Windows Legacy OS forum

can't see entire subject in yahoo mail

by rhodeyes1 / April 2, 2012 3:51 AM PDT

In my yahoo mail I get notices from freecycle which is a wanted and offer for free site.The subject line might go like this: OFFER: mens jeans both blue and grey.However with the long subjects when I look at the subject line I can't see it all.I will see something like this:OFFER:mens jeans both.....
I used to be able to see it all just by putting the cursor on the subject line but that doesn't work anymore.It might have been a different computer.Do any of you know if there is a way to get that cursor working again so I don't have to click on the subject then wait for the message to read the whole message?I am using firefox browser.Thank you

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't see entire subject in yahoo mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't see entire subject in yahoo mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / April 2, 2012 4:02 AM PDT

Nope. That's something only Yahoo's developers can fix, and based on my experience, they really aren't all that interested in user feedback.

The mouseover tooltip would require that you have JavaScript enabled, assuming that they have the code in the website to make that happen.

Basically, when it comes to dealing with web apps like Yahoo email, you're pretty much entirely at the mercy of whatever the developers of that site provide. As much as anyone else may want to help you, there's really nothing they can do. This is one of the aspects about "the cloud" which is often missing from the general discussion.

Collapse -
it used to work
by rhodeyes1 / April 2, 2012 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope

How do you explain that it used to work?I checked and java is enabled.

Collapse -
One explanation is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2012 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: it used to work

That Yahoo keeps changing their code on the email and other apps. This could confuse folk today.

Collapse -
by rhodeyes1 / April 2, 2012 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: One explanation is

yes I guess that could have happened.Maybe you know why i don't get notification of someone answering in my email.I checked the box that asks if I want notification and this topic is listed in 'my tracked discussions'.Could it be that I just posted and it takes some time for this site to send it to my email?I notice at the bottome of this window that I'm answereing you with there is a box that again asks if i want to be emailed.Do I have to check a box every time I make a reply.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 2, 2012 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: ok

It can take a few minutes up to a half an hour for the email to be sent.

And Yep, there is currently a bug in the forum software. Your tracking option for each thread you select is remembered and you will get the emails, but the software isn't updating the threads. It's been reported and is being worked on.

Collapse -
This forum has such tracking and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2012 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: ok

I've seen notifications take hours.

As to your new question, that depends on their code and system. Here it's on/off per discussion.

Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / April 2, 2012 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: it used to work

Also, Java and JavaSCRIPT are two entirely different things. The name similarities are really kind of unfortunate, because they confuse a great many people. There's a historical reason for it that no longer makes any sense, but if I said EMCAScript, very few people would have any clue about what I was referring to.

Depending on the browser, it might be called JavaScript, or it might just simply be referred to as "Scripting". This is where you need to use a little logical reasoning and work out that I said something about JavaScript, so maybe anything having to do with scripting would be a place to start.

And as Bob said, Yahoo (and all the others) are constantly tweaking the code for their websites, which is very different from a program you might install on your computer. The program on your computer remains static, never changing unless you install a new version. With web based apps, changes can be made at any time, and when you load the site again, you are "installing" the new version. So love or hate the changes, there's no going back.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.