Computer Newbies forum

Question

Can't Use My DVD Burner after ISO uninstallation

by macheholder / January 8, 2012 2:22 PM PST

I once installed Magic ISO then I uninstalled it and now my DVD burner is now a DVD ROM the bad part is it's IDE

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Use My DVD Burner after ISO uninstallation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Use My DVD Burner after ISO uninstallation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What operating system are you using?
by Steven Haninger / January 8, 2012 7:29 PM PST

If not Windows 7, you will need 3rd party burning software. CDBurnerXP might be a good choice. It's not for XP alone but works well with Win7.

Collapse -
by macheholder / January 9, 2012 12:53 AM PST

I
once installed Magic ISO then I uninstalled it and now my DVD burner is
now a DVD ROM the bad part is it's IDE OS is XP Home Dell Optiplex
GX270
SP3
nero 8 installed

Collapse -
Sounds proper. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2012 1:05 AM PST

Because XP does not know what a DVDRW is. DVDRW was before XP's days so it has the code for CDRW and DVDROM but that's it.

If you install some other recorder software it should enable you to record DVD media again but as to XP showing the drive as DVDRW is iffy since that's an OS thing and not a problem for the recorder software.
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification Request
by macheholder / January 8, 2012 8:57 PM PST

I once installed Magic ISO then I uninstalled it and now my DVD burner is now a DVD ROM the bad part is it's IDE OS is XP Home
Dell Optiplex GX270
SP3

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: can't burn
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 8, 2012 7:44 PM PST

it could well be that reinstalling Magic ISO works like magic. I won't harm, I suppose, to try it.

Kees

Collapse -
by macheholder / January 9, 2012 12:51 AM PST
In reply to: Re: can't burn

will do, stay tuned for more Confused
I once installed Magic ISO then I uninstalled it and now my DVD burner is now a DVD ROM the bad part is it's IDE OS is XP Home Dell Optiplex GX270
SP3
nero 8 installed

Collapse -
Answer
Re-install
by Willy / January 8, 2012 11:08 PM PST

There are other freebie/shareware DVD burner out there. You can try them and if the results won't allow you to burn, then you may have other problems. Also, if you had this drive for some time, it may have been done in by wear&tear, they do age.

Collapse -
Answer
by macheholder / January 9, 2012 6:04 PM PST
SillyCool first think I would like to thank all for trying much love & respect to you guys,I didn't want to reinstall Magic ISO cause I wouldn't have all the functions in NERO 8 ,someone had posted a link that basically said to update the firmware,I had to download WININQUIRY to show the model & serial numbers (as to not download and install the wrong firmware) Driver Genius to install the drivers, all free <span id="INSERTION_MARKER">http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/LG-GH22NP20-Internal-Super-Multi-DVD-Writer-Firmware-102-Download-75424.htmlfor the LG GH22NP20 Internal Super Multi DVD Writer Firmware 1.02:
now everything is working, it displays DVDROM but nero drivecheck displays all of the drives capabilities, burn formats as R. Proffitt posted "Because XP does not know what a DVDRW is. DVDRW was before XP's days so it has the code for CDRW and DVDROM but that's it.If you install some other recorder software it should enable you to record DVD media again but as to XP showing the drive as DVDRW is iffy since that's an OS thing and not a problem for the recorder software " thanks and hope this works for anyone that has the same or similar problem
<span>
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.