AVG forum

General discussion

Can't uninstall AVG 2011 Free Edition

by amanda061285 / February 2, 2011 7:46 PM PST

Hi,

hopefully someone can help me as i can't seem to find my answer on the avg website and i can't see an email address to contact them.

i am trying to uninstall AVG free edition 2011 and when i am about half way throught the uninstalling process it comes up with the following error:

Severity: Error.
Error Code: 0xC0070643.
Error message: General Internal Error.
Additional message: Driver Installation Failed (0x00000000).
Context: MSI action failed.

Does anyone know what this means?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Amanda

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't uninstall AVG 2011 Free Edition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't uninstall AVG 2011 Free Edition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: Can't uninstall AVG 2011 Free Edition
by Zbynek_AVG AVG Staff / February 2, 2011 10:39 PM PST
Collapse -
uninstalling avg 011 free
by karron97 / February 6, 2011 10:39 PM PST

I joined this forum for exactly the same reason, hoping to find an answer! So I add my plea to Amanda's. By the way, it seems to be accompanied by an invalid license, which you also can't fix. All I - and I assume others - would like to do is uninstall it and start over, hopefully with better results. Thanks.

PS I'm on a Toshiba Satellite, using Vista.

Collapse -
karron
by amanda061285 / February 7, 2011 1:17 AM PST

hi karron,

try the link in Zybnek_avg's reply it worked for me.

this link worked for me, click it and when it opens click the remover link and then choose either the 32 bit or 64 bit one. i wasn't sure which one to use so i just guessed but it did the trick, try both of them lol.

Collapse -
uninstalling avg 011 free
by karron97 / February 7, 2011 9:45 AM PST
In reply to: karron

Wow! That worked! Thanks Zybnek, and Amanda. Now that you've all proven yourselves so resourceful, here are 2 other questions (yes, I am greedy). First, what did you install to replace the AVG? Did you use it again, or choose another app? And second, Windows Defender seems to turn itself off whenever I shut down, and I have to reactivate it each time. I've looked at the options and didn't see anything that would have it automatically start up when I turn on the laptop (I don't leave it running when I'm not using it). All suggestions welcome but thanks in particular for this fix!

Collapse -
Re: uninstallating AVG 2011 Free
by Ondrej_AVG / February 7, 2011 2:43 PM PST

Hello karron97,

yes, I am installing AVG back, if it got corrupted or the conflict application has been already uninstalled.

Windows Defender is disabled (during installation) by almost all anti-virus producers due to possible conflicts and slowdown. Are you already using another protection application? (AVG, MSE, McAfee, etc.)
Else it is mostly started through service:
- press shortcut Win_Key+R (Win_Key = between Ctrl and Alt keys)
- enter "services.msc"
- lookup service named "Windows Defender"
- check its state, if it is running and set up as "Automatic" (you can change the state by double-click on its line)

What is the current situation?

Thank you

Collapse -
uninstalling AVG 2011
by karron97 / February 7, 2011 9:41 PM PST

Ondrej, thanks.Do I understand that if I reinstall AVG and it runs well, I should disregard Windows Defender? Its current situation is that it automatically booted up this time, which is a change I attribute to the fact that the AVG is gone. While I was having the AVG problem, I would get a message each time I logged on that I had security problems; I would go to the control panel and find that defender was turned off. I then turned it on manually.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Re: uninstalling AVG 2011
by Ondrej_AVG / February 7, 2011 11:02 PM PST
In reply to: uninstalling AVG 2011

Hello karron97,

if AVG is correctly installed, it should automatically disable Windows Defender from starting as this is another (default Windows) anti-virus protection. It is not recommended to enable Windows Defender again.

The Windows Security Centre should report only AVG Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware components as active/not active/outdated. There should not be mentioned Windows Defender at all.

What is the current situation?

Thank you

Collapse -
uninstalling AVG 2011
by karron97 / February 8, 2011 4:52 AM PST

Ondrej, thanks ever so much. The current status is that I uninstalled avg, installed a new version, and the security center now shows everything in the green, and no mention of windows defender at all....so it sounds like my system looks the way you said it should. Again, thanks so much, and this being my first experience at using a forum to solve a problem, I have to add that I am really impressed at how effective and reliable it is.

