Laptops forum

General discussion

Can you leave your laptop plugged in 24/7?

by Deluxe8520 / July 17, 2007 4:56 AM PDT

Hello everybody,

I use my Hp dv 9207 laptop as a desktop replacement. I use it on my desk 99% of the time. I shut down my pc every night but I leave the laptop plugged in 24/7. Is this safe? Will it destroy the battery or any of my laptop's hardware if I do this? What are the cons of doing this? Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you leave your laptop plugged in 24/7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you leave your laptop plugged in 24/7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We have this in a 500 plus discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2007 5:01 AM PDT

While today's laptops are designed to be plugged in 24x7, some laptops such as those desktop in a laptop form need a laptop cooler to run 24x7.

But most laptops will be just fine.

Bob

PS> If this discussion hits some 100 posts I'll link to the existing 500+ discussion and lock this thread.

Collapse -
Would this laptop be okay to plug in 24/7?
by Deluxe8520 / July 17, 2007 5:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
That's a normal laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2007 6:36 AM PDT

It may get a little warm but I've seen this model. If you plan on 24x7 operation get the laptop cooling pad. If it's just on AC that's what we do at the office and have done so for years.

Bob

Collapse -
Cant you just
by racemx2000 / July 17, 2007 6:50 AM PDT

run the laptop on AC power without the primary battery in it and not have to worry about frying it by leaving it on 24/7?

Collapse -
No that will have the same issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2007 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Cant you just

Worse yet when the power goes out the laptop will crash. All the benefits of the battery are gone.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Some think they can extend the battery by not using it. This has some long discussions and you can extend the battery by about 10% by non-use and further by storing it in the fridge in a dry ziplock bag with dessicant.

But then why do this? You'll become very annoyed that every little power dip resets your laptop.

If it's not the battery question then it's the use of a laptop as a server. For that I add the laptop cooling pad and leave the battery in as the UPS.

Hope this clears that up.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the responses but just to clarify
by Deluxe8520 / July 17, 2007 7:09 AM PDT

Just to clarify. I will not be running the laptop 24/7. I just want to leave it plugged in. I still shut down the laptop each night and run it about 7 hours a day.

If I understand correctly you are saying if I am running the laptop 24/7 I need the extra cooling but if its just plugged in yet shut down every night I should be okay?

Collapse -
Since it's not running 24x7
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2007 7:42 AM PDT

It's like the dozens of laptops at the office. We leave them plugged in.

Bob

Collapse -
I dont want to remove the battery if possible...
by Deluxe8520 / July 17, 2007 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Cant you just

The main reason I dont want to remove the battery is in case of a power outage. I can easily finish/save what im doing and shut down safely in case of a power outage. The battery backup saved me once already.

Collapse -
(NT) Laptop = computer with built in UPS.
by Coryphaeus / July 17, 2007 9:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
It's a good thing to
by orlbuckeye / July 17, 2007 9:48 AM PDT

reboot at least once a week to clear memory from memory leaks and other things that use up resources. Rebooting gives you a fresh start.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.