AVG forum

can t uninstall avg antivirus 2012 free edition

by Scipiobal / October 3, 2012 11:48 PM PDT

I installed avg antivirus 2012 free edition and it has some problem, it says eveytime that I have to reboot to complete but then I reboot and nothing happens, it doesnt update and keeps asking me to reboot everytime I reboot. now I just want unistall it but it cant get uninstalled. it gives an error in the end and the same problem remains...please help

this is my inst log

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can t uninstall avg antivirus 2012 free edition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can t uninstall avg antivirus 2012 free edition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: can t uninstall avg antivirus 2012 free edition
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / October 4, 2012 6:46 PM PDT

Hi Scipiobal,

The provided log files revealed that the (un)installation/update is failing on AVG anti-rootkit driver installation. If you wish to uninstall only, please use the AVG Remover utility and perform manual cleanup as described in this AVG Forums article.

If you wish to install AVG again, simply install it using the most recent installation package as mentioned in the linked article. The repeated restart request should be resolved then.

Should the issue persists, please provide us with fresh AVG installation log files and an msinfo output.

Thank you.

Collapse -
I had the same problem.
by christamarie123 / December 22, 2012 8:21 AM PST

Once it was "Uninstalled" it continued to crash my new antivirus. I have tried to reinstall and uninstall several times, Also have done everything there was to do on every forum google had to offer. http://free.avg.com/us-en/support You can call them, they give you the option of someone telnetting into your computer and removing it or an email with step by step instructions. I hope the people with this same problem write plenty of reviews about this so others don't have to suffer with this spam.

Collapse -
RE: I had the same problem.
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / January 1, 2013 9:17 PM PST

Hi christamarie123,

I'm sorry for not answering before. This forum was not moderated by AVG staff during the holiday period.
I'm not sure whether you were able to remove AVG properly from your post. If not please see this AVG Forums article as mentioned above.
Should the AVG remover fail to remove all AVG remnants, please provide us with an msinfo output and AVG remover log file (it is created in the folder you are launching the remover from) for analysis together with detailed description of the situation.

Thank you.

Collapse -
I had to pay a local computer store to remove it.
by christamarie123 / January 7, 2013 9:32 PM PST

I called the AVG staff and he was going to send me an email with instructions on how to uninstall it. That email never came. I felt instead of supporting AVG and paying them to remove it, I payed a local computer store to remove it. Who would have guessed that an Anti-virus program would be more of a problem than a virus itself.

Collapse -
RE: I had to pay a local computer store to remove it.
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / January 8, 2013 12:23 AM PST

Hi christamarie123,

I'm sorry to hear you ended up paying for the removal procedure. The fact that the promised e-mail has not been delivered is quite troubling. Do you have any reference/case number of your communication with AVG technical support? Also, could you tell us what phone number have you used? (Do not post in this public forum personal information like the e-mail address though.) We'll try to track your case and review it.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.