Android

Question

Can you mirror Android Phone screen to AppleTv or Roku?

by KjelstromJason / June 20, 2012 4:34 AM PDT

I have an android phone but i would like to mirror the screen on to the TV. If that requires an apple tv or roku that isn't a problem, but how?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you mirror Android Phone screen to AppleTv or Roku?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you mirror Android Phone screen to AppleTv or Roku?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
To do this you would
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 4:38 AM PDT

Become a developer of apps for android and the roku. I'm guessing you were looking for something made today but you didn't find it.

Once in awhile a member will ask why such software wasn't created. Most of the time there is no need since there are existing solutions such as a video cable (I have one for my phone!)
Bob

Collapse -
Doesn't address the need
by BitsysDad / July 27, 2012 12:25 PM PDT
In reply to: To do this you would

I think the author wanted wireless mirroring, at least that's what it would be using an AppleTV which receives an iPad's screen stream over a WiFi/LAN connection and transforms it for a wired HDMI link to an HDTV or HD projector. In a conference room or classrom setting, for example, that allows the presenter to walk around and present content directly from their iPad. I work with a university central IT service and am quite keen to find an Android technology that functions like AppleTV's wireless mirroring. The only thing I've been able to find to date is work being done by xBounds. Google search them and you'll even turn up a YouTube clip from xBounds demonstrating their prototype device that's clear and illuminating. I think that's the solution we're looking for but to my knowledge there's no known release date. I just noticed a reference to an AllShare Cast dongle and that also seems to be a good solution, including some enterprise/business apps but I could not find a release date for that one either. And the HTC Media Link HD seemed to me to be far too restrictive in several ways. As another possible solution, I think the concept of using a common Roku box is brilliant since the box hardware, software and functionality are mature and stable but the mirroring app aspects would indeed need to be developed. In any case, if anyone finds good solutions that are actually available for purchase, please speak up!

Collapse -
Now that I've seen HOWEVER
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2012 1:08 AM PDT

The speed of WiFi is not fast enough to move the screen over so it's not something folk would be happy with.

TODAY. NOW!!! We have VNC but only the folks that are simple users would not be able to get it to work. Maybe that's a good thing because the issue of speed could have the folk that don't understand the system (wifi speeds, etc.) would be very upset.
Bob

Collapse -
Still unsure you appreciate the application need
by BitsysDad / July 28, 2012 9:59 AM PDT

While I've never (needed) to assess bandwidth requirements for iPad WiFi based mirroring, it's certainly adequate for HD movies on Amazon and I've never seen any loss artifacts from the (probably expertly and losslessly compressed) iPad mirrored display so I don't have any reason to believe that should be an issue. Indeed, it all works just fine with an iPad 3rd Gen and AppleTV. You might want to check it out some day in an Apple store.

We're just interested in the same functionality for Android devices and your responses haven't seemed to be addressing that at all.

I've been using VNC (TightVNC up to now and RealVNC this year when I needed best of breed for iOS and the desktop OS's) for years and I certainly could be mistaken but I don't know of any way to use it for mirroring the iOS (or presumably Android) device's display to an HDMI (room class) presentation display device. Conceptually it would require VNC *server* functionality in the mobile device and a *client* of some kind built-in to the presentation device adapter -- and I'm not aware of any such implementations or plans. It would also be an odd and grossly overcomplicated way to do something pretty simple -- transporting a compressed full-screen image stream from the mobile device to the display adapter. Do you do any wireless mirroring at all and if so using what technologies? With due respect, your answers thus far suggest not.

In any case, it certainly looks like the xBounds and the AllShare Cast devices may do he trick once they're available. If you have any actual experience or clear knowledge of any other promising approaches, please do let us know.

Collapse -
Why I can't address this for Android.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2012 1:59 AM PDT

There's no app for that unless you count VNC.

ACTUAL Experience is VNC for a demo where we needed to show the screen during the demo. But it's far too fiddly and it FAILS for you in a few ways.

As a hardware and software designer and author (I do write stuff!) I know some of the stuff underneath.

So why isn't VNC a fix for now? I'm only guessing you don't want the PC on the other end.
Bob

Collapse -
Incorrect
by Osiris_Indigo / September 4, 2012 12:26 AM PDT

Incorrect.

Wifi is more that adequate. Tell the millions of people that use Airplay between mac, ipad and appleTV everyday that Wifi isn't fast enough. I also use plex to stream video from PC to Roku everyday. Of course, the Roku and Apple TV boxs connect to their HD video sources over Wifi anyway.

Of course it can be done over wifi. All the poster wants is the same functionality that the Apple TV box already has!

Collapse -
Then show me the solutions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2012 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Incorrect

Calling me out like this is fine, but did you supply a solution? (No.)

So it seems you didn't and for now I'm correct. There's some reason why this is not out.

