Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

>> Can't see external USB Hard Drive???

by theboxer5 / January 14, 2010 10:40 AM PST

Hi I bought a PC USB to IDE/SATA Converter Cable and I connect a 2.5" laptop IDE internal hard drive to my USB port. I see it's being connected under the right icon of "Safely Remove Hardware" as a USB Mass Storage Device. But in My Computer I DON'T see the external hard drive at all?? How can I see the hard drive so I can get some data from it. This also happen when I connect a 3.5" desktop IDE internal hard drive to the USB port. Somehow it don't show up in my computer.
But the funny thing is if I connect an IDE CD-ROM drive it works fine. What's going on? Any help is appreciated.

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP3.
The usb cabe is 13796 PCA BUSBX0017 and I bought it at Amazon at this link :

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: >> Can't see external USB Hard Drive???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: >> Can't see external USB Hard Drive???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This happens when
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2010 11:12 AM PST
Collapse -
I used another HDD
by theboxer5 / January 14, 2010 11:27 AM PST
In reply to: This happens when

I toke one working IDE hard drive from one computer with Windows XP Pro that use the same NTFS but the problem is the same. The "Safely Remove Hardware" icon can spot it as a USB Mass Storage Device but the MY COMPUTER does NOT show the Hard Drive. Maybe the USB connector is defective. ?

Collapse -
You can't know until
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2010 12:42 PM PST
In reply to: I used another HDD

You partition and format a drive on that adapter. Not all adapters allow movement from internal to external but so far your test means I've try another drive.

Does the drive show in DISK MANAGEMENT?

Collapse -
(NT) Did you try the LaCie Miracle?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2010 12:45 PM PST
In reply to: You can't know until
Collapse -
Problem Solved.
by theboxer5 / January 15, 2010 3:10 PM PST

I found out the problem. You can only connect it directly to the motherboard USB port - it DOESN'T work on an extension USB hub or on a PCI USB card. And you have to connect it in a certain way with the LAST step connecting the female USB end to the motherboard USB port.

Collapse -
SIIG 2.0 to USB sata/ide converter
by smithj49357 / June 11, 2010 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem Solved.

I don't see the hard drive in "my computer"? I'm using Win 7 upgraded from vista. Thought I did and so unplugged it to make sure but the drive stayed. Also I don't have a USB eject option any where?

Collapse -
I used a different hard drive and have the option to unplug
by smithj49357 / June 11, 2010 11:49 AM PDT

I used a different hard drive and have the option to unplug the usb to ata/atapi bridge adapter. The hard drives used are each IDE for desktop. If there for desktop does that make them 3.5 automatically?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.