Windows 7 forum

Question

Can you upload mail to Exchange from 2 workstations

by WTwistedM / August 9, 2012 8:51 PM PDT

Good Day everyone

I would just like to clear up the question, don't have much space on there.

I also need to apologize if this request doesn't fall into the correct topic as I was looking for the Microsoft Server section, but I just need to know the outcome of a process.

When a User is setup to Exchange using MS Server 2003, 2008 or 2011 and there are a lot of mail content to upload to the mailbox, and also this User is working on 2 workstations. For example a Desktop at the office and a Notebook traveling home with the User.

I have to in several occasions upload the mail using 1 workstation and then let the other download which means that this is something awful to wait for sometimes. And all I need to know if you import the mail directly into the workstation for the uploading if importing it into the second workstation will create duplicates on the Exchange.

I haven't had a chance to test this with dummy accounts or anything to see the outcome and if possible this would save me much time in the future.

I have tried to find an answer in this forums but not even Google can understand what I'm really asking for.

I hope there is some good news waiting for me and looking forward to see what are the options.

Many thanks in advance

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you upload mail to Exchange from 2 workstations
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you upload mail to Exchange from 2 workstations
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Exchange
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 9, 2012 9:00 PM PDT

How do you mean "import a mail into a workstation", "upload to the mailbox", "upload using a workstation", "download using a workstation", "import for uploading"?
And how can somebody work at the office and at home at the same time?

By the way, what email client are we talking about?

Kees

Collapse -
Exchange
by WTwistedM / August 12, 2012 6:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Exchange

Hi Kees

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if there were a few unclear things. Will explain below.

We have 100's of clients (different companies) that uses Exchange and more and more of them are starting to use Exchange. The industry we work in regarding our clients are mostly in the Filming industry. So these guys travel and travel and work and work.

So when it comes to the point where we have to create Exchange accounts for a new client, we need to take their POP mail history and make this part of the exchange. Now these guys will use Outlook 2003, Entourage 2004 (Mac), Outlook 2007, Entourage 2008 (Mac), Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2011 (Mac), Sometimes they will use Mac Mail.

We as a small IT company that doesn't pay thousands for the extra utilities from 3rd parties and so forth, we make way with what Microsoft gives us. And when it comes to making the POP mail history part of the Exchange, we simply import this into a workstation with any of the above mentioned clients, and this will Synchronize (upload) the mail to the Exchange Mailbox sitting on the Exchange Server.

Then last thing is, some of our clients work from home and at the office or on the road for that matter, so we need to collect that machine the client uses at home and also configure Exchange on there. But it takes long as we need to wait for the first import to finish upload to the Exchange before it is able to pull down to the second machine. The second machine can obviously only download Exchange items that has been uploaded. So in theory it will go faster if the POP mail history was also imported to the second machine's client. Becaus ethen the client can have his machine back while the mail Synchronizes on it's own time.

My question is only, when mail is Synchronizing to the exchange from 2 clients at the same time to the same Exchange account. Will the Exchange Server create duplicates when this mail is uploading to the server or is Exchange clever enough to see that they are the same items?

One person will only do this to save time as this process takes hours to finish for the syncing.

Many Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.