Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Phones

Question

Can you Imagine the World without Cellphone?

by ankaka2013 / April 28, 2013 12:49 AM PDT

Now a days many of the people using cellphones, 1 person having 2-3 cell phones and 8-10 different sim cards. The prices of Cellphones are very cheap in the wholesale cell phones market. Now a days, cell phone chargers also having it's solar power for charging. As per the survey of one powerful media, the users of wholesale iphone accessories are nearly 1,484,232,448 present. So, how is it possible to imagine World without cellphone? Can you?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you Imagine the World without Cellphone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you Imagine the World without Cellphone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Absolutely
by wpgwpg / April 28, 2013 1:06 AM PDT

I'm old enough to remember the world before cell phones. Even today I don't have one, don't need one, and don't have any thoughts about getting one. Before cell phones, people drove much better; you didn't see people failing to go when the light turns green, or people swerving outside of their lanes while jabbering and driving. You didn't see people in stores talking loud behind you, and you didn't see people in public places putzing with smart phones. Yep, I can definitely imagine that. If it were legal to carry a cell phone blocker in restaurants and grocery stores, I'd be among the first to carry one.

Collapse -
Cell phones are the most anti social device made
by wooff / May 3, 2013 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Absolutely

You only have to go almost anywhere to all of the poor sods texting & talking in there own micro worlds
I WANT A CELL BLOCKER.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove email address to protect against spam on 05/04/2013 at 7:59 AM PT

Collapse -
You do know ....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 4, 2013 10:31 PM PDT

....that cell phone jammers/blockers are illegal ?

Collapse -
jammers
by wooff / May 5, 2013 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: You do know ....

Ok they may be illegal in USA but i am 10000 miles from you

Collapse -
Jammers....
by btljooz / May 6, 2013 1:22 AM PDT

Jammers may be illegal for the average citizen, but there are prisons in the US that are starting to use them because cell phones are considered "contraband" there and there are too many inmates getting them smuggled into them in various ways. Smuggling items considered contraband is illegal and, in most, if not all, states caries a hefty punishment of and in itself.

Collapse -
The honest truth
by creator12241959 / May 16, 2013 3:00 AM PDT

Cell Phone blockers/jammers are in routine, daily, use, inside the United States, by various branches of federal state and local government, as well as many healthcare providers.

Not illegal, just in les than widely known use.

Collapse -
I'm with you, wpgwpg ...to a point...
by btljooz / May 6, 2013 1:28 AM PDT

I also remember the "good ole' days" when the most distracting thing a driver could do was either swat the kids in the back seat or change the 8-track. Back then people DID drive a lot better, they had much better manners and respect, and they actually carried on personalized face to face discussions with much better grammar. I, too, would LOVE to be able to carry a cell phone blocker in certain places....one with a directional beam!

Collapse -
btw.....
by btljooz / May 6, 2013 1:36 AM PDT

I own a cell phone. It is NOT a "smart" phone. But it's about as close as one can get without it. It's a Samsung Rugby II. It is NOT connected to the internet. That's what I have a computer for. I do NOT use it while driving. I have absolutely no use for texting. It is a PHONE and I TALK on it! That is, when I'm not anywhere near my land line and I have the NEED to! Oh, in my old age have found it useful to store phone numbers on and it's a handy alarm/reminder clock, too!

Collapse -
RE: btw.....
by dj_erik / May 14, 2013 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: btw.....

I can honestly say that I'm jealous as hell. I work in IT, so constant contact to email/internet is considered a neccesity. I try and take a break for a weekend and I never hear the end of it, let alone actually take a vacation. In some ways, I guess it's the profession that I chose, but it's also the need for everyone else to have constant access to internet 24/7. So next time Google, Amazon, Netflix, etc takes a blip, think of all the people that have to rush into work to fix it...

Collapse -
Me Too!
by hitekman / May 14, 2013 10:04 AM PDT

I use it just as a phone. I don't even take it into movies, stores or restruants. If Aunt Martha dies while I'm earting lunch, she'll be just as dead afterwards......a few minutes won't make a difference.