Collapse -
Karron
by amanda061285 / February 7, 2011 9:31 PM PST

Hi again glad u got it fixed lol. I'm using mcafee 2011 anti virus now, I was able to get It off eBay for around

Collapse -
AVG is a Virus - get rid -
by 411-60 / October 1, 2012 10:25 PM PDT

Avg is a highly aggressive and useless program. The uninstall program is nothing but an undertow . I find that there are 2 much better better programs that work well together , and actually protect your P.C. FROM getting viruses, rather than simply preventing access to infected files. Both are free - and also Quiet . The first is AVAST! free anti virus - the second is MALWAREBYTES . Get both, but don't bother with the free full protection 24 day trials, as they will bug you to upgrade during this period. The AVAST! - runs itself , but the daily updates have a loud announcement pop up . Fortunately the volume can be muted using your Realtek speaker control , where it is listed there. MALWAREBYTES should be run periodically to check for Malware , and lets you remove bugs. If your suspecting a problem , run it . This program won't update itself automatically and you should check it for your updates. Can't get Rid of AVG ? don't feel bad , everyone has this problem. If you are not the first purchaser on your P.C., Do THIS > I had a program I couldn't delete, that was getting that insufficient permission notice . I found out how to do it. If you go into - start - select control panel. Then under where it says - user controls and family safety ...choose - Add or remove user accounts - Under - Additional things you can do ... click - go to the main user accounts page - click -'Turn user account control on or off' then turn it -off-. This will allow you to delete any pesky files, your self . Also in this section you can change the Administrator to yourself and create a new password and picture. The P.C. will want to shut down and restart to put changes into effect. You should then have total control of your P.C. > Now Delete AVG files by right clicking on it in your programs list and choose - Open file in it's location - DELETE it and anything else AVG has installed. Be sure to turn your accounts control back ' on '. install the 2 new anti viruses. Lastly , always read the user agreement stuff and remove the check marks from ANY tool bar offer . NEVER accept a tool bar! They are constantly honing in on your signal , and giving themselves preferential access. They HARM your P.C. ! > This post refers to Windows/Vista only ...Mac I know nothing about. -K

Collapse -
AVG is fine, you had a fake version.
by ErikBoesen / April 13, 2014 6:30 PM PDT

Your version of AVG (the 2011 edition) was a known scam. You likely downloaded it from a shady source which was offering a fake version. If you download it from free.avg.com, you will get the official version. I have an arsenal of security software on my laptop, and from what I've seen AVG doesn't do any self-promotion. I'm not biased towards any security software, you can use whatever you like best, I just wanted to clear this up.

Yes, I know it's a really old thread, just happened to stumble over it. Have a nice day!

Collapse -
uninstalling avg 2011
by karron97 / February 7, 2011 9:43 PM PST

Hi Amanda, and thanks. I don't know if you saw the reply from Ondrej and my answer, but what I think I'll do is try the AVG again - but I'm just waiting for Ondrej to answer my last post a few minutes ago before doing that.

Collapse -
Use third party software
by Peteymoney / September 24, 2012 10:03 AM PDT

I couldnt get AVG off my computer completely and it was driving me nuts, ya'll may want to try free generic removers like www.appremover.com or revo.com

Collapse -
Deleting unwanted programs - insufficient permission ? -
by 411-60 / October 1, 2012 9:37 PM PDT

I had a program I couldn't delete, that was getting that insufficient permission notice . I found out how to do it. If you go into - start - select control panel. Then under where it says - user controls and family safety ...choose - Add or remove user accounts - Under - Additional things you can do ... click - go to the main user accounts page - click -'Turn user account control on or off' then turn it -off-. This will allow you to delete any pesky files, your self . Also in this section you can change the Administrator to yourself and create a new password and picture. The P.C. will want to shut down and restart to put changes into effect. You should then have total control of your P.C.

Collapse -
Amanda ,Error answer
by 411-60 / October 2, 2012 4:57 PM PDT

This looks like an AVG brush off we are not meant to understand. Read my other posts for advice . I've yet to see an uninstall program of any description work. If they ever did, AVG has likely updated them out of commission . You do not need an uninstall program. You need to delete these files after gaining control of your P.C. from AVG. (which you have given permission to AVG to do so by installing it.) Notice how when you try to uninstall AVG ( which won't work with they're uninstall download ) they recommend a re -install ? All roads lead back to where you began.

Collapse -
RE: Amanda ,Error answer
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / October 2, 2012 6:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Amanda ,Error answer

Hi everyone,

Please follow this article to uninstall AVG if the standard uninstallation process via Control Panel won't work for you.
Should you face any trouble, please provide us with the AVG Remover log file (created in the same folder you are running the utility from) and an msinfo output for analysis.

More information on how to uninstall AVG Safe Search toolbar can be found in this separated article.

Thank you.

Collapse -
It works!
by kellyjean714 / June 20, 2013 4:58 PM PDT

Thanks JiriF_AVG,

Your instructions have cleared the last of my AVG files.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.