Tablets forum

General discussion

Can you imagine that tablet will be the future PC?

by DaminLiu / May 10, 2013 5:17 PM PDT

Tablet computers like iPad are popular today because they are more portable and fashionable, and maybe one day their functions can be powerful enough to replace PC, I mean the PC with keyboard.

And I mean that you will not see mouse or keyboard any more, only tablets' touch keyboard. Do you agree with the future like that?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you imagine that tablet will be the future PC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you imagine that tablet will be the future PC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For users, yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2013 3:10 AM PDT

If you write apps for things then no. It's very well discussed that you have consumption devices and you have your do it all devices.

It's like a kitchen. If you don't want to cook, you can just go get food ready to use. A tablet as it stands today is a consumer item. I've yet to see an author of apps use such a thing except to test that their app works.
Bob

Collapse -
Why only for users?
by DaminLiu / May 11, 2013 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: For users, yes.

I believe that nothing is impossible. Many years ago people couldn't imagine PC should be popular like today neither, that means even you can't write apps with tablets today, you may do that years later.
I think there must be a way to make it possible in the future. Now mouse can be omitted, we just need to make typing with touch screen as fast as typing with keyboard. There must be a way.

Collapse -
Future?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2013 2:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Why only for users?

Sorry but I'm going with what we have today. Maybe this is good advice to derail a budding programmer. Get them a tablet and tell them to wait till it's better.

This is great for those that want to write apps. Less competition!
Bob

Collapse -
For the future
by DaminLiu / May 11, 2013 6:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Future?

If you are a programmer, congratulations you have a chance to make it possible NOW.
I've got a way of redesigning the typing UI to make it possible and users don't have to practice extra for that. Programmers may have a try to make it into a real program. I'm sure it's not from science fiction.

Collapse -
How to monetize this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2013 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: For the future

I'm encountering some that feel like they should be able to dictate what we do. Either as the programmer or restrict what we do on computers.

Most of them didn't experience the early days or know the history that brought forth the PERSONAL COMPUTER. Tablets are not personal computers. And those that are bringing them out have some rather nefarious plans.

Do you see it?
Bob

Collapse -
Not dictation
by DaminLiu / May 12, 2013 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: How to monetize this?

I didn't mean inputting by dictation. It's a new typing UI which allows you typing by touching the touch screen as fast as typing with keyboard.

I've written a book telling this in mathematics language. You can read it if you are interested, and you'll see that the disappearance of physical keyboard is a trend.

Collapse -
My tablets have keyboards.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2013 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Not dictation

But as it stands, you can't write a native app on said tablets. And in the case of Windows RT, it's more like a prison than a walled garden.

I guess it would take a while for me to convey that I lived through the bad old days before the personal computer. Some want to put the shackles back on.
Bob

Collapse -
The disappearance of keyboard is a trend
by DaminLiu / May 13, 2013 4:30 PM PDT

I know people can't do without keyboard today, but you don't know what will happen in the future. I just predict it in my book with mathematics knowledge, and I believe that my reasons are strong enough to support my view. The book's name: MY COMPUTER & I ,now available at amazon.ca

Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2013 12:26 AM PDT

The personal computer was about choice. The Windows 8 RT tablet was not about choice.

The first Kindle was not about choice.

Are you thinking that less choice is the goal of these new things?
Bob

Collapse -
new ideas
by DaminLiu / May 14, 2013 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Odd.

No, I think the best choice is the goal. Are you a programmer or other IT professionals? You can see the new way of typing with touch screen in the book.

Collapse -
Have you used a touch screen for hours?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2013 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: new ideas

We tried that over a decade ago and the users complained of the usual such as finger tips that went numb, joint pain and the newer issue of gorilla arm.

For casual use I see it, but as a programmer, you lost me except for the fact we write apps for these things.
Bob

Collapse -
You really are missing the point
by 4Denise / May 24, 2013 5:10 PM PDT

People who type for a living are definitely not going to settle for a touch screen. It is just that simple. Nothing you do will ever make it as useful.