Collapse -
phone-only cell phone
by mwooge / May 15, 2013 2:22 AM PDT

I have a Jitterbug, which is -only- a phone. Mostly it sits on my desk at home, but I take it with me when I'm driving long distances, in case of emergency. Though it was also useful a month ago when I was given the wrong address in an unfamiliar town.

Collapse -
cell phone anti-social behavior
by accordeoniste / May 14, 2013 11:16 AM PDT

It's unfair to only blame cell phones for rude peoples' behavior. Using a cell phone is only one of many stimuli that influence a person's behavior, the others being their financial situation, whether they're having a good day or a bad day, their breeding, how well-adjusted they are, etc. If they just lost their job they're either going to be eager to talk to strangers or in no mood to talk to a stranger. I think people have become less social as a rule, probably because of the fragmentation of our society and the associated rule of the U.S. by the wealthiest 1% of Americans. They're preoccupied with their own concerns, a factor that contributes to more cell phone use. I've found that people are less trusting of each other than they used to be. They're more distrustful of institutions.

Cell phones can serve to isolate people from each other, but they don't have to. I fully agree with Lee Koo in that regard. It's not how much power the cell phone and other technology, give us that matters. What matters is how we use the technology. I've used a cell phone faithfully since I finally became convinced of the need for one many years ago. It hasn't made me less sociable. I still have no hesitation in going up to strangers and striking up a conversation with them. I'm not bound by social mores and codes and am free to make new friends and acquaintances wherever I go, unlike, for example, men and women looking to meet prospective mates. Having easy access to friends and relatives is actually a disincentive to spend too much of my time speaking with them and not with people I don't know.

If you blame cell phones for our alienation from one another, you're also likely to blame computers, video games and any activity that is individual rather than group-oriented in nature. All of the these technologies can bring us closer together by enhancing communication. We need to learn to use these devices for that purpose rather than for self-absorption. That's why education is important, especially at the elementary and high school levels. It's easy to focus on that goal if we remember this simple but important slogan: In unity there's strength. Put another way: united we stand, divided we fall.

Collapse -
Technology does profoundly alter people's views of the world
by bluemist9999 / May 14, 2013 9:56 PM PDT

Even in the scientific field, people create theories based on what they see around them. In the Middle Ages, people tried to understand the world as a type of clockwork mechanism. Now, people try to see what goes on inside their minds as types of computer programs.

Granted, it's not the same as saying "cell phones make all people rude and inconsiderate." But, the more interactive a cell phone becomes, such as the jump from cell phones to smartphones, the more demanding they become. This means they will draw more on people's finite attention span, which means they will have less left over to interact with the world. Over time, this will indeed cause people to value other people and the outside world far less, and the world that goes on inside their phone far more.

If we compare this to a computer or computer game, most people don't bring their PC with them everywhere, and even portable game systems must be turned on and interacted with. So these can be put down and attention paid to the world around the person.

In contrast, cell phones, by their nature, demand attention any time one receives a phone call or other data-driven notification such as text message received. That's not to say they're not highly useful, but many people let their cell phones rule them because they demand attention. So, the net effect is more interactive cell phones -> less interactive people, since both are pulling on the same finite resource.

Collapse -
Re: cell phone anti-social behavior
by BKellyS / May 14, 2013 10:02 PM PDT

Well put, accordeoniste. I absolutely could live without a cell phone, but I think it is a fantastic tool. I love having instant access to any information, maps, email, texting and of course the phone iteself. Texting is a very convenient way to stay in touch with my family. That said, I do not use it for work, and I put the phone in my pocket when I am in a social situation. I will use it in public if I need a distraction such sitting in a waiting room or whatever, but I am always mindful of my surroundings and try not to impose on others by talking loudly etc, and avoid using the phone while driving. But there are so many people who can't seem to break from their phone in any situation, and I think often this is because they are avoiding interaction with strangers on purpose, sadly a sign of the times.

