Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Can you identify the Lemony Snicket Mystery car?

by EdH / December 24, 2004 12:49 AM PST

I've thrown together this web page http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/snicket.html
from shots I've grabbed from various Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events sites. I am trying to find out what kind of car Mr. Poe drives. It is featured prominently in the film but I could not see a logo or name on it anywhere.

It's possible that it was fabricated for the movie but the other car, Count Olaf's is clearly a late 50s Chrysler Imperial so I'm thinking this is a real make as well. Can anyone identify it and possibly give me a link to a shot of another example? I've been searching endlessly.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you identify the Lemony Snicket Mystery car?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you identify the Lemony Snicket Mystery car?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ur right part volvo
by Mark5019 / December 24, 2004 12:56 AM PST

im thinking its a put together job

Collapse -
Could be.
by EdH / December 24, 2004 2:08 AM PST
In reply to: ur right part volvo

It seems odd me that they would go through the trouble to create a car when there are lots of bizarre looking real cars they could have used. Take a look at some of the strange vehicles I have found in my sesrches; and these are only a few of the ones I've come across.

Collapse -
What make of car....Heinz57 my guess
by John Robie / December 24, 2004 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: ur right part volvo

It is not a car made by any mass production factory in the US, like Nash, Kaiser, Cord, Hudson, GM, Ford/Lincoln, Chrysler. Mark is more on the money......someone put the car together from parts...could be a special like many are customized in California, Barris(s), I believe was one of the more famous ones in the 50's/60's. Remember some of the autos put together in Canada, caused me to take a second look, as they were an American auto with a customized and different look. Australia has some that I see in movies, probably bought from Canada, or they customized themselves.

Not a Nash...my brother had one of those problem cars, and I paid attention to their different models/production. The only thing they had going for them in their day was the lay down of seats for sleeping/camping....good on dates.

As also hinted, it is probably a foreign made and put together.

PS..I still believe the best looking and most advance auto of its time was the Tucker. My Dad took me to see one on display in 1948, and I remember one passing us going to Houston on Hwy 90, with a flashing sign on the rear that stated, "You have just been passed by a Tucker".

The Tucker had a rear-mounted air-cooled engine, independent four-wheel suspension, and several automobile safety features, including a pop-out windshield, a steerable front light to see better while turning, and whoever heard of disc brakes, seatbelts, and a padded dashboard. It was way ahead of its time, as many of these innovations have been incorporated into modern cars.

Collapse -
Hey John....
by Rolway / December 24, 2004 4:18 AM PST

That Nash your brother had. Was that a twin ignition job? A garage owners dream for tune-ups. Happy

Collapse -
That Nash...
by John Robie / December 24, 2004 4:37 AM PST
In reply to: Hey John....

Don't recall George, but it was always in the shop for something or other. My bother knew about ignitions, he had built a Drag Hot Rod out of my old '37 Ford coupe using magneto ignition. Never knew why he got a Nash, maybe because of the 'bed'. This was before the VW vans or other vans were in vogue. Wink

I did put dual ignition breaker points in my new '55 V8 Chev...couldn't tell any difference.

Collapse -
That old Nash...
by Rolway / December 24, 2004 5:23 AM PST
In reply to: That Nash...

As near as I can remember, one of those Nash models had 2 plugs for every cylinder and a maze of wires. When it ran, it ran good which was not too often. I'll have to check with the neighbor up the street. I think he still has an old Nash rusting away down in the back field somewhere.

"Dual breaker points and Mallory ignition" Yep, I did that to one of the old Fords I had. Worked OK once you got the proper set-up. Remember those little Crosleys? Around here they used to put Offy engines in them and race them in the old Boston Garden. Good old days.:)

You and the family have a Merry Christmas. My son just showed up with the kids. Probably will clean out the frig. now. Oh, well I'm gonna help them:)

Collapse -
Did you look at the Tatra link in my second post?
by EdH / December 24, 2004 5:53 AM PST

A lot of the look and features of that car made it into the Tucker I think. Or maybe the other way around?

