Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

TVs & Home Theaters

Resolved Question

Can you burn 1080p on a DVD disc?

by bulbulahamadnz / May 12, 2012 3:53 PM PDT

Is there any way to burn 1080p to a DVD disc?

I know that, DVD players can only play with resolution upto 720 x 576.
But I do have a Blu-ray player, so thats not an issue here.

bulbulahamadnz has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you burn 1080p on a DVD disc?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you burn 1080p on a DVD disc?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Can I use a PC?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2012 12:00 AM PDT

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by bulbulahamadnz

Collapse -
Burn 1080p on a DVD disc
by JayGreenstein / May 15, 2012 5:53 AM PDT

There are a few options available for burning your 1080p movie to a DVDs. Programs such as Roxio and Nero are the most up-to-date DVD burning programs that have HD-burning capability.

Collapse -
Solved
by bulbulahamadnz / May 15, 2012 10:35 AM PDT

thanks everyone for your suggestion. Much appreciated. I think using Nero and using AVCHD file format helped.

Collapse -
Answer
Clarification
by Dan Filice / May 12, 2012 11:35 PM PDT

1080p is High Def (BluRay) and DVD is Standard Def. A normal DVD cannot record 1080p. It will default to Standard Def when it burns any video input. To burn 1080p you would need a BluRay burner. Even if you put a normal DVD into a BR burner, the normal DVD won't record 1080p.

Collapse -
Answer
I don't know any free program for that, but...
by ahtoi / May 13, 2012 2:27 AM PDT

I seem to recalled about HD on dvd media disc. Whether it was 1080 or 720 I don't remember. Go to the Nero website to check it out or maybe Corel as well.

Collapse -
Link
by Pepe7 / May 13, 2012 3:46 PM PDT
Collapse -
Yeah...or other format, like divx/mkv;
by ahtoi / May 14, 2012 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Link

The problem there..is a player which support these formats, and there aren't that many. Another problem with these is converting takes a long time...especially one doesn't have a fast computer.

Collapse -
Indeed
by Pepe7 / May 14, 2012 2:02 AM PDT

They are meant to be used in PC drives, mostly.

Collapse -
My first DVD rendering took about a day.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2012 2:39 AM PDT

This was back in the Pentium 2 days. Later I was able to render in the field with my Acer ter-600 in 6 hours. Back then it was considered magic to get a DVD in a day. I could do this overnight.

Of course I used punch cards to program so my patience is not tested by the Keuriq coffee makers as it is with some.

Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Riddle me this Batman...
by Dan Filice / May 15, 2012 11:11 AM PDT

Why not save the disc burning process and put the HD file onto a thumbdrive? If the specific HD file can be played by a given BR player, it should play the same file from a thumb drive and you won't be limited to the space available on a standard DVD. Seems like this should work.

Collapse -
If you ever used Samsung BD players.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2012 11:21 AM PDT

You would think some Joker was on the programming staff. I'm not Kid'man you not that some Catwoman will scratch your eyes out over how DLNA, USB and what's on DVD will play just like the odds are with Two Face's lucky coin.
Bob

Collapse -
This is why I simply choose Oppo
by Pepe7 / May 15, 2012 3:29 PM PDT

Better support, and a much better product out of the box that plays all sorts of files.

Collapse -
I wish I had named some other names.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2012 2:41 AM PDT

But let's face it. CONSUMERS do not want to fiddle. They just want. That is, toss a file/video/mp3/DVD/CD/stick or stone at the player and for it to just work.

If you have seen the no-name players they started off being real finicky (but cheap) and got better. Not great, just better. Today I hate to write that Sam is still too finicky but I think I know why.

It's the patents and money. We see Microsoft dropping DVD playback on Windows 8 because of the 2 buck fee to MPEGLA per OS copy. Some dispute that but that's the number I see over and over.

Those decoder fees could add up fast.
Bob

Collapse -
True
by Pepe7 / May 16, 2012 5:04 AM PDT

You are 110% right. Most people don't want to fiddle, especially on a dedicated disc player, let alone a personal computer.

OTOH, I think the lack of DVD playback w/ W8 is somewhat of a non-issue given that most people buy PCs with bundled software installed that includes the DVD playback functionality. Throw in the fact that digital downloads have started to take a hefty chunk of the viewing space and it's probably nothing to be too upset about. I still use VLC, etc. anyway.

FWIW, Article @ Geek.com covering this-
http://www.geek.com/articles/news/dvd-playback-removed-from-windows-8-not-exactly-2012054/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.