Cameras

General discussion

Can't turn on the Flash

by mar040 / November 7, 2008 9:34 AM PST

I bought a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H50 around 3 months ago and was using it regularly without a problem until recently. For some reason, I no longer have the capability to use the flash on the Auto Adjustment mode. Whenever I try setting it I get the message "Flash settings cannot be changed". I've looked over the Instructions Manual many times but can't seem to find anything about this. Has anyone had this problem and if so who was it fixed?

Thank you.

B

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't turn on the Flash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't turn on the Flash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks!
by mar040 / November 9, 2008 11:04 PM PST

Thanks for the reply. I'll check it out! Happy

B

Collapse -
Sony H50
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 8, 2008 12:11 AM PST

The most likely reason is that something is set wrong.
There are many settings that affect the flash.

The first thing to try is to reset the camera to factory specifications.

The Sony Handbook is really vague about how to reset the camera.
But I think I have found it.
They use the word "Initialize"

You will find it referenced on page 94 of the Cybershot Handbook.
That will direct you back to page 89 to find "Initialize" in the menu.

If that does not cure your flash problem, you should contact Sony support.
Your camera is still under warranty.
I am sure they have had this problem come up before, and have the solution.

Collapse -
Thank you
by mar040 / November 9, 2008 11:07 PM PST
In reply to: Sony H50

Thanks for the reply! I'll check out the pages you suggested and reach out to tech support should I still incounter the problem.

B

Collapse -
Sony H50 "Flash settings cannot be changed"
by nagnag1cnet / November 1, 2009 1:41 PM PST

I know that this reply is to a post a year ago, but it might help anyone with the same problem in the future. I also had this "Flash settings cannot be changed" message come up after using my H50 for several months with no problems. It was very irritating, because I missed out on getting some great pictures of my nephew on Halloween night because the camera was stuck in "no flash" mode and I was not able to change it. On this night I didn't realize I had forgotten my memory stick until I turned it on. Maybe this triggered the error, a bug in the software? Once the flash error happened, I could not change the flash setting in the Auto Adjust Mode, even after putting the memory stick back in.

After searching around the web, I found the solution to another Sony model, and it worked on my H50 as well. It is very simple, all you have to do is re-initialize the camera. I don't recall initializing the cameara in the first place. Maybe that was part of the problem? I originally set the time and date, but did not run the initialize process. I looked through the manual several times, and it never mentions the initialize process. It shows it as an option of the Main Settings, but does not say a word about it! love the camera, but the printed Instuction Manual is HORRIBLE! Maybe the PDF version is better.

Here is how it is done on the H50: Turn on the camera, press the HOME button, turn the dial until you get to MAIN SETTINGS mode (the little tool box picture), press the center button to get to the "Main Settings 1" menu. Arrow down to the "Initialize" option, press the center button to get to the initialize process, arrow up to highlight the "ok" and press the center button. Set the time and date, and your back in business.

Collapse -
flash setting solution
by jneilon / January 23, 2011 11:59 PM PST

I had the same problem with my h5o and found the same solution going to the "initialize" option in the main settings. I've had to do it several times over the course of a year. Is there a cause and does Sony bear any responsibility for this flaw. I also seem to experience a longer than usual lag time after pressing the shutter button till the picture is taken. The auto focus seems to get confused and sometimes doesn't take a picture. I've missed some real good ones. Anyone else with that problem?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.