Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Can't uninstall program in Vista

by adrian785 / June 8, 2007 4:58 PM PDT

Hi,
I'm using Vista Home Basic that comes with my new laptop,there's a problem that I never quite figure out why. In Program and Features i can't Uninstall,Remove or Repair any program. When I click on the program that I wanna remove, the option just didn't show up. Only programs with the Publisher and Installed On information on it can will have the option. I had the same problem the last time but after i reformated my laptop it works fine again but now suddenly I realise that I'm having the same problem again. Can somebody help me please?
Thanks,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't uninstall program in Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't uninstall program in Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you find the uninstaller?
by John.Wilkinson / June 9, 2007 8:50 AM PDT

Out of curiosity, have you run a registry cleaner recently? It's quite possible it deleted the registry keys required to uninstall programs on your computer. In any case, you can uninstall them yourself by browsing for the program's folder in C:\Program Files and looking for an executable like Uninstall.exe or Unis000.exe. Launch that to proceed with the uninstallation of the desired software. You may also want to try installing a new program and, after rebooting, see if you can uninstall it normally.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Haven't run any Registry Cleaner before..
by adrian785 / June 9, 2007 1:23 PM PDT

Hi,
Nope..I haven't run any registry cleaner before.In fact. I don't have any registry cleaner program installed on my machine. I've been using Vista Disk Cleanup though. Would that cause this problem? At 1st i wasn't sure what can be deleted in Disk Cleanup and I posted a thread here in Cnet asking some of the kind and helpful peoples here on what can be deleted and they said that i could delete most of the files so everytime when i run Disk Cleanup, I've been deleting Downloaded Program Files, Temporary Internet Files, Temporary Files, Thumbnails and also all the Window System Error Archives.

Yea I can find the uninstaller for some of the program such as Window Live Messenger and Limewire. The funny thing is that all the latest program that I installed can be removed or repair in Programs and Features. All the older programs I won't be able to remove from there so its either I look for the uninstaller file in Program Files and delete the folders manually. Is this a common problems in Vista where after a certain period of time I won't be able to remove programs in Programs and Features?
Thanx for replying to my thread,

Collapse -
Not common, but...
by John.Wilkinson / June 9, 2007 2:07 PM PDT

It's not a common problem, but I ran into a couple cases under Windows XP where the registry entries would seemingly just disappear after restarting the computer...never found an explanation. The best I can say is something caused some of your registry entries to become corrupt/missing. If it happens again with the recently-installed software you might consider backing up your registry (press Windows + R, type in regedit, then go File->Export) and experimenting with running Disk Cleanup and your various programs to see if one of them is causing the corruption.

Good luck.
John

Collapse -
Was planning to do that..
by adrian785 / June 9, 2007 2:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Not common, but...

Hey, Thanks for the steps on how to backup my registry. I was actually thinking of tryin to Disk Cleanup again to see what happen to my most recent program.Thanks alot for the help John.

Collapse -
vista uninstall problems
by altair401 / November 20, 2007 8:46 AM PST
In reply to: Not common, but...

I have the same problem too. Its seems to most often happen with programs designed for XP a couple years ago before programmers started taking the new vista platform into consideration. I would try manually going to the install directory and finding the uninstall file, right clicking on it and running it in compatibility mode for XP

Collapse -
vista uninstall problems
by papy74940 / April 2, 2008 8:59 PM PDT

I have the same problem too. Its seems to most often happen with programs designed for XP a couple years ago before . To day I can't find solution yet. In this post I don't understant exactly what I have to do?

Collapse -
Thanks John--
by ebik1966 / March 20, 2008 10:46 AM PDT

John:

Thanks for your post-- It helped me tremendously. I was unable to uninstall a program in Vista previously and there was no solution. I had a computer consultant visit our home and he couldn't fix the problem. I had to resort to a full system reformat.

Erik H.

Collapse -
Would This Be Caused Because.....
by tobeach / April 5, 2008 5:45 PM PDT

older programs designed for XP would by default try to link the un-installer to "Add/Delete Programs" file & no such named file exists in Vista? Just curious.... ConfusedHappy

Collapse -
No...
by John.Wilkinson / April 6, 2008 5:29 AM PDT

When a program is installed it generally creates a registry entry with the respective uninstall information, something that didn't change between XP and Vista. Vista names the feature in the Control Panel differently, but it works the same way (accessing those registry entries).

John

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the Informative Reply, John!!
by tobeach / April 6, 2008 4:27 PM PDT
In reply to: No...
Collapse -
Ubuntu Reinstall
by Gmaspoiledbrat / February 7, 2010 7:28 AM PST

I'm trying to reinstall Ubuntu but it wont because it says:
Error executing command
>>command=C:\Windows\System32\bcdedit.exe./delete
{d162b511-3c59-11de-a7a3-00038a000015}/f
>>retval=1
>>stderr=An error occurred while attempting to delete the specified entry.
The system cannot find the file specified.
>>stdout=
For more information, please see the log file:
c:\users\owner\appdata\local\temp\wubi-9.04-rev128.log

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.