Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

PC Hardware

General discussion

Can you install an AGP video card, and PCI card together?

by elxr06 / November 21, 2006 4:34 AM PST

I have an ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series card (It's PCI). My friend's offering to give me his video card since he is getting a new PC. My friend's card is AGP type.

Is it possible to install both cards and get them to work together?

My computer is an AMD 64 3500+, Operating System = windows XP Home edition SP2.

Thanks,
elxr06

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you install an AGP video card, and PCI card together?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you install an AGP video card, and PCI card together?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2006 4:45 AM PST

That's how some multiple display systems are made.

Collapse -
Thanks ... but
by elxr06 / November 21, 2006 5:04 AM PST
In reply to: Yes.

Thanks for the information, but to use the two cards, does it require that I have two computer monitors? And is there any special drivers or software needed to run them together?

By the way, I think both video cards are different brand (such as nvidia and ati for example)

Collapse -
Yes to both.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2006 5:06 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks ... but

"Thanks for the information, but to use the two cards, does it require that I have two computer monitors?"

Absolutely. Why else would this be done?

"And is there any special drivers or software needed to run them together?"

I'll write no. Just the video drivers that you usually install with said cards.

"By the way, I think both video cards are different brand (such as nvidia and ati for example)"

Nice!

Bob

Collapse -
The can't work at the same time.
by wygifi / November 22, 2006 9:31 AM PST

The Xpress 200 is an IGP (integrated graphics processor). To install the AGP GPU (graphics processing unit), disable the onboard video in the BIOS first. Then, install the AGP card, have the BIOS detect that, boot into Windows, and install the drivers. They won't work together, but most AGP cards (even the Radeon 9000 series) can support multiple monitors, so you can get multiple displays with one GPU.

Collapse -
What do you mean by "work together"?
by Bulbous2 / November 22, 2006 10:06 AM PST

It all depends what you mean by "work together". If you want to have a two monitor system, with an extended or cloned desktop, then you shouldn't have problems.

If you are thinking of the modern systems that use two video cards that work together for double the processing power (i.e. Nvidia SLi or ATI Crossfire), then you are out of luck.

Collapse -
You don't butter both sides of your breadslice.
by shyamalmitra / November 22, 2006 11:28 AM PST

My freind, an AGP Card and a PCI-VGA card will not function simultaneously together on any PC after both are mounted/installed as they are mutually incompatible.

Installation of any hardware on a PC means to have it mounted internally onto the mainboard or attached externally through a port AND make it functional by running its driver software which plugs onto the computer's registry and occupies without any conflict in the system's IRQ.

A mainboard may not have (by the merit of its design) an AGP slot at all and have instead an on board PCI-VGA port. An AGP card here is of no use at all! (Older Intel 430/433/440 BX/VX/TX boards had only ISA/PCI slots to mount only ISA-VGA/PCI-VGA cards). Now there is a possibility of a mainboard providing an AGP slot and a PCI-VGA port as well. Here you can mount an AGP card but once you do that the PCI port gets automatically inactivated. In some old PCs the BIOS needs to be reset, changing the video output from an AGP instead of the onboard PCI port after a switchover from PCI to AGP mode of viewing.

If your PC does not have an AGP slot forget your friend's AGP card for good. If it has one then see what memory and speed (Ratings: 4X/8X/16X.....) that AGP card has to offer, and if your PCI card/onboard PCI has more or equivalent memory/memory allocation, you will do your computer no improvement by mounting it. If however the AGP card has greater memory and graphic acceleration, and is a must for certain advanced graphics that your PCI card/port does not support, go ahead and mount it. Once you do so your PCI card/port will stop functioning. Plug in your Monitor's video cable to the PCI port now, and you will get no signals. Remove the AGP Card and your PCI-VGA functions again.

Nowadays PCI-VGA/Super PCI Cards also come with 8X/16X/32X graphic acceleration and have DDR memories upto 512MB. So in case your main board does not have an AGP mounting slot, do not despair and buy an advanced PCI card with equivalent video output ratings as an AGP card and carry on your advanced graphics work.

Collapse -
Yes, AGP vid and PCI vid ARE compatable
by albizzia / November 22, 2006 2:41 PM PST

I've had a system running with both a AGP video card and a PCI video card, for a dual monitor desktop, running Win 98se. My current setup has a video onboard,(no AGP) as well as a PCI video card, running Win XP.