Collapse -
@accodeoniste,
by btljooz / May 15, 2013 5:37 AM PDT

"Blaming cellphones for peoples' rude behavior" is your connotation, NOT mine. But, cell phones certainly are a vehicle for it. I blame the lack of a proper upbringing for peoples' rude behavior. The HOME is where education should really start. Why wait for the nanny-state to do it for you??? THAT is the root of the lack of education that you speak of - parents being too d4mned lazy to raise their own kids properly and waiting for the nanny-state to do it! After all, it's much easier to make them than to raise them properly once they are here. Plain

Collapse -
people talking
by aeparker / May 14, 2013 10:28 AM PDT

You did see people talking loudly in grocery stores but you knew they were crazy people. Nowadays everyone walks around waving their hands in the air and appearing to talk to themself, and it makes me laugh, like seeing all those boys holding onto their weiner to keep their pants on Happy

But us old farts are easily amused Happy

Collapse -
Talking and hands free
by momofmaxx / May 14, 2013 2:43 PM PDT
In reply to: people talking

I agree to most of the comments and yes, I, too remember not having ANY tech devices. I thought when I stepped into the 21st century in '03 when I purchased my first desk top PC, that would be the end of the tech stuff for me, but alas, it became an obsession. But, by that time I'd already had a phone installed in my car in the early 90's, and had it removed and traded up for a wireless hand held device. I'm sure most of you can remember those! My family went totally wireless, (no land line phone) in the late 90's.
now in 2013, I've had at least 15 different phones and two wireless laptops. My first smartphone was a Blackberry curve. Internet ready and thought I'd become the "bees knees.). From there it was on to my first ever iPod in '05 the first mini iPod). I am now typing this on my second iPad,a 4, recently purchases by trading in my iPad 2. Not sure about the iPhone 6, but I'll be sure to consider getting one when my current contract is up. That is if there is an iPhone 6.
Having said all of ten above, today I turned 64 and I love my gadgets and PC's,but, I have much respect for not talking too much in public places and I usually wait till I'm in my car, parked, to make a return call or read message. Siri will read anything to me on the road, but picking up the phone requires taking my eyes off the road and I'm not comfortable with that. So, old school that I am, I agree with all posts about the rudeness of folks and just plain ugliness of those who choose to walk and talk or walk and type. I can't do that anyway. Tried it once and almost landed in a trash can! Glad it wasn't the mall fountain that I fell in!
So, I guess I cannot be without my gadget friends and really don't want to be. I'm entertained, informed, and just plain nerdy! Pretty weird for a 64 year old Grandma! But hey, we are in the 21st century and we might as well stay up with as much as we can, after all, there's always room for more good technology right? And that's all for now folks!

Collapse -
I agree! I can easily imagine my life without a cell phone
by Scoobyfan / May 14, 2013 1:38 PM PDT

I agree Wpg...

I grew up and managed just fine without a cell phone -- and cable!

It seems that people were a lot more friendlier and mannerly before cell phones. People actually talked to each other while visiting. They very rarely took a call on their landline let alone a cell phone.

People ask me over to do something for them...then waste my time and make me wait for them to finish while they take every call that comes in. Perhaps I will put Miss Manners to practice when she suggests, getting up to leave and saying, "Oh, call me when I won't be an inconvenience." However, nowadays, since common sense is no longer common, the other person might not understand.

I have a few other issues with cell phones -- and all modern conveniences after the 1980's -- all this stuff has to be upgraded, replaced or recharged. Batteries sometimes cost more than the item for which you are buying them.

Modern conveniences? They are not convenient when you get cut off (by the phone itself or another person using them), have to run out a buy new batteries -- or replace the item itself within a couple of years. I remember a time when washers and dryers, phones and TV's, radios, and hot water heaters lasted 30 years! Now I have my fingers crossed that they last for 3 years!

That said, I do like cell phones for their convenience and usuage during an emergency, but they have replaced the human connection! Then again, during an emergency, the cell phone is probably the safest way to go. It isn't safe anymore to flag down another motorist and ask for help -- of course, they would probably be on their cell phone and not even notice you!

