Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Can't scroll pages in Firefox with mouse center wheel

by Joe3Eagles / September 8, 2007 7:54 PM PDT

Until recently, I've been able to scroll within web pages using the mouse's center scroll wheel with all the browsers I use (FF, IE, Opera). For some reason I can no longer do so in Firefox. I tried the overkill method and uninstalled FF via Add/Remove Programs and deleted the Mozilla Firefox folder from the Programs directory. I haven't made any changes in about:config since I've reinstalled, but the scroll wheel still doesn't work! I even tried with Scroll Lock on and off; no difference. Scrolling with the center wheel works fine in the other browsers. Did I do something stupid, not related to the browser settings?

I'm using Windows XP Pro and Firefox on a Dell Inspiron 9200 with a Dell M-UVDEL1 mouse (a very vanilla setup).

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't scroll pages in Firefox with mouse center wheel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't scroll pages in Firefox with mouse center wheel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by tomron / September 9, 2007 12:39 AM PDT

In about:config.Are these your settings as provided by this LINK

mousewheel.withnokey.sysnumlines = true

mousewheel.withnokey.numlines = 1

mousewheel.withnokey.action = 0

Collapse -
Can't scroll pages in Firefix with mouse center wheel
by Joe3Eagles / September 9, 2007 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Joe3Eagles

Thanks for responding, Tom.

I tried your suggestion before I reinstalled Firefox. It made no difference. Tried it again just now, no difference. Any other possibilities?

Thanks again!

Collapse -
ANY mouse drivers?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2007 5:33 AM PDT

I have seen this when the mouse drivers get in the way. So I never install them.

Collapse -
by tomron / September 9, 2007 6:03 AM PDT

Sometimes settings change,did you check tools>options>advanced tab>is scrolling checked?

Collapse -
Can't scroll pages in Firefox with mouse center wheel
by Beltonian / September 2, 2008 2:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Joe

Tom , your answer of "Sometimes settings change,did you check tools>options>advanced tab>is scrolling checked?" was dead on. Thank you very much.

On my screen, the only reference to scrolling was in the 'Browsing' area, in which I found three (3) options:

- Use autoscrolling (it was NOT checked - << THIS was the problem!)
- Use smooth scrolling (checked - no direct impact)
_ Check my spelling as I type (checked - not relevant)

I just checked the first item and badda-bing - problem solved.

Thanks again,

Collapse -
Specific Firefox Browser Version in Question
by Beltonian / September 2, 2008 2:13 PM PDT

Sorry - forget to mention the build - DOH!

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv: Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1

Collapse -
Can't scroll in Firefox
by BillHoover / March 17, 2008 8:26 AM PDT

Man, I could've written your question. First, have you solved the problem. I've given up using Firefox for anything but 2nd email box checking because of this. One of the answers you got said it might be a mouse program added that's getting in the way. I suspect that's the answer. I almost never use any other mouses so I'm gonna dump them and see if that solves the problem. Please let me know if you found a fix at: Thanks

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.