Download.com Site Feedback forum

Alert

Can't trust cnet anymore.... malware/spyware in downloads

by accuracy22 / November 18, 2012 5:12 PM PST

I consider myself an advanced PC user.

A file i was looking for, i needed to download quickly on the internet as I was in a rush.

Found the file I was looking for on CNET.
I realized that I chose to use the CNET installer instead of the direct download link, but I thought to myself: "well whatever, it's CNET, I trust them that they aren't going to install any BS on my computer so I just let it download on my computer".

However I was very much so wrong.

In the installer processes it kept asking me to install this Claro crap toolbar , which I declined, as well as another malware package I also declined. Then i downloaded and got my file. However, to my surprised when I opened my web browsers, (chrome & firefox) , they both had extensions installed, and changed my homepage to the claro garbage. Somehow it installed even though I declined and unchecked the install box.

The annoying part is that it's not as simple as just uninstalling the toolbar from Programs& settings in control panel. It was quite the hassle messing with my browser settings to go back, as well as scan my computer for the damned spyware.

Never again will I use this website for downloads in the future.

sorely dissapointed. It's 1am and I don't want to waste my time with this nonsense.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't trust cnet anymore.... malware/spyware in downloads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't trust cnet anymore.... malware/spyware in downloads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
to add.
by accuracy22 / November 18, 2012 5:21 PM PST

and admins, don't tell me your propaganda junk about "oh, well just click on direct download next time"

that's not even addressing the real problem that you guys are trying to take advantage of 90% of unexperienced computer users' ignorance, in order for financial gain via Advertisements. I used to work for techsupport at my university as a part time job, and people's computers are always messed up and slowed to a snails pace from this junk. weatherbug, toolsbars, etc etc.

and in my experience, ive used a handful of other companies (Trusted ones) installer clients, and never had a problem like this.

Only lowend websites who are desperate for income such as torrent sites or other piracy pages, use the trick of the MASSIVE green button, to try to get people to download something they don't really want (which is in a font a tenth of the size as the other)

Collapse -
Got spamware from cnet download.com site
by ck_s / May 6, 2013 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: to add.

I have used download.com for past 10 years and found it reliable. But the site has become source of malware and spamware now. I downloaded a couple of freeware and got some spams which modified my firefox and chrome settings. I lost all my saved tabs.

I will never use download.com again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.