one time to put it n bridge mode and give it your networks wireless password but after that it's great . You will also be able to use it as a a wireless range extended. I have it this way in our bedroom for the he player, Bly ray and my direcv hd boxes

Collapse -
WiFi for LN55A950
by dineshdhir / December 24, 2009 5:51 AM PST
In reply to: one more thing

When the router is in bridge mode, does it automatically offer other WiFi devices to connect to it wirelessly.....or do they necessarily need to connect to it via Ethernet ?
My current router (AT&T U-verse gateway) does not have the range to reach the master bedroom. If I were to buy say a Belkin router to have my Samsung TV (LN55A950) connect to the router (via Ethernet to facilitate internet access), can I use the same Belkin router as a "range extender" and have WiFi-access enabled in the master bedroom ?
Appreciate guidance............also what is the best "range extender" router for me to buy ?

Collapse -
How does it work
by dji13 / May 12, 2012 1:01 PM PDT
In reply to: wifi

How exactly would you go from there as you'd not have it on any display or screen to configure it

Collapse -
Convert to internet ready tv
by SaurabhDeshmukh82 / June 11, 2012 3:22 PM PDT

Hi,
I purchased a samsung UA32EH5000R HD TV. can i use it for browsing the net or streaming through wifi - are there any adapters available?

Thanks

Collapse -
Re: Convert to internet ready tv
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 11, 2012 11:50 PM PDT

SaurabhDeshmukh82,

Thanks for your message. But just so you know, if you want Samsung support, I support US products and customers. And from what I can tell, this model is for the Arab Emirates. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) So while I can't help you directly, if you want Samsung help to find the right product, here's the Samsung Arab Emirates portal for support on that product: http://www.samsung.com/ae/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UA32EH5000RXZN

Hope this helps you!

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
The adaper I use is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2012 3:46 AM PDT

A Logitech Revue. On a 32 inch screen I think you'll like this one.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.