Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

Can't Uninstall "PC Cleaners 2012"

by shickley / February 25, 2012 11:09 PM PST

I wasn't paying attention (talking:)) and downloaded a program that turned out to be this monster (PC Cleaners 2012) that I can't get rid of.
The uninstall does not work in any form.
I ran my CCleaner and the uninstall in it, Add/Remove, Spy-bot,, MalwareBytes and Disk Cleanup.
Avast is still in place and running well.
I restarted in safe mode and ran them all again.
I left uninstall running for hours hoping it was just taking a long time. No luck.
The popup apparently blocks the uninstall.
I thought of using 'restore' but won't that still leave it on my machine?
Could someone please give me some advice?
My thanks....
Dell 4600, XP Home.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Uninstall "PC Cleaners 2012"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Uninstall "PC Cleaners 2012"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Something else to try..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 26, 2012 12:28 AM PST

shickley..

I'm not clear as to what you mean when you say, "I left uninstall running for hours".

Putting the above (temporarily) aside, first open the Task Manager and see if you find a "PCCleanerpro.exe" (or the like) running, under the Processes Tab. If there, highlight it and click on "End Process".

Many have had success removing PC Cleaner and other unwanted programs with the Revo Uninstaller. Their FREE version should do the job.

An added word of advice. As a result of a Google search, you will find various PC Cleaner removal guides. Some of them are considered "unsafe" with malicious content. Unless you have link scanner or safe browsing tool such as Web of Trust (WOT), I suggest you "proceed with caution".

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Can't Uninstall
by shickley / February 26, 2012 2:05 AM PST

When I use add/remove and click remove, a popup from PC Cleaners comes up asking if I really want to uninstall. There is no button to click and the add/remove uninstall never uninstalls. It just sits there. Same with CCleaner.

And no it's not running in Task Manager until I try to uninstall then there is a uninst.exe that runs but never accomplishes anything. That is what I let run for hours hoping it was just real slow....as punishment:)

I've also now tried HouseCall no luck with it either.

Your added word of advice came too late:) I tried one of the other removal programs, out of desperation after 2 days, but at least was able to rid myself of it.

Thank you Carol.

Collapse -
Uninstalling always leaves remnants behind....
by mchainmchain / February 26, 2012 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: Can't Uninstall

You could go here and seek help cleaning up left-behind files: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=4.0

They will help you even if you do not have Avast! antivirus on your computer. Be sure to state what you used to remove the program and follow the guide here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0 and attach all logs. Option to attach is in lower left-hand corner under "Attachments and other options". Click that, and your options will open.

Remnants are important because a file left behind could still contact it's master's control server, and download new malware.

Collapse -
Uninstall
by shickley / February 26, 2012 7:06 PM PST

I'm afraid the link instructions were a little too technical for me. I did gain some knowledge from all the reading on this problem. I ended up going where I've never been before (in 15 yrs.)....the registry. I believe it's gone from all the checking I've done now.

In the meantime I will slowly work on learning all the tricks in those instructions in case there is ever a 'next time'.
Thank you for the links.

Collapse -
Answer
uninstalled PC Cleaners
by iking77 / October 19, 2012 1:33 PM PDT

I uninstalled PC Cleaners using this great uninstaller i-obit. It's very great try it on your computer if it doesn't work then try to find some other uninstaller, but i-obit should work.

Collapse -
Beware that title.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2012 3:04 AM PDT

Other folk's experiences have me write "Avoid."

Next time read the prior answers and of course a nod to REVO.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.