Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can't type in yahoo search box

by cnetcomputerforum / October 31, 2008 10:34 PM PDT

Please help: HP Satellite lap top, windows XP home, Internet explorer. I cannot type in the yahoo search box or the yahoo mail sign in box. When i move the mouse over to the search box it changes to an "I" shape as it should. Clicking in the box however does not show the cursor. Typing does not do anything. Same thing happens if I go to the yahoo mail sign in box. I am able to click on and get to the links on the page. I can type in the address bar on that page. I have turned the computer off and on several times. I have even defragmented the hard drive. Nothnig has changed the problem. I would appreciate any help Thanks. J

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't type in yahoo search box
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't type in yahoo search box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can You Type In Other Search Boxes?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 1, 2008 8:22 AM PDT

Such as....click on the link below and type in the Google search window:

http://www.google.com/

Does it work? If so, it may simply be a Yahoo problem..

It would also be nice to know which browser you're using?? If Internet Explorer, please try installing Firefox from the link below and see if it helps...

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

And when was the last time you updated you're Java version.. Try the steps below:

First, try installing the newest version of the Windows Script Engine and Java using the instructions below:

Download and install the latest version of Java and the Windows Script Engine. (

First, to install the Script Engine, click on the link below, download the file to your desktop, then double click on it to install the script engine.):

Windows Script Engine Version 5.7
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=47809025-D896-482E-A0D6-524E7E844D81&displaylang=en

Next, Sun Java
Click on the link to Sun's Java below, then scroll down and click on the ''Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 10'' download button. Follow the prompts, select the Windows platform and the "Language", accept the license agreement, then download the full ''Windows OFFLINE Installation'' file to your desktop,(about 15 MB), scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure it's clean). Once that's done, if you've already got a Sun Java version on the computer, open the Control Panel, double click on the ''Add/Remove Programs'' section, then uninstall all previous versions of the J2SE Java listed there. Once that's done, then install Java JRE 6u10 from the downloaded installer.

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Once Java is installed, if you're using IE7, then click on "Tools' in the upper left, select "Internet Options" , then the "Security" tab, then highlight"Internet" icon (the world globe), click on gthe "Custom Settings" button and change the security level to "Medium", instead of "Medium-High". If you're not using IE7, then set the same settings in IE6 to "Medium".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
fix for problem
by Nilolevod / May 24, 2010 9:03 AM PDT

It sounds like you have a computer virus. The best fix is to do a system restore to a date before this started happening.Go back a week before if you can.

Olin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.