Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't uninstall AVG

by jayfin / March 14, 2006 12:35 AM PST

When I boot up my computer I receive the following message: ?Could not initialize AVG Anti-virus kernel interface. Application cannot run.?

I tried to uninstall the program by using the add/remove function and I received the following: ?Installation failed! Press the details to show the error details." Which then showed the following: ?Installer initialization failed due to the following error: Error: Initialization of the language file ?C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\setup.ins? failed.
General failure ?

Also tried to remove the program by using AVG uninstaller from the all program folder and received the same message.

Tried to delete the Gisoft folder from the C:\program files folder and received this message: ?Error Deleting File or Folder. Cannot delete avgamsvr.exe: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.?

I am using McAfee?s Anti-virus software but before installing it I was using AVG. I uninstalled AVG before installing McAfee but because of a computer problem had to use the restore function and restored the computer to an earlier time when AVG was installed and then I reinstalled McAfee since it was no longer installed. So it seems that somewhere a corruption took place with AVG and I would just like to get it out but I can?t seem to. I tried reinstalling AVG which became operational, but I still got the ?could not initialize?? message on bootup then I uninstalled it via the all programs function and the icons disappeared along with the folder but in the C:\Programs File the Grisoft folder is still there. And the folder is still in the control panel Add/Remove section and cannot be removed.

Any suggestions?

OS is Windows XP with SP2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't uninstall AVG
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't uninstall AVG
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link. Pretty amazing...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2006 12:38 AM PST
In reply to: Can't uninstall AVG
Collapse -
Re: Link. Pretty Amazing
by jayfin / March 14, 2006 1:43 AM PST

Yes, it is pretty amazing. Very well spelled out. I did what it said up to the point of reinstalling AVG. All signs of AVG have disappeared.

Thanks for the link and very quick response.

Collapse -
could not initialzie avg virus kernel interface
by annehargon / November 11, 2007 1:32 AM PST

I could not download AVG again.

Collapse -
(NT) Have someone do that for you...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2007 2:42 AM PST
Collapse -
avg fails to initalze
by kerry richard warwick / November 18, 2007 2:24 AM PST

each time i time iwant to update avg or scan avg has message that reads avg anti-virus kernal interfaze self extract comes up can you help

Collapse -
Try the usual fixes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2007 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: avg fails to initalze

Download the latest, uninstall it, install the latest.

Collapse -
can't uninstall avg
by betterthanbe4 / December 9, 2008 2:25 AM PST

The same thing happened to me. I could have written the previous post. What does avg antivirus kernel interface mean? I just want it off my computor.

Collapse -
Yes you could have written the same.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2008 3:27 AM PST
In reply to: can't uninstall avg
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.