Samsung forum

General discussion

Can't we play music via an ipod / iTouch on Samsung TV's

by HiTechKoke / December 31, 2009 11:26 AM PST

So it seems there are lots of posts and not any solutions for just hooking up your iPod to play music on Samsung TV's (short of an earphone splitter to RCA jacks). So I have the Samsung LN52B750 and have the composite cable but it is only active when there are video's played and not just for plain music. The USB is a bust as well as Wiselink can access photos but not Music. Why is all this so difficult? You would think that the TV manufacturers might consider a little integration with the biggest selling music product on the planet!

So am I relegated to going out to "The Shack" and getting a earphone mini to rca plugs out and plugging that into the A/V side? I wanted to just use the composite for when I am in the mood for audio / video / podcasts etc and not have to manage multiple cables.

Samsung - Tell me there is a better answer here to fooling the composite to do something with the audio when there is no video or is this a nocando situation?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't we play music via an ipod / iTouch on Samsung TV's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't we play music via an ipod / iTouch on Samsung TV's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The problem is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2009 11:35 AM PST

How to avoid the long discussion why this is so and head to a solution. Discussing why you can't play a tune you put on the pod is one thing. But if you pop mp3 files on the disk mode area I found many USB players can play from the pod.

More about at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=ipod+disk+mode&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10

So put it into disk mode, put a few mp3 files there and try it.

Again, I purposely didn't start a discussion about the why this is.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: The problem is
by HiTechKoke / December 31, 2009 11:58 AM PST
In reply to: The problem is

Hey.. thanks for the almost instant response. I don't think this is going to work for me as I should have mentioned my device is an iPhone although we have other iPods / iTouch's in the fold. My iphone is always the most current device. Guessing this idea would not work on a iTouch either though.

Collapse -
Apple put in more "hurdles"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2009 12:41 PM PST
In reply to: Re: The problem is

Remember Apple has implemented more security in the digital link. Without going into deep detail this is why you use an analog connection if you want to play via the player on the pod, phone or touch. I'm sure you can find too many articles but unless Apple and the music holder agrees to opening up the link, we are stuck with the analog link. This is not a Samsung only issue. There may be some dozen parties that would have to say yes.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.