One more thing, and I'm sure everyone can agree with this -- a cell phone takes away your "me time." When you went to the store, movies or church, you'd be able to focus on those events and activities without your boss or chatty friend bothering you. They would just call and leave a message on your home phone, and think, "Oh, they'll call me back," or "I'll try later." Now, people get made if you don't answer or have your cell phone available...then there's texting....

Modern conveniences have become high maintenence!

Collapse -
Just one thing....
by btljooz / May 15, 2013 5:53 AM PDT

I can remember a time when the average person didn't even have an answering machine. Those who called and got no answer had to just wait until someone was around to answer the thing.

But you are spot on about the people demanding you to be available at all times whether it is important or not. I feel that we are too connected these days. My goodness, your own day off of work isn't even that any more.

Collapse -
Drones...
by gfoley1 / May 14, 2013 10:06 PM PDT

Folks who cannot imagine a world without cell phones are drones, I hate to say it, but those among us who "need" smart phones have succumbed to the intentional dumbing-down syndrome. They are those who will miss out on seeing their kids grow up as two year olds, because they're too busy looking at their phones instead --their invisible face book friends have become more important. The same folks who are blindly lead by the smart phones are easily fooled victims of a throw-away society... a worthless, and soon to be a VAT taxed, country of fools. First the phones, then the phony smoking ban (which they swallowed up as just a local town event, not knowing it was a conspired national control-grabbing event). Next, Internet tax. Then after "they" get you used to that one will come the Value Added Tax (VAT) -- you know, the one that will be sold as a "needed tax to pay for the communist health care plan. Bottom line, the government's got you where they want you, and the more you lay down the more they will stab at your soul. Wait a minute, you better grab your phone, I see you've gotta a very important text coming in.....

Collapse -
Are cell phones important?
by Cannonc2 / May 14, 2013 10:13 PM PDT

I'm a senior, and spent the first 50 years without a cell phone, and the last 20 with one (I used one at work very early). It is reassuring to know I can reach out in an emergency, but I don't use the telephone part of my iPhone that much. But I welcome the applications and internet access the smart phone brings, and changed from an ordinary cell phone to an iPhone as soon as I first saw iBird Pro. I can now be in the woods and have all of my nature identification handbooks in my pocket, right on my smart phone. And enjoy the byproduct of being prepared for emergencies with my cell phone. And also make hands-free phone calls from my car while my phone is in my purse in the trunk. How can you beat that?

Yes, I'm annoyed by loud talking in public places and on the train. And by drivers talking and texting with only one hand and no brain available for driving the automobile.

But go back to doing without -- no!

Collapse -
I just have a bare-basics cell phone ...
by Larry Launstein Jr / May 14, 2013 10:27 PM PDT

I have a bare-basics cell phone - don't want or need a smart phone. I just want to take calls, voice mail and pretty much it. And I think the biggest problem is the way people go about using them - I do not have the phone on when I drive or attend certain places such as a movie theater. I think people need to do a better job of etiquette with a cell phone. There are times when I need to be connected to family, friends and clients, but not 24/7. That being said, I do remember the days of the old phones well. I also remember the days before personal computers. So that dates me. I don't think it's a good idea at this point to go back to the good old days, but I do think some new rules have to be established for conduct with new technologies.