Collapse -
One more point
by 4Denise / May 25, 2013 5:52 AM PDT

There is absolutely no way that a tablet could ever meet my needs as a writer, no matter what you do to it. It simply does not have enough screen space. I don't have multiple monitors because it's cool. I have them because I genuinely need them. I must have all that screen space in order to keep multiple windows open and visible so that I can access my research as I write. I also must be able to see what I write. Nothing that anyone can do to a tablet will ever be able to overcome this basic obstacle because a tablet is specifically designed to be portable.

I may buy a tablet at some point. I have no doubt that I will enjoy it. However, I will always turn to my desktop PC for work. Those of you who claim that this is the wave of the future and that PCs will not survive do not have any idea what a PC is for. Enjoy your toys, but don't pretend that they can ever take the place of serious equipment for serious work.

Of course, this entire argument is ridiculous. Why in the world are you so eager to make other people's choices for them? This is sick control freak behavior at its worst. Let us get our work done in the most efficient way possible. We aren't harming your precious tablets in any way.

Collapse -
This is an inevitable trend
by busypokrt / May 16, 2013 6:41 PM PDT

Tablet PC is more convenient and space-saving, but for gaming enthusiasts or programmers may not not like it, they are not used to slide his hands on the screen.but these people can not be replaced tablet will be the future PC trent

Collapse -
As an author I love the tablet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2013 2:43 AM PDT

It's good news for authors as they have a new market. Why would you think a programmer would not love a new market?
Bob

Collapse -
Update. Do students who are issued tablets miss the benefit
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2013 3:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
No I Can't
by pauly1651 / May 24, 2013 10:51 AM PDT

No I can't.
PC's have a definite use and function, and tablets have a definite use and function.

Collapse -
Technology advances
by mjd420nova / May 24, 2013 11:10 AM PDT

The "tablet" has become the surfers bible. No keyboard or mouse, just point or wave your finger(s). The newer WIN8 is exactly slanted to that technology and the touch screen improvements. Far too big to be useful as a phone, but WHY NOT?? A couple cameras and you get video phone, face to face communication. Can't use a handheld while driving so there'll be more advancements in that area, maybe this is an interum step.

Collapse -
Tablets of Future
by Ron Geiken / May 24, 2013 12:04 PM PDT

Personally, I want a external keyboard and mouse since it is so much easier to use. I have a Nexus 10 with a BT Keyboard and Mouse and it so much easier to use when you have a fixed set up. Of course when you are using it in a portable mode, then you likely will use your hands and a touch screen keyboard. For me that is slower than having BT devices. Without a BT Keyboard, it is difficult to type 10 to 15 lines of text. With a BT Keyboard it is fairly easy. I have wireless keyboards and mice with all of my computers, and they are the most convenient to use. I can't stand a Mouse Pad and don't want a fixed keyboard attached to the computer. That factor is why Logitech has been so successful in that market.

Collapse -
Don't you mean cellphone?
by capoderra / May 24, 2013 12:30 PM PDT

Ubuntu is working on an OS that's powerful yet simple enough for you to connect a screen and keyboard to your phone. We'll carry our PCs with us in our pockets. We're just waiting for 4g connectivity to arrive.

Collapse -
No, I don't think that will happen
by 4Denise / May 24, 2013 2:17 PM PDT

I believe that tablets are here to stay, and I believe that they will become more useful as time goes by, but I can't see them replacing full-fledged PCs. For one thing, a touch screen can never compete with a keyboard for some things. I am a writer. If I had to rely on a touch screen to type, I would not be writing for very long.

As enthusiastic as some people are about touch screens, they are not practical for many uses. Also, some people simply do not like them for many excellent reasons. They will never be the only interface available. Productivity is too important. Computers are designed to do work, not be fashionable.