Collapse -
Re: Tucker
by John Robie / December 24, 2004 6:48 AM PST

Yes Ed, I saw that and also those that George, Cindi, and Clay referenced.

The Tucker, well guess the reason my Dad and myself were so enthused about it was because it favored the looks more of the 1941 Studebaker 4 door President/Commander than any other auto. My dad bought that '41 Studebaker new from the dealer just before Pearl Harbor for $1150. He was offered up to $4000 for it during the war. In 1952 he gave it to me. Had a stick on the column with overdrive. Could shift gears without pushing in the clutch under 35MPH. I made many 2000 mile round trips in it.

The '41 Studebaker, scroll down to the 1941 Commander Land Cruiser:

The '48 Tucker:

One of the few movies that the wife and I went downtown for was the 1988 movie "Tucker: The Man and his Dream", staring Jeff Bridges. I also taped it when it came on TV. They had one of the few original Tucker's on display in the lobby. Security didn't like it, but I just had to crawl down and look underneath. The most beautiful car in the world to my estimation.

Collapse -
41 Studebaker
by EdH / December 24, 2004 11:57 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Tucker

I believe was a design by Raymond Lowey or his studio. Lowey, you may know was the preeminent industrial designer of the 20th Century, creating a distinctive look for cars, furniture,radios, locomotives and just about everything else. His influence on the Tucker (which he did not design)is very clear and strong.

Of course the people who created the Tatra had to have been very familiar with Lowey's work.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Reminds me a bit of a Karmann Ghia, somehow.
by Cindi Haynes / December 24, 2004 2:51 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Another great design. Wish I had one.
by EdH / December 24, 2004 12:08 PM PST
Collapse -
by Cindi Haynes / December 24, 2004 2:59 AM PST

It's a Tatra.

Another challenge for King and his team were the unusual vehicles in the story: a pair of ?oddball cars,? as King puts it, a bizarre boat and a train. ?They found these very strange cars for the shoot,? he says. ?One was a Tatra ? a Czechoslovakian car from the early '60s ? and the other was a heavily modified stretch Chrysler from the '60s. The cars used in the film were operable and they both sounded unique, so we ended up recording them and using them pretty much as-is for the film. When they show the movie in Czechoslovakia, everyone will probably say, ?Oh, it's a Tatra, what's so unusual about that??

Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) wtg good find
by Mark5019 / December 24, 2004 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: FOUND IT.
Collapse -
Right you are Cindi...A Tatra
by Rolway / December 24, 2004 4:08 AM PST
Collapse -
by EdH / December 24, 2004 5:57 AM PST

The Tatra was one of my supects but I still haven't found one that looks anything like that car. Maybe I'd better scrutinize that site a bit more. Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: Hmm
by C1ay / December 24, 2004 6:04 AM PST
In reply to: Hmm
I still haven't found one that looks anything like that car.

Did you look here?

Collapse -
That's it! Thanks, Cindi.
by EdH / December 24, 2004 6:15 AM PST

Don't know how I missed it but a Google image search found a bunch.

Now I can sleep easy.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) :-) Don't let the bedbugs bite!
by Cindi Haynes / December 24, 2004 7:55 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) A car named after a mountain range. Who'd a thunk it.
by Ziks511 / December 24, 2004 6:47 AM PST
Collapse -
Somehow it doesn't surprise me...
by EdH / December 24, 2004 11:18 AM PST

That such an attractive vehicle was created by Czechs. I have admired them since reading War with the Newtsby Karel Capek when I was young. In a way naming the car after a mountain range seems fitting. It evokes beauty and also freedom, which the Czechs have so often been denied.

I strongly recommmend War with the Newts and still reread it from time to time. Maybe I'll dig it out again this holiday week.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.