Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can't Uninstall Weather Channel

by GigglingV / September 9, 2005 3:27 AM PDT

Hi, I cannot uninstall the freeware program "Desktop Weather" from The Weather Channel. Both Add/Remove programs and Start/All Programs/Weather Channel/Uninstall bring up an error message that says: "Cannot find file install.log" I went to TWC's website to try to download the program again (hoping that the missing file would then be found), but they no longer offer downloads of the version I have. I downloaded the newer version, but it doesn't replace the older version, so now I've got two weather programs opening at start up and two weather icons in my system tray. I've uninstalled the newer version of the program, but I'd like to uninstall the older one too. Is there another way to uninstall a program? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Uninstall Weather Channel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Uninstall Weather Channel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From Weather Channel FAQ
by eddie11013 / September 9, 2005 6:08 AM PDT

See if this works:
11. I seem to be unable to uninstall Desktop Weather from my computer. What can I do?

This is a known issue with the product, and will be resolved in a forthcoming release. Copying the UNWISE.EXE from the Framework folder to the Desktop Weather folder will resolve this issue. The steps are as followed:

Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, Windows Explorer.
In the left scroll window of Windows Explorer click the + next to My Computer, then click on the + next to C: drive to expand the view.
Scroll down that menu until you find the Program Files Folder.
Double click on the Program Files folder to expand the view.
Scroll down that menu to The Weather Channel FW folder and double click on it to expand the view.
Double click on the Framework folder to display the contents.
Right mouse click on the icon that says "UNWISE.EXE" on the pop-up menu click on COPY.
Go to the tool bar on the window and click the Back button.
In that window right mouse click on the "Desktop Weather" folder and in the pop-up menu click on PASTE.

From that point you will be able to proceed as normal with the uninstall
Hope this works for you.

Collapse -
Can't uninstal Weather Channel
by Grace08046 / November 13, 2009 11:56 AM PST

Hi Eddie, I tried to do that but it does not work.
I still can't uninstall this program.
I sent several messages to Weather Channel support asking for help.
Nobody bothered to answer.
What can I do, how can I finally get rid of it?

Collapse -
Uninstall Desktop Weather or Weather Channel
by ginarichter / September 6, 2010 7:13 PM PDT

If you couldn't uninstall the Desktop Weather or Weather Channel through the control panel and Windows startup list, then you need to track out the directories or program folders and registry keys of Desktop Weather and try to delete them manually. If the manual removal is to complicated for you, you can download a Perfect Uninstaller which can automatically do all the jod for you.

Collapse -
The "weather channel desktop 6" uninstall
by keymaker2k / January 30, 2011 9:37 AM PST

Thank you Eddie, that worked perfectly, I was getting pretty aggravated trying to delete this program and the site where it came from of course was ZERO help. Your walk through was great! I have run into this problem in the past and I am going to try this on my other computers for other programs that are sticky, I will let you know how others work out, which I'm sure they will because of your expertise. Thank you very much, Jerry.

Collapse -
Missing Framework
by Jarrod1112456A / July 7, 2011 5:06 AM PDT
I do understand what you're saying, but I don't seem to have a framework folder, is there another way to uninstall, or if I reinstall the program, will I have the framework folder?
Collapse -
thank you
by znampala / November 17, 2011 1:21 AM PST

this worked thank you so much!!

Collapse -
Uninstalling WX desktop
by kaiserdr / February 18, 2012 10:44 PM PST

I installed the Weather Channel desktop months ago and uninstalling it is a problem. I have not attempted this yet, but thanks for the info.

When I bring up any weather info I get an error message saying there is a "script problem." I am going to attempt to install this program and then reinstall it to see if that solves the problem.

Before coming here I went through the normal uninstall process with Win 7, but no sign of that program in the list.

Collapse -
by bigblacklab2 / February 29, 2012 6:28 AM PST

3 years I've tried to dump this. then I find you. THANKS ..IT WORKED.

Collapse -
weather channel uninstall
by dreste / March 1, 2012 9:05 AM PST

Hi Eddie, I got as far as "Scroll down that menu until you find the Program Files Folder" Don't seem to have one. What else can it be called? Can you advise another way to get back on track and finally remove this thing? Thanks, Dreste

Collapse -
by John.Wilkinson / September 9, 2005 6:17 AM PDT

The uninstallation cannot continue because the file that tells the uninstaller what files to delete has already been deleted. Thus, you'll have to manually remove the program. To do this, delete the program's installation folder. (I believe it's local drive:\program files\weather chanel). After that, run free programs such as RegCleaner and CCleaner, which will erase any remnants (files and registry entries) of Desktop Weather (and other programs) that were left behind. Finally, go to add/remove programs again and try to uninstall it. It will state something to the effect that the program appears to have already been removed, and ask you if you want to delete the entry...say yes to finish the manual uninstallation process.