Collapse -
What about enterprise computing?
by abanerji / May 24, 2013 6:13 PM PDT

As tablet technology stands now, it has no place in the back office. People doing heavy duty number crunching / modelling in spreadsheets need a PC or laptop, not a touch device.

Suppose, I have a huge ERP inventory file open with hundreds of SKUs. I transfer the data to excel. I need only a traditional keyboard / mouse combo to convert the raw data into management information.

A touch will put me into bullock cart speed, when I am working on complex multi-layered excel formulae / functions. Efficiency and productivity will go for a toss with a tablet in the enterprise.

A tablet is fine for browsing, etc. on the move. Never in the enterprise, with power computing.

Collapse -
No and Maybe...
by Zouch / May 24, 2013 7:51 PM PDT

For content creation, absolutely not! Editing a picture or diagram pixel accurate is routine with a mouse - try doing that with your stubby fingers! And text input has no feedback from an onscreen keypad. And don't even think about achieving the speeds of even a mediocre touch typist!

For content consumption, maybe. Why only maybe? The current trend seems to be towards smaller tablets, 7 inches or so (Just wait till you are older, folks and they have destroyed your eyesight!) and if you are going that small for content consumption, why wouldn't you use one of the bigger phones like the Samsung Galaxy Note and carry just the one device?

Collapse -
No way
by Nerosas / May 24, 2013 11:12 PM PDT

For people who want to touch-type and do serious work, they will need a physical keyboard. On-screen keyboards are really slow in that you can't touch-type on them. I don't like them. If that will be the future for tablets I will not buy one.

Moving away from that, another issue is Microsoft Office. Tablets like the iPad can't run Microsoft Office. There is Polaris Office for Android but I fear it's like Openoffice in that it claims to work with Microsoft Office but it doesn't do that properly.

If tablets are to be our future, they need to have a physical keyboard and they need to be able to run Microsoft Office. If they are to be used for programming as well, then they need to be able to run the suitable programs for that. The only tablets I know that can do all that are the Windows 8 ones, and they're far from popular.

Collapse -
But!
by Devoted2as / May 25, 2013 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: No way

The younger generations do not want to "touch type", and they are the future. The tactile keyboard will go the way of the old crank phones and other antiques soon enough.

Collapse -
A couple decades from now
by Devoted2as / May 25, 2013 4:43 AM PDT

In 20 years, you'll mention a tactile keyboard, and people will say, "What museum is that in?" It doesn't matter what particular groups of people like so much as what the general public will buy. Younger kids like touching the screen and speaking commands. Also, sticky fingers and coffee or other spills on a flat surface are often easier to survive with than a tactile keyboard with dozens of moving parts that can go haywire. Just sayin' . . . . . .

Collapse -
Tablet
by navdeeep / May 25, 2013 5:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Maybe covers a lot of ground
by wpgwpg / May 25, 2013 5:18 AM PDT

Just remember that he who lives by the crystal ball is destined to eat ground glass! Maybe one day computers will read our minds. Maybe one day we'll all have all serving robots. Maybe we'll all have bionics and be able to run 50 mph. Maybe one day cars will drive themselves. Maybe we'll all vacation on the moon or Mars or the next galaxy. "Maybe" is akin to "if". If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his butt every time he jumps.
`
In the mean time I'll keep my desktop and laptop with keyboards and mice, thank you very much.

Collapse -
Tablet is indeed our Future PC
by devantetabletpc / May 27, 2013 5:10 PM PDT

It is very true,that Tablet will be our future PC because it has all the functions of a computer, in fact more features, it is very easy to carry anywhere you go and many more. Tablet PC's are the choice of the youth.

Collapse -
Only until they grow up
by 4Denise / May 28, 2013 1:08 AM PDT

The youth aren't going to like tablets nearly as much from the moment they are expected to use them for any kind of work. Furthermore, the rest of us aren't dead yet. As long as people keep buying PCs, they will keep selling them. And no, they do not have all the functions of a computer. In fact, they are slow and have very few useful features at this point.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.