Collapse -
Me too
by dasoe / May 14, 2013 10:54 PM PDT

Haha, I am with you. I too don't have a cell phone, except when being on a project. Then I am happy to have one. So I absolutey see the pros of cell phones: It is great, it is useful and convenient. It makes so many things efficient. What is strange to me, that so many people don't see - or won't admit - the disadvantages. Not only annoying people shouting in public at high volume to a mikrophone that is two inches from their mouths (which is rather silly if you choose to use your brain). Not only people standing in your way while claiming to be able to multitask (what they just proved to be wrong). Not only the fact that you are completely dependent - and also controlled by other people (I will never be able to handle the sheer rudeness of the question "where are you?" as beginning of a conversation). Not only the unpoliteness of people cutting a conversation in favor of answering a phone. (BTW: I counted how many (private, not work) dinners with other people passed uninterrupted by the use of a cellphone. Since I started it has been 2 - out of 60!).
But besides from all this the overall idea is strange to me: We live in a world that is convenient and useful and efficient to the highest. But being efficient may not always be the thing to strive for? I personally don't want everything in my private life to be efficient all the time. As an example: remember the days without satnav? I went for a drive with friends and we sometimes took the wrong path. It was never a problem - we were on a ride and we had great music on. We stopped and talked to people even! We always got there, and relaxed. And driving was part of the fun. The same friends nowadays are stressed if they take the first wrong turn (which happens with a satnav also of course). Probably before even. All in all driving turned into stressful business that has to be over as quickly as possible - mostly thanks to satnav and this strange idea of efficiency.
The same with cellphones. We used to talk about topics, finding out later and telling us about it; rather than being interrupted by waiting for the internet connection to answer the question. We used to hang pieces of paper (with handmade drawings even!) at the door of a closed bar, sometimes laying a sort of breadcrumb through the city; which in the end is much more fun than calling the friends 5 times before meeting them. (We also took an appointment much more serious, 'cause we just could not change it in the last minute).
I strolled the ciy, taking a lot of beautiful photos of backyards, when searching for an address (and again I talked to real people). I once found a friend by asking to do an urgent phonecall and ended up in her kitchen drinking cheap wine the whole night. Stuff like that. Life can be really beautiful while not being efficient.
So: I can imagine the world without a cellphone - in fact I live without one 95% of my time. Happily!

Collapse -
I don't buy it.
by aighaid / May 16, 2013 7:51 AM PDT

Really? People in stores didn't talk loudly behind you until cell phones were in use? Perhaps it's the lack of the other end of the conversation that's really bothering you. Most of my life was spent without cell phones and I think they're one of the best things ever invented. I no longer have to worry when my grandchildren are late getting home--I can call and verify their safety. I can locate my traveling salesman husband to notify him of his business calls without worrying that he'll lose the customer before he gets the order. My phone usage is miniscule--but having the ability to call AAA in the middle of a dark night in a strange neighborhood far outweighs the so-called rudeness of strangers. Cell phone etiquette just hasn't caught up with the technology--use a little quiet peer pressure if you think it's warranted.

Collapse -
You've hit the nail on the Head
by Maljudges / May 16, 2013 9:38 PM PDT

I'm like you old enough to know what it was like before cell phones. My main gripe is that common courtesy has gone by the wayside, people standing next to you in elevators on the street public transport, you name it all these people think that their world is all that matters and to hell with the rest of us, who want to sit or stand quietly reading our papers or god forbid trying to have a conversation with someone, while they yammer away on their phone. Oh for the days of pagers and you had to ring in to the office for your next assignment.

Collapse -
Answer
Easy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2013 1:20 AM PDT

When I go out, I rarely have the phone on. There are folk that can't go places where there is no service.
Bob

Collapse -
not that easy
by eugenerudenko / April 28, 2013 11:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Easy.

And I still prefer to have my device on me. Even if I don't expect any calls.

Collapse -
Nod.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2013 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: not that easy

I have this hiking trail nearby. Since there is no service there, we leave the phones behind.
Bob

Collapse -
Emergencies
by lincolnhyde / May 15, 2013 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Nod.

As a Scout leader, I really think you should have your phone with you on the hike (yes, it can be turned off) - if there is some emergency (lost, turned ankle, etc.) you can turn it on then try to climb a hill or otherwise find service for assistance.

Collapse -
Disagree
by laptop48 / May 29, 2013 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Nod.

A family was lost in the snow a few years ago while driving on a closed fire road in Oregon. The wife tried to make a call for help on her cell, but there was no service in the remote area. HOWEVER, the wife and kids were eventually found (the husband didn't survive because he left the car to walk for help) because her phone registered on a tower that only had a 36 mile radius of where the family was stranded, and rescue workers had been focusing their search in other areas. So, even though you might not be able to phone out, your call will register on the nearest cell tower.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.