Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Rant

Can't reset password and log in

by MicroShafted / August 21, 2012 2:44 PM PDT

I can get to reset password, reset it and my password does not work when I go to login.

Support say they can't login either... what to do?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't reset password and log in
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't reset password and log in
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More info is needed
by KenHusveg / August 21, 2012 3:53 PM PDT

Microsoft Live?
What steps have you tried?
Did you forget your password?
If you forgot your password you may still be able to get it back with one of these,
Password Recovery Utilities.
http://nirsoft.net/

Collapse -
Support at GFWL
by MicroShafted / August 21, 2012 11:07 PM PDT
In reply to: More info is needed

GFWL signed into my account and got an error, there was no login and it came up with an error (I wasn't told what error and try to sign in in a few hours there was some issue.

I can reset the password no worries, but when I try to log in the new password is wrong.

I have sent a support ticket here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/profile-support On the bottom link of the two.

Microsoft so far have said I don't have enough information to recover my account, now it contains mostly just my GFWL games.

The origanal email I created it with doesn't exist, I add my new ID and email and it worked well for year for just msn, nothing else. Then I stoped using it for msn and only used it for games for windows live.

They asked me for recently sent email, there are none, folders I made, there aren't any I remember making, people I have contacted by email, which is nobody via my live ID.

Would the CD keys associated with my account be evidence enough, nobody else should have those except me and I can provide the keys for every game on there if they let me talk to them.

I am going to ring GFWL and demand they fix it tomorrow, I got their number for AU
Australia
Phone number:
1800 555 741

Hours of operation (AEST):
7.00am to 9.00pm - Monday to Friday
9.00am to 5.00pm - Saturday and Sunday

Collapse -
(NT) What support?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 21, 2012 5:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
GFWL support.
by MicroShafted / August 21, 2012 11:11 PM PDT
In reply to: What support?

Unless your being sarcastic, I was talking to GFWL support for 3 hours with no luck today, tomorrow, i'll try the phone, at least then I can use some voice modulation to capture their attention. I'm not going to yell, but i can guarantee they will be aware I am very unhappy about having a thousand dollars worth of games locked away from me.

Collapse -
Re: support
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 21, 2012 11:18 PM PDT
In reply to: What support?

I wasn't sarcastic. I just didn't know you were talking about GFWL. Nothing in your first post mentioned that. KenHusveg in the second post even thought you were talking about the password for your Windows account on your PC.

But you made it clear now. Alas, only Microsoft can solve your issue. Nobody else can fix your account there. So the answer to the question in your first post ("what to do now") can be not much more than "keep talking with Microsoft".

Kees

Collapse -
by MicroShafted / August 21, 2012 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: support

Seems like I just have to persist, baffles me that they say I don't have enough proof of ownship, when I have full access to the account that is the live ID. Eg.myaccount@gmail I can access at gmail and this isn't enough proof I own myaccount@gmail.com live ID.

What do I need more than the account that created it?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.