Hope this helps,

P.S. You'll have to close the program before uninstalling it. Do this by right-clicking the icon in the task bar next to the clock and selecting close/exit.

Collapse -
I tried it...
by GigglingV / September 17, 2005 3:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Yup...

I had already tried TWC's FAQ suggestions before posting to this forum, so I followed your instructions including downloading and running RegCleaner. It found a lot of junk in the registry. When I went back to Add/Remove Programs The Weather Channel listing was gone, but there was something called Weather Service still in the list and I could not remove it. Basically a window popped up from TWC which said I couldn't delete it as long as I had any weather services on my pc. So I guess I've got some weather stuff somewhere that I do not know of, but as long as they don't pop up on the screen during start up, I'm happy.

Collapse -
uninstall the weather channel
by eddyfreen / August 1, 2010 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: I tried it...

i tried to delete it from c drive, my document but i received a message going that windows canno't delete it... appreciate any help.
ahmed tamimi

Collapse -
Then Try Revo Uninstaller
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 1, 2010 12:58 PM PDT
Collapse -
Then Try Revo Uninstaller....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 1, 2010 1:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
by nancypeuraharju / August 10, 2007 5:36 AM PDT

Thank you for posting this uninstall information. I thought that I'd never get that programme off my computer!

Collapse -
(NT) Did anyone check the date of the post of origin
by tomron / August 10, 2007 11:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!
Collapse -
About the date
by nancypeuraharju / August 11, 2007 12:31 AM PDT

Sorry I am not sure what you mean about checking the date of the post of origin...?? If you mean the date that I posted then that would be August 10 2007 (8/10/2007) - I live in Europe therefore our dates read day/month/ year

Collapse -
by tomron / August 11, 2007 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: About the date

What I mean is that the post that you responded to as well as the original post are very old (9/9/05} and most likely you will get no feedback.

Collapse -
Re: OK
by nancypeuraharju / August 11, 2007 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: OK

Ok.. I understand now, thanks! I have not posted before and do not know much about forums, etc.. I was just glad to find a solution to my problem...

Collapse -
Guess not. And, yours date back 5 years to me.
by LucJPatenaude / March 2, 2012 2:15 AM PST

Watch for these, few, returning Necromancers. They tend to raise the electronic dead posts instead of people.

Run I say! Run!

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the alert. Locking this old discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2012 2:18 AM PST
Collapse -
by itisfarzad / January 19, 2009 4:16 PM PST

it worked thanks.

Collapse -
John's uninstall method...
by haloka / March 28, 2009 12:10 PM PDT

Thank you so much for this answer...I was frantic trying to get it off. The Weather Channel web site doesn't have any 'real' Contact Us ability, just FAQ which didn't help at all. I tried what they said to unistall, but it didn't work.

The RegCleaner and CCleaner kind of scared me; the RegCleaner found 111 files. I deleted them, then got an error message about some of the files being shared. But they were gone at that point. Hopefully everything will still function.

I'll be back if it doesn't!

Collapse -
Thank you John
by Lazzarith2002 / August 5, 2009 11:39 PM PDT

Your suggestions worked great including the RegCleaner. I'm just baffled how The Weather Channel would risk their reputation on a program that gives the appearance of something more fishy. I'm just glad I finally rid my computer of it. Thanks again.

Collapse -
method worked up to the registry cleaning step
by mkelly1717 / September 13, 2009 10:57 AM PDT

"run free programs such as RegCleaner and CCleaner..."

40 bucks for RegCleaner is a little off of my idea of free.

Collapse -
by ednaandjack / April 5, 2011 7:01 AM PDT

worked for me also did a clean up in the registry that came with microsoft but be carefull no to delete the weather channel tool bar if you use it

Collapse -
Weather Watcher
by eddie11013 / September 9, 2005 7:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Weather watcher
by nancypeuraharju / August 10, 2007 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Weather Watcher

Thanks for the link to Weather Watcher.. It's a much better weather programme than the Weather Channel desktop. This has many features that are much better.. I especially like that the temps can be displayed in Celcius and Faherenheit simultaneously.

Collapse -
If you still have problems, get the free MS uninstaller
by TONI H / September 9, 2005 9:17 AM PDT

and clean up utility here:;en-us;290301

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility can be downloaded from the above link and it will remove installed programs that can't be uninstalled from the Add-Remove Programs List because you don't have the cd anymore or because the program itself can't locate its uninstall file info.

There is one version of this utility available for individual windows versions from W95, W98, ME, NT 4.0, 2K, XP, and Server 2003. Direct download can be reached at this link:

Collapse -
Just a note.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2007 8:00 AM PDT

A link to a .EXE was posted and not from a site I can validate that checks for spyware, trojans, etc.

Sorry but moderators will err on the side of safety and since the link can't be edited till Monday that post and it's replies are now gone.

Thanks for the posts and hope you understand why it had to go.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.