PC Applications forum

General discussion

Can't uninstall McAfee Security Center!

by rohan.katipally-208132649 / February 11, 2006 12:35 AM PST

I previously installed McAfee Security Center (it came with the entire internet security suite 2006) and while I was installing it, some error would always occur. So then, I returned the software and then wanted to uninstall all of the partially installed McAfee Software. So then I did that, and I was able to successfully uninstall all McAfee programs via Add or Remove Programs from the control panel...all except one. I couldn't uninstall the McAfee Security Center. I was wondering how I can uninstall it, because when I try to it say first uninstall all McAfee services. I worry that when I install my new Norton Internet Security Suite, that the McAfee may interfere. What do you think I should do? Do you think there is anything else that I forgot to uninstall??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't uninstall McAfee Security Center!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't uninstall McAfee Security Center!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this method
by Dick Humfrey / February 11, 2006 12:48 AM PST

Did you uninstall Privacy service-some forget that one.

How do I Uninstall SecurityCenter?

Summary: This article provides the steps to remove SecurityCenter from your computer.

Note: Before uninstalling SecurityCenter, you must uninstall VirusScan, Personal Firewall, Privacy Service, and SpamKiller.

1. Click on the Start button.
2. Point to Settings (XP users skip this step).
3. Click on Control Panel.
4. Double click Add or Remove Programs.
5. Locate McAfee SecurityCenter in the list of installed programs.
6. Single click on SecurityCenter so that it is highlighted.
7. Click the Add/Remove or Change/Remove button.
8. Follow the prompts to remove SecurityCenter.
9. Restart your computer.

McAfee SecurityCenter has been removed from your computer.

If for some reason, you have removed all of your other McAfee programs and SecurityCenter will still not uninstall, do the following:

1. Double-click on My Computer (on some XP systems, click Start ?? My Computer).
2. Double-click on drive C:
3. Double-click on the Program Files folder
4. Double-click on the mcafee.com folder
5. Double-click on the agent folder
6. Double-click on the app folder
7. Delete any files that end with .adf by right-clicking the file and selecting Delete
8. Use the Control Panel to remove SecurityCenter, as listed above.

Collapse -
Cannot remove Mcafee through automatic method (Win XP)
by mass1580 / March 7, 2006 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: Try this method

I cannot remove Mcafee through the 'automatic' method, when I try it says that Mcafee is still running and that I should stop it first. But I can't find out how to stop it. I have tried Ctrl/Alt/Del and stopped it under APPLICATIONS tab, but it still says it's still running. So I tried to stop it on Ctrl/Alt/Del PROCESSES tab, but cannot identify the Mcafee PROCESSES. Has anyone else encountered this problem and found how to stop it running?

Any help MUCH appreciated.

Collapse -
Mcafee issue
by byker49 / March 7, 2006 12:21 PM PST

Try opening Mcafee program and manually turning off its functions(Real time scanning,email scan,updating etc.)

Disable all the functions that you can and then try to uninstall from Control Panel.

Collapse -
this will fix it
by katherine.r.w / July 13, 2009 4:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Mcafee issue
Collapse -
Uninstalling McAfee
by smallquag / April 16, 2011 7:30 AM PDT

Very helpful. You solved the problem. Thanks.

Collapse -
How to remove McAfee Security Center
by farhan_91 / June 5, 2011 5:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool.
by mrpyro247 / December 4, 2007 4:49 AM PST

I had the same issue uninstalling components of my McAfee Security Suite, and in turn the Security Center. After a long time online with Tech Support, I was directed to the following link: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=107083&lc=1033 I went there, downloaded the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, and it all came right off. I hope this helps anybody that might still be having issues. I think the link is pretty self explanatory. Just follow he steps.

Collapse -
McAfee Removal Tool
by printmatt / July 18, 2009 6:57 AM PDT

Yup, that removal tool simply removes all McAfee programs in your computer. In the past, that tool did not exist so I had to pay to contact their tech support to remove all McAfee programs in my computer. Good thing I use the pay-per-incident option because it took 2 days to clean my computer of any McAfee programs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.