The only really tricky part was getting the OS to activate both cards - it started with just one, and I had to set the OS to use both. Once configured, no problem!

Hypothetically, certain video cards may not be compatable with certain other cards, but I've never heard of that happening.

Collapse -
Dual AGP and PCI setup
by dbergey--2008 / December 4, 2006 4:21 AM PST

I have an Windows XP system, intel board with AGP slot and 4 pci slots, been running with just the AGP only, today added a PCI Cyrus card to run two monitors. cannot get the second card to run, installs properly and all, but device manager says driver cannot start. i also noticed in the system bios on boot up that it says under video, AGP or PCI for the one the computer will boot too.

How did you get yours to work? both cards and monitors at the same time?

Collapse -
You have a PCI-E card not a PCI
by Bulbous2 / November 23, 2006 4:07 AM PST

Oops! I stand corrected. It is a fact that AGP and PCI cards can work together to provide dual-monitor capability. However, after reading the above post, I realized that you do not have a traditional PCI card. You have a PCI Express card (PCI-E, what the above poster was referring to as PCI-VGA) and it sounds like it's onboard as well.

Do you even *have* an AGP port in your motherboard? I'd check that out first!

Collapse -
H'mmmmm
by macdc2007 / December 20, 2007 5:13 PM PST

I just took the time to read through this forum. First off i have been looking for the answer to a question i was already sure of..The part about have the two video cards work together to enhance processing power. I noted that in this direct forum however it is stated that a PCI, and AGP video card will not function together..How ever i have a AGP, and PCI slot cards installed on my computer..One is a Nvidia Quatro 700 AGP slot card. Also a Nvidia G force Fx 5500 Pci slot card. These two cards i have Simultaneously active of my system, so that i may switch from card to card. With out the removal of the video monitor cable. Thus i have been able, with a automatic setting through bios to allow myself to switch between video cards. However the statement about them functioning together as one card to allow for boosted performance is very correct indeed. The only way that i know of accomplishing such a task is to have two duplicate cards wired hard, from one to another, while installing the drivers for both cards as normal.It's kind of like running dual processors, which i am. Both processors, need to match exact specs, and two vrm must accompany the processors.The cache, Front side bus, volts, and speed of the processors not to menchen vrm's must be all identical in order for them to function as one.. So..The only advice i can give..Is to try and match the video cards exactly.I have been able to get this to work, however the two cards i had were both very old PCI slot, and as we all know AGP is were the raw power is. As long as they are newer and updated cards. So best of luck with this, and i hope that might help.:)

Collapse -
Dual cards dual monitors
by cc2thmkr / April 19, 2009 1:31 AM PDT

This simply in not true. People have been doing this before crossfire or SLI was invented. It is bios related though. A mother board must support dual monitors with additional card and many have for many many years. I have dual cards with dual monitors and have on a few machines prior to crossfire and SLI and since. They were not the same cards or manufacturers. Drivers can get dicey.

Right now I have ATI AIW 9800 AGP 8x, AIW HDTV Wonder PCI (for picture in picture, input only) Matrox Graphics millennium II - PCI. The ATI AIW supports a VGA/DVI out and an s-video that can be cloned or separate. The third monitor works as well and similarly.

I cannot, however put in a lower level ATI card like a dual monitor 9200 to get more monitors because the catalyst drivers are incompatible. The two ATI card in now use the same drivers. A PCI Matrox dual output card ignores the bios AGP THEN PCI instruction and kick the ATI card to the second monitor. The TV won?t work then. A good reason not to mix input and output.

I could remove the redundant video input ATI AIW AGP 8x card and replace it with an AGP 8x dual monitor card and put another dual monitor card in a PCI slot and have four monitors. The Matrox desktop utility and the catalyst control center will both allow for multiple configurations, cloning all four, a few or all independent. Rotate stack side by side every which way until Sunday.

You do not have to have SLI or crossfire to run dual independent monitors. This is true only if you want the GPUs to work together for faster performance. I may not need crossfire but my next computer (long overdue) will have two PCIe 16 slots.

Collapse -
install Agp and Pci cards
by jw1ls5n0129 / November 22, 2006 11:42 PM PST

be on the safe side and make sure that the card is the correct voltage
a 3v is no good for a 1.5 ,could blow your motherboard .regards John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.