Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't update Windows XP after repair reinstall

by Socks of Doom / October 7, 2007 10:08 AM PDT

After doing a repair reinstall on my windows XP computer, I was confronted with the need to reinstall updates. However, when the windows update program goes to install, it automatically switches to the "Failed to install" screen, with all the updates present. This happens with the windows update site as well. This started from the Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1, and persists for every update.

I can successfully install all of these updates manually, though. However, faced with the prospect of installing hundreds of updates (and every update after) by hand, does anyone have any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't update Windows XP after repair reinstall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't update Windows XP after repair reinstall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Known problem, known solution...
by John.Wilkinson / October 7, 2007 10:43 AM PDT

If you heard anything about the 'secret updates' Microsoft pushed out to XP users over the summer, that is the cause of your woes. Thankfully Microsoft has publicized a quick fix in their Knowledge Base, which can be found by clicking here. Follow the instructions and you should be able to download/install all of the updates successfully.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
Please Update The Link You Supplied
by billiej1796 / October 7, 2007 11:00 AM PDT

I have the same problem. After reinstall of Windows XP I can download the updates, but none of the 77 updates will install. The link you provided doesn't take me to MS Knowledge Base article.

Thank you very much for your help.

Collapse -
My appologies...
by John.Wilkinson / October 7, 2007 11:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
Windows update doesn't work at all now..
by Socks of Doom / October 7, 2007 4:57 PM PDT
In reply to: My appologies...

After trying both methods (no success) the windows update site doesn't work any longer as it will open only in firefox. Any ideas?

Collapse -
Try this
by PudgyOne / October 8, 2007 5:01 AM PDT

Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Attempt to run Windows Update

Collapse -
windows update
by jbpasertijo / January 25, 2009 5:29 AM PST
In reply to: Try this

thank you very much for the help.

Collapse -
Thank You!
by billiej1796 / October 8, 2007 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: My appologies...

Thank you for the link. It worked very well. I did have to turn off Automatic Update first, but then had to type only one command. I'm not used to working in DOS, so I was thankful for the step by step instructions.

Collapse -
Bookmark this tutorial
by tallin / January 25, 2009 11:01 AM PST
In reply to: Thank You!
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.