Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Can't rename jpeg file!?

by doverjvn / July 9, 2004 3:52 AM PDT

Hi, I am receiving an error message when I try to rename some of my JPEG photos in a My Documents folder I keep my digital photos in. The error
message reads: "Error Renaming File or Folder.......Cannot rename (example) MISC. WEDDING PIC (MWP) #1: Access is denied..........Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use". Other photos in the folder that have names like (example name: BOB SMITH) I am able to rename, but the longer names like the one above that contain symbols will not allow renaming. Why is that? I tried copying the photo to a new folder, but I still get the same error message. Suggestions? Thanks, Jimmy.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't rename jpeg file!?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't rename jpeg file!?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Boot in Safe Mode and try renaming those files there
by Cetin Denislam / July 9, 2004 4:16 AM PDT

Collapse -
Re: (NT) Boot in Safe Mode and try renaming those files ther
by doverjvn / July 9, 2004 4:38 AM PDT

Dear Cetin, thanks for the response. I booted in Safe Mode and tried renaming the file, with the same result of receiving the error message. Any other suggestions? Thanks, Jimmy.

Collapse -
Re: Familiarize yourself with the context ...

In this case, the problem could be because of permissions and/or illegal characters in the File Name. In the latter case, it's not an easy solution for renaming.

Anyway, try to gather info (narrow down the context) as described in the following MSKB article:

Q315688 - "How to Locate and Correct Disk Space Problems on NTFS Volumes in Windows XP"

After you'd gather the info and familiarize with some commands, try to open a cmd prompt (click Start, Run type cmd and press Enter). Type the following commands and press Enter after each:

cd "%userprofile%\My documents\My pictures"

ren "long_filename.jpg" shortnam.jpg

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re: Can't rename jpeg file!?
by Emlock / July 9, 2004 6:47 AM PDT

Remove the period(.) after MISC and the parenthethes from around MWP.

Collapse -
by doverjvn / July 11, 2004 1:30 PM PDT

Emlock, thanks for the response. Since I was unable to rename the files, I was of course unable to remove the period and the parentesis. I finally gave up and called Microsoft. The final fix was to delete the files using Shift + Delete. Then I downloaded the photos again from my camera's Compact Flash card. Now everything is working fine. I may never know why this happened. Microsoft says, "corrupted files". Jimmy.

Collapse -
About the original problem and the fix ...
by Cetin Denislam / July 11, 2004 9:14 PM PDT

Well, that workaround was too easy. In your initial description you didn't tell that you have those pictures on the compact flash.

Suppose that you didn't have them on Compact Flash and you wanted to rescue the pictures with corrupted file names. This is a challenge problem and that should've been your question for MS techs. The answer is in the envelope.

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re: About the original problem and the fix ...
by doverjvn / July 13, 2004 1:36 PM PDT

Dear Cetin, thanks for the response again. I'm not an advanced techie. I didn't even know that Shift + Delete was the "serious" version of Delete. As far as I knew, the Microsoft tech support person exhausted all possibilities as far as trying to open the files. As far as I was concerned it could have been the viewing software that was the cause of the problem. I was on the phone for too long, talking to somebody that had a barely understandable foreign accent. I was ready to give up long before the phone conversation was over. Is there a way to open corrupted files? I don't understand your reference, "The answer is in the envelope". Jimmy.

Collapse -
Re: About the original problem and the fix ...
by Cetin Denislam / July 14, 2004 2:44 AM PDT

Jimmy, the tech man gave you the shift + del solution in order to get rid of those corrupted files. You were lucky that you had them on compact flash so, you recovered them. And yes, maybe the software view application was the culprit, so be careful in the future.

My point was that if the tech was good enough, he should've solved the original problem. However, I can tell you that renaming files with illegal characters is not a trivial solving. If you can't do it in Explorer, a ren under a command prompt is the next step. However, even with this method and using some wildcards characters it's possible that the ren command to fail. In this latter case I was curious if he had some solution. And yes, there are some.

Anyway, "All's well that ends well". Thanks for describing your impression about the discussion with that tech guy.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by rogleale / July 13, 2004 7:01 PM PDT

Hi Jimmy,
This is a fairly frequent problem. Sometimes Windows, for an unknown reason, decides that you don't own the problem file, refuses access, and may say that the file is 0 bytes. I have thousands of picture files on my machine and have this problem myself, once fixed it won't come back on the same files but may occur on others.
The solution is not in the envelope, it is in Microsoft KB article 308421 if you get stuck again.

Roger

Collapse -
file permissions messed up
by Lou Smith / December 11, 2009 5:14 AM PST

I've had a similar problem with Windows XP Pro: since I never found a solution and this is the closest internet post anywhere to the problem, I thought I'd post the work-around that I've discovered...

Random (to me anyway) mp3, .mpg, .rar, .jpg files in multiple directories have suddenly become unable to be viewed, played, renamed or deleted. With mp3 files they had 0 bytes and could not be played, with mpg they had no video dimensions. With jpg they cannot "be previewed" by the windows picture viewer or accessed by ms paint, and none can be renamed or moved (yes, while logged in as administrator).
When I try to move them I get an error message 'access denied, make sure the directory is not full or write-protected'. Now being full or write protected is a message is applies to a TARGET directory, but in this case it's the source that is problematic - (Can I comment on the typical uselessness of windows error messages that no-one at microsoft knows the meaning of?)
Now, I recently noticed (don't know if this happened to other files that I had to fix) that while the specific files are not read only, the directory containing these messed up files will show mixed contents with read only files attributes, and when I try to change them the contents and sub-folders I get access denied.
I took a look at the MS 308421 article but that didn't work for me. The only solution I've found so far is to rip them forcefully off the drive and then copy them back (rename, get the write protect error, trigger the Unlocker Assistant, force move to a usb drive, then just copy it back) - voila! everything is fine, 100% success with a couple hundred files (if only Unlocker could do batch commands!). My mp3 files suddenly have size and can be played, renamed, etc. My pictures and .rar files can be accessed, viewed, etc. While Unlocker doesn't find a "locking handle", it can take control of the file with brute force, which suggests to me that some process has locked the file from being accessed, even by explorer (hence attributes skewed), but why random files in random directories?
Anyway, if you run in to this problem and don't happen to have the files already saved somewhere else (go microsoft tech support!), the method I've been using may help you reset whatever the problem is in XP.

Collapse -
one addendum...
by Lou Smith / December 11, 2009 5:38 AM PST

...Sorry, I mis-spoke on one item - while I can't move, display, run or rename these random bunches of locked files, I actually CAN delete them without a problem. And that just makes it weirder.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.