Computer Newbies

General discussion

Can't use Disk Defragmenter because of Checkdisc (Chkdsk/f)

by mrivory / June 25, 2006 8:07 AM PDT

When I try to run disk defragmenter a window comes up and says, 'Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume (C). Please run Chkdsk/f.
I'm running XP Service Pack 2
When I run Chkdsk/f from the run window the pop up window says,
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? Y/N
I type in Y and hit enter but the next time I boot up the computer it says exactly the same thing - no changes.
What can I do?

Mrivory

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't use Disk Defragmenter because of Checkdisc (Chkdsk/f)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't use Disk Defragmenter because of Checkdisc (Chkdsk/f)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
go to
by PKsteven / June 25, 2006 4:32 PM PDT

start \all programs \accessories\ system tools\ scheduled tasks and see if run check disk is in there.

Paul

Collapse -
Can't use Disk Defragmenter because of Check DisK
by mrivory / June 25, 2006 11:07 PM PDT
In reply to: go to

I went to scheduled tasks as requested and found no Check Disk there. I double clicked Add Scheduled Task and in the list there was also no Check Disk listed.

Mrivory

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What happens if you reply N (in stead of Y)?
by Kees Bakker / June 25, 2006 7:48 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Haven't tried saying N to the question - I'll try it
by mrivory / June 25, 2006 11:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
Hit N instead of Y
by PKsteven / June 26, 2006 3:51 AM PDT

Nice catch there Kees, I guess the old saying right under your nose applies to me in this case, lol.

And just for the record, you can't run chkdsk while the OS is up, this is why you get the message it's in use.

Paul

Collapse -
Chkdsk /f cannot defrag
by gigperformer / July 19, 2009 7:22 AM PDT

I've done it! I am running XP and haven't been able to defrag for 6 months. Here's how: click Start button, then Run, now type chkdsk /f
Note: there is a space between the chkdsk and/f. A black box appears and says "Would you like the volumn to be checked next time you start the computer" type Y click enter. Now reboot. A light blue check list screen appears and will work through 3 options, when it finds the problem it will slow down. Do not touch anything it will automatically continue to boot to Windows. You can now defrag

Collapse -
Great job groking this out and explaining it
by reachgrant / September 21, 2011 11:20 AM PDT

I followed your directions to the letter, and now I'm back in business. Thank you so much.

Collapse -
N or Y
by neonblade / September 21, 2009 4:48 PM PDT

Haha, sometimes the simplest solutions are the best

Collapse -
Minor registry setting problem...
Collapse -
Question?
by PKsteven / June 27, 2006 6:15 AM PDT

This article doesn't apply to XP, is that going to make a difference?

Paul

Collapse -
The article does apply to XP...
by Edward ODaniel / July 1, 2006 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Question?

as well as NT 4.0 and Win 2K all of which are based on the NT kernel.

Look in your HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\Session Manager for the pertinent values.

Collapse -
PS -- this link...
by Edward ODaniel / July 1, 2006 4:10 AM PDT
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/c28621675.mspx

might make you happier as it does specifically mention XP (use your browser's Edit | Find [on this page] function to search that link for chkntfs and autochk) but it takes a lot of reading to get to the salient points that my previous link made clear.

The above link is a good one to have in your bookmarks anyway though as you continue to assist others.

Enjoy.
Collapse -
Safe mode cures many ills
by MartySB / June 30, 2006 10:29 AM PDT

Have you tried rebooting in safe mode? I forget the key press, I think it's a F8 key when you start your pc, but tap-tap-tap that key until you're given a boot choice... then boot into DOS (or command prompt). Then run chkdsk /f and it should run fine.

Collapse -
In safe mode it won't give me a command prompt
by mrivory / June 30, 2006 1:15 PM PDT

When I go into safe mode and press - safe mode command prompt it lists all the drivers and then the machine hangs up. It won't move or stop or close. I have to do a ctrl-alt-del to shut it down to get out of it. That I find very strange! I tried clicking on a couple different headings (other than safe mode command prompt) and the same thing happened each time.
Michael

Collapse -
If you really..
by PKsteven / June 30, 2006 6:16 PM PDT

are getting hangs in safe mode command prompt as you say, there may be a reason why chkdsk is always going. This may be an indication of a problematic hard drive or corrupt OS. Before anything else, try and back up any important files you have just to be safe.

Second, are you sure it is hanging? Is there a blinking cursor? Can you type anything?

Paul

Collapse -
I don't know if its officially hanging but its frozen
by mrivory / July 1, 2006 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: If you really..

When I hit the enter key after choosing the safe mode with command prompt it takes me immediately to a page that has from top to bottom a list of all the drivers.
I can't scroll up or down - just that one page is viewable. Nothing is blinking - there is no curser available. There is nothing available. Nothing moves whether I hit enter, esc, tap, backspace, any of the arrows, F8 or any of the F taps or an ctrl-alt-del . The only thing I can do is to hold down the on button until the machine cuts off.
But when I restart the machine I don't get and messages that the machine improperly shut down. I just starts as usual.
I'm totally baffeled. I have everything on my desktop and external hard drive that's needed from the laptop so that's not a problem. I had a hard drive die one year ago on this machine and I lost a lot of data. I'm not that foolish anymore but the new hard drive is one year old and doesn't get that much use because this is a travel computer for me and I haven't been traveling all that much this year.
Any suggestions other than try a new hard drive or OS will be very helpful. I don't wish to go through all that adding back to the computer of software business!!
Suggestions anyone???
Michael

Collapse -
One suggestion that worked for others...
by PKsteven / July 1, 2006 1:27 PM PDT

I had someone else with this issue, and I told them to go to C:\ right click , properties, and run the check yourself manually, <<make sure FIX ERRORS automatically>> is checked as it may be finding some but not fixing them, and then reboot, let it run it's course <<don't hit a key to cancel>>and see how it goes and if you can defrag after. This worked for them.

