Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Can't run ScanDisk

by golfish17 / December 11, 2005 11:49 PM PST

When I try and run ScanDisk on my C drive I eventually get a message "ScanDisk has restarted 10 times because Windows or another program has been writing to this drive. Quitting some running programs may enable ScanDisk to finish sooner. Do you want to continue receiving this warning?" All programs seem to be closed out. I paused my antivrus thinking that was an issue. My spyware doesn't seem to have a pause button available. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't run ScanDisk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't run ScanDisk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Donwload this program
by TONI H / December 12, 2005 12:42 AM PST
In reply to: Can't run ScanDisk
http://www.pcwarfare.com/pctools.toc.htm

Close All Running Programs

and install it. Now when you need to close everything, it will do it for you. Then you can run Scandisk and reboot the computer to 'turn those programs back on'.

TONI
Collapse -
Suugest you Try
by colindarby / December 12, 2005 5:31 AM PST

When I have the problem such as you are having I bring up my "ME" computer in "Safe Mode"

Just on Startup keep klicking "F8" key

You will find with Safe mode it will use only a few basic programms

Collapse -
Probably
by Blue_Zee / December 12, 2005 6:34 AM PST

Running it in Safe Mode will solve your problem, but you can also get the free ScanDefrag. It is the most advanced disk maintenance program there is. It runs Disk Cleanup, ScanDisk, and Disk Defragmenter.

It's easy to setup and use, and it can deal with problems like ''drive's contents have changed: restarting...''.

Get it and read about all the options it has that you can use. It is a small download.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/main.htm
http://www.blueorbsoft.com/scandefrag/index.html

First configure Disk Cleanup (tick all options), then ScanDisk (as suggested by ScanDefrag) and at last Disk Drefagmenter.

Click RUN and let the process finish. If the HDD is as messy as it sounds, it may take a while to finish the 3 processes, but be patient, it will pay back.

Zee

Collapse -
scan disk
by GeoC / December 16, 2005 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: Probably

Golfish I had the same problem. You need to close the program Ccap first. Press and hold down Ctrl and alt. Then press delete. When the window comes up click on Ccap and then click end task. You should be able to run scan disk then.

Collapse -
Ccap
by Aivas / December 20, 2005 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: scan disk

Ah, yes. That one is a nuisance. It's part of the Norton Anti-Virus, etc. Suite. Lately it seems to be behaving, but it usually resists shutting down.

Bob K

Collapse -
What to do with Ccap?
by masmowa / March 30, 2006 7:46 AM PST
In reply to: Ccap

How do you arrange for ccAP not to show up at shut down?

Collapse -
CANT RUN SCAN DISK
by COLC / December 24, 2005 4:20 AM PST

Golfish have you had any success with your problem? I have exactly the same situation, cannot scan or defrag without getting the same message even in safe mode. I have tried all the suggestions provided by others so far with no success at all.
This problem has only recently appeared.
Very Frustrating
COLC

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ScanDefrag also failed?
by Blue_Zee / December 24, 2005 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: CANT RUN SCAN DISK
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.