Cameras forum

General discussion

Can you trust Canon lens and its service any more?

by jimmyxu / July 9, 2008 10:40 AM PDT

After few weeks checking reviews, searching comments on the web, I finally bought a new Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS lens from eBay for $1100 (to save few hundred Australian dollars). Maybe like most of you out there, I think, I trusted Canon qualities, especially with a highly ranked product. But not this time. Half photos taken with this lens have the quality par with my 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 kit lens (<$100) and other half are very blurry. When checking its IS, with wide open (f2.8), photos with IS on even worse than those with IS off. Not happy with the lens, send it to Canon for repair (Sydney, Australia), expecting to be returned in two weeks (standard repairing time). After two weeks, called Canon and found out that it was still on the shell and no one has touched it yet. Anyone had similar experience like this with Canon? Should it still be a trusted brand?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you trust Canon lens and its service any more?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you trust Canon lens and its service any more?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
a first for me

That's the first time I've read a problem with the quality of the 17-55mm. Every single time, on dpreview.com and stevesdigicams.com forums, the lens is given the highest respect and admiration from the owners. I haven't even heard of one being mis-calibrated. Even L lens don't look that different, in good lighting, compared to the 18-55IS. You buy the 17-55 for the faster focusing, better build, and the 2.8 aperture while retaining IS.

Collapse -
Unfortunately I am an unlucky one
by jimmyxu / July 9, 2008 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: a first for me

I brought the lens for the same reason as you mentioned. Fast f2.8 with IS. But it didn't work :(.
My 18-55 is not IS version and I heard it is far better than my 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II lens. I haven?t seen any comparison between 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 and 17-55 f2.8 IS. I assume they are not comparable.

Collapse -
not really

The non-IS 18-55mm is noticeably below the image quality of the new IS version. They made a really good lens....almost too good to have people upgrade later unless they need the faster lens.

Collapse -
If you shoot from a tripod with an IS lense, you should be
by Kiddpeat / July 9, 2008 1:18 PM PDT

turning off the IS. Using IS on a tripod causes problems with focus. That's what Canon says. That's all I can think of.

My Canon equipment works very well. I have had one camera (film) that needed repair, but everything else thus far has been trouble free.

Collapse -
No IS on tripod
by jimmyxu / July 9, 2008 1:43 PM PDT

Read this somewhere. Many thanks. To test IS, I did hand hold or no point.

Collapse -
Maybe just bad luck?
by xxIchiKokoxx / July 11, 2008 11:53 AM PDT

I had my 24-105mm f/4 fixed for the flaring problem, which some 24-105mm f/4 lens had, and they were fast and responded within days. I havent had a problem with their customer service at least not yet.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.