If it won't work, it can still mean a few things but I am really thinking a bad hard drive or corrupt OS. Yes, it's a royal pain to reinstall and unfortunately I do this all the time for people and my kids. Try to think of it as a fresh start, walking on air, no more error OS. Unless your hard drive is bad, lol.

Paul

Collapse -
ckdsk/f
by wambamman / August 11, 2007 1:06 AM PDT

Thanks Paul.

Your suggested fix worked for me too. After properties, click tools and continue as you said. A blue screen came up and the program went to work.

Seemed like a miracle when I was able to defrag.

The computer had been slowing, unrecognized by me. It'a back to its old blazing speed.

Steve

Collapse -
chkdsk problem
by fran257 / March 25, 2008 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: ckdsk/f

Nothing worked for me and now my computer has crashed!! I cant even get it to start up in ANY mode, safe or otherwise, so now my PC is out of action and have to resort to an old laptop. I started to get the message on that too and then realised it was down to the AOL software. so uninstalled and reinstalled and its fine. Dont know what to do about my dell PC though!

Collapse -
So Have You Tried Using The Dell Recovery Discs...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 25, 2008 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: chkdsk problem

The problem you've experienced could be the result of corrupted files or possibly a bad hard drive.. To determine if a reinstall of Windows will fix the issue, place your REcovery disc in the DVD/CD drive, then restart the computer.. It should cause the Recovery disc to boot and give you options to reformat the machine and reinstall Windows and all the software as it came from the factory.

It's not always a perfect option but if you've got your important files backed up, then at least, you have a functioning computer again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
It didn't work...
by StumpieAngel / September 16, 2007 2:35 AM PDT

I'm having the same problem with the chkdsk error and I tried the simple solution you suggested, and by doing it manually, it still says the same thing the command prompt says. I will try some of the websites that were listed in this thread but are there any other ways of fixing this problem that are mostly simple besides reinstalling?

Collapse -
Broadband modem
by popo / July 6, 2006 5:45 PM PDT

I don't know if this is of any use to you but I can't run a disk check without unplugging my broadband modem first. If I don't unplug it my pc bounces back and forth between trying to boot up and perform a disk check but never actually manages to do either of them. Could you have a similar problem do you think?

Collapse -
can't use defragmenter because of (Chkdsk/f)
by lchicopee / September 24, 2007 8:14 AM PDT

When I go to Disk Defragmentor I click on defragment,
A Message pops up saying: Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the Volume(C) Please run Chkdsk/F
Could you please help me out with what this means or What I should do

Collapse -
Tried Running Chkdsk Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 9:08 AM PDT

Follow the instructions below to run Error Checking/Chkdsk in XP:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

After running the above, you should then be able to run Defrag.

If the above step doesn't help, then have you read and followed the procedures mentioned in the posts in this thread?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Try This - I HAD the same problem
by sambia / October 23, 2007 1:21 PM PDT

I had the same problem all last week and it drove me nuts. I found another way to go through to chkdsk and it was successful.

Go to - MY COMPUTER
Right Click - LOCAL DISK (C:)
Choose - PROPERTIES
Choose - TOOLS - CHECK NOW. A screen will pop up and give you two options. You need to choose the "Automatically Fix File System Errors" (which means the chkdsk/f (fix). I did not choose the second option, but that is up to you.

A screen will ask you if you want to schedule a check disk at startup - you choose Y for YES (even though you are getting the "Can't use Disk Defragmenter because of Checkdisk (Chkdsk/f)) select Y (Yes) anyway.

Make sure you turn your computer completely OFF and then restart. Do not choose the "Restart" on the screen. Turn the computer back on and you will get the "Microsoft Windows" blue check disk screen. After this is completed sometimes your computer will be a little slow. Re-boot and then defrag. It worked great and cleared the chkdsk/f. I have just finished defragging. (Old School Stuff) Hope it works for you.

Collapse -
help
by fran257 / January 11, 2008 5:07 AM PST

I had that problem did as suggested now i cant get my comp to open at all, i get a blue screen and message telling me windows has closed to protect my computer! I have tried opening in normal mode and safe mode and get the same screen and message.
Fran

Collapse -
I think
by PudgyOne / January 11, 2008 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: help

you should start a new discussion. Tell us the problem you are having. Don't let out the details. We need to know the make and model of your computer, OS, Exact error message.

When you posted, the message in red appeared saying

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

We'll be glad to help you out, but we need more information, but please start a new discussion.

Thanks,

Rick

Collapse -
to sambia error message for defragmenter
by Fredsny / March 16, 2008 1:32 PM PDT

your check disk idea worked

Collapse -
I've Done This! And that! And that too!
by buddhistbabe8 / March 17, 2008 10:18 PM PDT

I've tried everything on this board, to no avail. All the programs I download say that "oh, you do have a problem, but you have to pay to resolve it"

Is there any thing free, or any other way I can do it myself?

Collapse -
Maybe better start a new thread ...
by Kees Bakker / March 17, 2008 10:28 PM PDT

for your particular problem. I read nothing about downloaded programs and paying to resolve problems in this thread.

So please start with a fresh new thread, explain your problem, tell what programs you download while trying to solve it, and what EXACTLY each one of them says.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.