Office & Productivity Software

General discussion

Can't send email...Outlook can't connect to SMTP server

by bzitomer / May 6, 2004 4:00 AM PDT

I'm running XP, using Outlook 2003. McAfee's Personal
Firewall and VirusScan are installed. My ISP is Time
Warner's Road Runner service. I can receive email but get the following error when sending email:

Task 'pop-server.nyc.rr.com - Sending' reported error
(0x80042109) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your
outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

McAfee support says it's a problem with the ISP. The ISP says it's a problem with McAfee or MS.

The outgoing mail server is correctly set. I disabled
McAfee, but still get the error. I also created a new
profile, but that did not work either.

Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't send email...Outlook can't connect to SMTP server
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't send email...Outlook can't connect to SMTP server
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Can't send email...Outlook can't connect to SMTP server
by Kees Bakker / May 6, 2004 4:21 AM PDT

Are you sure they are correctly set?

http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/twcrr?text=1 tells me:

Incoming E-Mail Server

pop-server.(domain).rr.com

Example: pop-server.nyc.rr.com

Outgoing E-Mail Server

smtp-server.(domain).rr.com

Example: smtp-server.nyc.rr.com

Pop-server is for incoming mail, smtp-server for outgoing mail.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Re:Can't send email...Outlook can't connect to SMTP server
by bzitomer / May 6, 2004 4:27 AM PDT

yes, those are the settings I have.

Collapse -
Mysterious ...

exchange of servers indeed.

Time to start the swapping line of research:
1. Configure Outlook Express on your computer and see it it will connect.
2. Download Mozilla (or Mozilla Thunderbird) from www.mozilla.org and see if it will connect.

Then find another computer and make an email-account there to your mailbox. It's not unlikely you won't be allowed to sent email (with a message like 'relay access denied'), because you aren't connected with your own userid with your own ISP, but most ISP's will allow reading your mail, even when logged in with another ISP (and using the correct logon for e-mail, of course). If not, you'll get an error message distinctly different from what you get now.

This would more clearly show if the error is in Outlook, in your computer (configuration of firewall, or XP) or with your ISP.
I suspect something (unknown yet) on your computer.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Windows 8: CAnnot find sever settings for OUtlook.
by cwatson50 / December 13, 2012 9:41 PM PST

I have used the correct settings just like the ones used above.
But this does not work. I continue to get the message my computer cannot find the server connection.
Sounds like a firewall problem or Windows Defender. But I didn't get a message from either of those programs indicating something was trying to get through.
I have a Sony Vaio , 64 bit, all in one desk top, touch screen. I installed Windows 8 with a disk instead of a download.

Collapse -
Re: settings
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 9:47 PM PST

- Do the same settings work in another email program (Thunderbird is a free download, so easy to try)
- Do the same settings work in another PC?

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Can't send email...Outlook can't connect to SMTP server
by Ford / December 6, 2004 3:32 AM PST

Did you ever solve your problem? I am having the same problem with Outlook where I can receive email but get the message "cannot connect to outgoing (SMTP) server" when I try to send email. I have Windows XP and McAfee virus and spam filter.

Collapse -
by caktus / December 6, 2004 10:40 AM PST

Unlike instructions I've seen "SMTP" must be intered in small case letters i.e. "smtp".

Don't know if this applies to your particular circumstance but hope this helps.

Collapse -
by ohoude / December 9, 2004 12:42 AM PST

I have the exact same problem here...
I have a windows XP sp2 computer with Office 2003 installed and Norton Anti-Virus 2004.

I suspect Norton to be responsible because i have another computer here have Symantec client Antivirus and absolutely no problem. Sending and receiving without any problem. By the way i have Office 2003 with sp1...

I have uninstalled Norton without any result... So, i'm still stuck with the same problem. I also contacted Microsoft about this and they put me on hold for 25 minutes, i hung up without having any answer....

I've made some research on the web and it seems that nobody have found a fix for this bug

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2004 1:06 AM PST

I can't help you either. Here's why. Too few details and most will not tell what network they are on, omit the name of the SMTP server, not read sites like http://faq.1and1.com/e_mail/miscellaneous/2.html and report back how the telnet session worked out.

Others consider it too much work to use telnet or can't subsitute their email server for what's in that web page. Others will not PING the SMTP server and report back.

There is no "cure" only tests to see where the issue is.

Again, all this involves quite a step up in what you'll be doing and rolling with the new information since there is no "step by step".

Let's start with NSLOOKUP. Open a command window and type ...

NSLOOKUP yourstmpservernamehere.com

What happens?

Bob

Collapse -
by ohoude / December 9, 2004 2:03 AM PST

My dns server tells me the name, address and also the alias i used of my smtp server...

Collapse -
Exactly why I can't help you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2004 2:26 AM PST

You didn't tell me the numbers, names and such.

As it stands, you get to deal with your ISP.

I hope you find it.

Bob

Collapse -
Can't send email...Outlook can't connect to SMTP server
by cvjetka / February 18, 2005 3:03 PM PST

If you have Windows XP SP2 (not sure how it works with SP1), Click CHANGE FIREWALL SETTINGS - click on ADVANCE - click on connection you are using for email -on the next page make sure that there is a check mark in front of POP3 and SMTP. Done! After hours of changing settings, this worked for me. Good luck to you!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.