Video Games & Consoles

General discussion

Can you use a wired xbox360 controller on the original xbox?

by johncpatterson / November 22, 2005 2:21 PM PST

Can you use a wired xbox360 controller on the original xbox? Just wondering, thanks.

-John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you use a wired xbox360 controller on the original xbox?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you use a wired xbox360 controller on the original xbox?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wired xbox 360 controller
by chemjam / November 23, 2005 2:43 AM PST

No you cannot use the new xbox 360 controller on the old xbox. The new xbox 360 is a usb device. It can however be used as a PC gamepad with proper driver download.

Collapse -
FYI
by karaoke4life / March 5, 2007 1:21 AM PST

Um... chemjam, the origninal xbox is also usb. It has a different jack, but it is usb. There is an adapter that will convert from the xbox usb jack to a standard usb jack. Now, as far as the 360 controller working on the xbox using this adapter I can not say as I have not tried it.

....."by chemjam - 11/23/05 10:43 AM
In reply to: Can you use a wired xbox360 controller on the original xbox? by johncpatterson
No you cannot use the new xbox 360 controller on the old xbox. The new xbox 360 is a usb device. It can however be used as a PC gamepad with proper driver download."

Collapse -
lol
by stormj99 / January 2, 2012 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: FYI

I happen to have a third party afterglow 360 controller which has the old connector with an adapter to connect to usb.

Collapse -
HELP
by rlclay / March 20, 2007 9:28 AM PDT

I am running vista 32 and am trying to use a wireless xbox360 controller by adding the usb cable to it and running it into vista. Vista finds it but does not recognize it and cannot find the drivers. Where can I get the drivers

Collapse -
(NT) Try: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/download.mspx
by John.Wilkinson / March 22, 2007 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: HELP
Collapse -
ok, im just gona through this out there...
by drhart4000 / April 11, 2008 12:32 PM PDT

I know this post is old. But don't make posts unless you have researched ur information. You gave a completely false answer to someone. I am not here to say the 360 controller will work on the original xbox... But apparently you have no idea how the xbox works. The original xbox has full usb functionality. M$ just striving to be different, made a custom port to try and fool people, guess it worked, fooled you.

The xbox is just a low-mid(in its time) end computer. know with that understanding. the 360 controller and regular controller are both USB gamepads. Now I am willing to bet that the xbox will not recignize the 360 controller as a xbox 1 controller, NOTE: I do not know this as a fact. If it does not, I am sure the driver can be ported for the 360 controller and loaded into memory via a custom dashboard.

Now is it work all the modding to get a 360 controller to work on the original xbox? You decide!

I am going to atempt to get my wireless controller to work on my xbox with the pc reciver module avaliable from M$, If it works sweet, if not... then maybe I'll mod the dash myself. I'll keep you posted :D.

It's an intresting project to me.

Collapse -
Eureka!
by gb33 / April 12, 2008 9:13 AM PDT

Please keep me posted. Wireless would be even better of course. I was under the impression as well that the original Xbox controller plug while propietary was still a USB in disguise. So your theory is if you cut off the ends and spliced the wires then replace with the Xbox one plug, it should work? That is worth $35 and some spare time to me to try and figure it out. Wireless eh?

Collapse -
Not for sure...
by drhart4000 / April 12, 2008 12:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Eureka!

I am not for sure as they are 2 different controllers as the 360 controller indeed contains the guide button, besides that the only difference is the white and black buttons are now the top bumpers.

basically what you said yes, is what im going to do, except I have already made a xbox to female usb cable wich will take any standard usb device...

I plan to purchase the wireless receiver some time this week(after the weekend).

As I have said in my first post, I am not 100% sure it will work as they are different controllers, and even on the pc they use 2 different drivers to work under windows.

But if it does work I will let you know, I may even make a quick tutorial... if it involves making a custom/porting a driver for it, idk when i will have time to do it...

As I've seen in another post here, you can find controllers that are simular to the 360 cont. (not exact, but close) from madcatz that use bumbers for black and white buttons and have a smaller design then the s controllers...

Collapse -
Any news yet
by gb33 / January 22, 2008 10:46 AM PST

I would really like to know this as well. I only play a couple old Xbox games (nfl 2k5 and MVP 2005) but I really love the 360 controller. But not enough to buy the 360 just for these old games.

Collapse -
Read the second post
by Jimmy Greystone / January 22, 2008 1:55 PM PST
In reply to: Any news yet

Read the second post in this discussion where the answer is an unequivocal no. It's unlikely these days, but you might be able to find a 360 style controller for the original Xbox if you look hard enough.

Collapse -
by markluster / February 20, 2012 10:02 PM PST

YES YOU CAN I CURRENTLY DO IT NOW.

Collapse -
wow
by freakk_yea / June 22, 2012 5:01 PM PDT
In reply to: ..
<b>how is that possible? i broke my old controller but i have a 360 one and a flashdriver (femaleusb-integrated to xboxmaleusb) so i can simply connect it: at first the 4 gudebutton leds illuminate but it doesn't happen anything the xbox doesn't recognize it what do i have to do in order to get it working please answer guys this is important for me i have the xbox from 2005 and i softmodded it in 2011 i will not buy soon a 360 and i don't want to buy something from internet it seems difficult for me, please answer i will really appreciate it Grin good luck</b>
Collapse -
GODDAMIT!
by freakk_yea / July 15, 2012 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: ..

FUCKIN'HELL Angry CAN ANYONE ANSWER!!?? SadCrySadCry

Collapse -
That's not going to invite folk to answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2012 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: GODDAMIT!

And the replies above do seem to answer the original question. If you want to make a new question, then a new post is best.

The fact you don't want to buy from stores or the internet means your choices are to search other places but since you may be asking that folk find it in your city may limit who can help.
Bob

Collapse -
what?
by freakk_yea / August 10, 2012 11:31 PM PDT

seriously , i don't understand what you mean

Collapse -
Look at you post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2012 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: what?

Would you want to talk to folk that are writing such?

This post has reached the end so it's now closed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.