I'm sure it will happen soon, but since you didn't supply the app's name and more, it's not out?
Bob

Collapse -
Calling Out?
by Osiris_Indigo / September 4, 2012 2:31 AM PDT

Hardly. Your assessment that Wifi is too slow is what I called out because numerous apps on numerous platforms already do what you said wasn't possible. I stream over wifi with PLEX to the Roku everyday. With a little bit of hunting I found "Juice" for Roku that sounds like it will do a great deal of what Airplay does by allowing you mirror many apps on Android to a Roku box.

But again, my comments were not directed specifically at finding a mirroring app for Roku, instead just to make sure that the community knew that you indeed COULD stream over wifi. A streamed screen content would be no different than streaming an HD movie.

Collapse -
So let's see that app.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2012 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Calling Out?

WiFi is not up to the task of mirroring a display at the rate needed to play a movie.

And it appears you are confusing streaming a movie with mirroring a display. My background includes video work in DVRs, embedded systems and more.

I'd love to see anyone get a mirror app that could do 1080p over wifi to the speed that is needed but the lag time involved means those that wanted such are usually upset. That is, the GAMER is miffed and unhappy. The person that thought they could mirror the display to play a movie is also upset as the frame rates fall among other issues.

To fix this, you see wireless HDMI solutions. And that's not wifi and it's not "streaming."

-> Thanks for the replies but as the man said "Show me the app."
Bob

Collapse -
Complicating things, aren't you Bob?
by LostNut / October 24, 2012 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: So let's see that app.
Collapse -
Not at all. But I know DoubleTwist and no screen mirror.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2012 5:55 AM PDT

Thanks for the note about DoubleTwist but where is the screen mirror feature KjelstromJason asked for?
Bob

Collapse -
Dude your wrong
by DarSwede / November 1, 2012 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: So let's see that app.

Rong Proffitt your completely misinformed.

WiFi is currently mirroring displays at rates needed to play a movie, a game, and any multimedia event you can think of.

I have both Android and iPads, iPhones,and a Macbook Air. They mirror over WiFi, show videos, whatever is on your screen is on the TV seamless and fluid with no stuttering, slowdowns, screen refresh issues or nothing. I can see my mouse not he screen, here the sound from my PC. I play Call of Duty over my AirPlay over WiFi all the time. Everything, all via a wireless WiFi connection via Apple TV. Yes it done today and very normal.
Android obviously doesn't have the capability to do this due to its non-centralized framework. It must depend on third-party apps to pull this off, if they ever do this internally. The only thing Android needs is a protocol to communicate over WiFi all the time.

Visit an Apple store near you for a demonstration.

Collapse -
Show me the app.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Dude your wrong

You told me to go to Apple for a demo which is OK but where is the Android app and demo?

We know this is possible but where is it?

Show me the app.
Bob

Collapse -
sorry for the misspellings
by DarSwede / November 1, 2012 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Dude your wrong

sorry for the misspellings I was using this new Nexus 7 and its not the best at voice typing.

R.P. Your point about show me the app is correct. Your point about WiFi is wrong.

Collapse -
Dang dude!!
by DarSwede / November 1, 2012 4:12 AM PDT
Confused Are you waiting for replys on this thread that was fast!! I am impressed. lol
Collapse -
The forum sends me an alert on tracked threads.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Dang dude!!

I'm hoping that someone will write this app. There's a lot that has to happen for this to work and on the older slower Androids I don't see enough CPU power to crunch the frame sizes down (that's called encoding) to get the HD display over in time.
Bob

Collapse -
Latest on Dream Chip xBounds for Android Mirroring to HDMI
by BitsysDad / November 1, 2012 6:44 AM PDT

Those of you interested in this topic may want to keep an eye on Dream Chip xBounds. Here's the latest YouTube from them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlx7Z6j_An4

It looks like they're making good progress but I infer that they may need a purchaser/manufacturer before we'll see the technology in catalogues. They've been working on it for a long time now ... but it does keep getting better and better so there's hope.

-- Jim

Collapse -
Answer
For BitsysDad. I never write it was not possible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 12:41 PM PDT

Just that it's not out yet. And those that wanted it now may have to dive in and create it.

There's still issues with slower Androids whether they can do the encoding and what else at the same time.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Recently possible, but only for rooted devices with KitKat
by Phil-R- / March 25, 2014 1:41 AM PDT

Search for Koushik Dutta's "Mirror" or Cyanogenmod CM11's screencast.

Everyone saying that "Wifi is too slow for movies" must be running 802.11b. Modern Wifi is well suited to screencasting. The quality if not as good as native, but acceptable.

Collapse -
Thanks. Closing this old thread.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2014 3:37 AM PDT

Let's call it dated information and hope if folk need this they'll ask in a new post. Times change and answers will change and be outdated as Android evolves.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.