PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Can you connect external speaker on the front headphone jack

by yagami_kira / April 1, 2010 11:23 AM PDT

I have an Asus P5KPL AM EPU motherboard on an Antec VSK-2000 casing (with HD Audio front panel)

According to my VIA HD AUdio deck software driver, the rear audio connectors are used for external PC speakers, and the front audio connectors are meant for headphones. Does it mean that I can't connect an external PC speaker to the front headphone jack? Will it fry the motherboard? Or the front and rear audio jacks are interchangeable, and just ignore the VIA audio driver?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you connect external speaker on the front headphone jack
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you connect external speaker on the front headphone jack
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It won't fry the MB but I wouldn't use headphone outputs

for speaker inputs. They may tend to over drive the pre-amp stages. The impedance mismatch will distort sound too.

Collapse -
It won't fry the MD
by goldilocks20 / April 13, 2010 11:15 PM PDT

I did it before. It will work fine if your speakers is a standard low-voltage left and right audio speakers.

Collapse -
Speakers in headphone jack a big no-no!
by mikepro1 / April 19, 2010 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: It won't fry the MD

Having worked in the audio industry for decades, I can tell you from experience and scientific knowledge, never connect speakers to headphone jacks.

The requirements for each are totally different. Even if you do get sound out of the speaker(s), you are overloading the Sound Card's audio output amp/circuit, and it will eventually fail. Use a large speaker and it will fry the Card immediately. (You'll smell the smoke too!)

Remember this simple rule-of-thumb: Jacks are labeled for their specific purpose. If the audio jack could be used for both headphones AND speakers, it would be labeled as such.

Collapse -
How about small portable mp3 players
by yagami_kira / April 19, 2010 10:07 AM PDT

Thank you for your input. Now, that you've said that, I wonder if it will also destroy portable mp3 players such as creative muvo if you connect an external speaker on it instead of headphone?

Collapse -
Most small MP3 players are designed for earbuds
by Steven Haninger / April 19, 2010 8:45 PM PDT

and not headphones. Earbuds need a few milli watts and headphones, depending on model, might handle a few watt's. As such, most small portable MP3 players can connect to powered speakers such as you'd connect to a PC. You'd need to check the instruction manual for each device to find out what output devices are compatible.

Collapse -
speakers in headphone jack
by ElMinero / October 22, 2012 2:43 PM PDT

I had a 2.1 system with a subwoofer connect to the headphone jack of my laptop and work fine and never had a problem and I had it for a couple of months. I do not agree with you

Collapse -
Connecting speakers to headphone jack
by andyr1385 / April 20, 2010 3:16 AM PDT

I have been using the headphone jack to connect to the input of a standalone hi-fi amplifier for years with no problem. I play music from Pandora through the system. Do not connect the headphone jack directly to the speakers. Connect only to an external amplifier. Sound quality is acceptable but not super good.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.