Windows 7

Question

Can't relocate public folders to external drive - help?

by porthome / March 26, 2013 7:52 AM PDT

I am new to Windows 7, but I think I understand the concept of the virtual libraries. I want to put all my data folders on a separate hard drive, and I want to make some of them public, so I can access from other systems on my home network. I have read up on how to open the properties icon and specify a location. Except when I do this, there is only a window, with the "c:\User\public" path in it, but it can't be edited. There is no "Move" button in the panel, either, as described in numerous items I've googled on the subject. What am I doing wrong?

Maybe I need a pointer to a GOOD writeup on how to manage my data as if I was still in XP?

OS is Win7 Pro.

Thanks for any help

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't relocate public folders to external drive - help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't relocate public folders to external drive - help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Can't relocate public folders to external drive - help?
by porthome / March 27, 2013 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: TRUE!!!

Thanks for trying.

The referenced thread may help, but I now suspect I may have a different problem. I have set up my external drive with shares on the files I want to access from other computers. When I look into the network from another computer, I see the shares just fine (and also the so-called 'public' folders) but when I try to access one, I get a message that I am not authorized to open - not even an offer to sign on and give a password (which I haven't set up anyway). I had no problem with opening shares, public folders, and mapped drives on the same external drives on my old XP system, but on W7 I can't seem to do it. I must be missing something about how these redirected folders work, and it sure would be nice to work with the 'real' files like I used to.

Collapse -
Well that's deep.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 6:15 AM PDT

As you found out, you can't change the public folder location. But you can redirect where the folder is underneath.

BUT it appears you want to share these via the Windows machine and this seems very odd if you have a network drive already. That is, why would I involve a Windows machine when I have the network drive already?

Involving the Windows machine has us talking about accounts.
Bob

Collapse -
Relocation, etc.
by porthome / March 31, 2013 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Well that's deep.

I would be very happy just to share the folders on the drive directly. (Also, I called the drive 'external' when I really meant 'additional' - it is drive E: on the internal SATA channel). I have applied shares on the root of Drive E:, on several of the folders themselves, and even on a file or two, just to see what would happen. The system seems to share them properly, rolls through setting permissions, etc. Then, from any other computer in the workgroup, the shares show up just fine, but Windows 7 stubbornly refuses to open them. The message is "<\\computer name\folder name> is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource......access is denied." No offer to enter a user name/password, or anything else. Just plain 'denied'. I had no problem like this with the same setup on an older WinXP3 desktop so I am really baffled.
My adventure with libraries and public libraries was an alternate attempt to make my E: drive available to the workgroup. I found that, once again, adding various folders to a library just created a shortcut which would not open in W7 Explorer. The message is "<path> is not accessible ... access is denied". Also, the system will not allow me to place my folders into a Public directory, except for, oddly enough, one called simply "Music".
I am loath to go further and try to set up a Homegroup, since I see there are major complications if other machines on the network are Vista or XP.
This is quite frustrating, so any other advice would be helpful. I must be missing some fundamental point.
Thanks in advance for your help so far.

Collapse -
Be aware
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2013 8:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Relocation, etc.

That the discussion about accounts and such will be a repeat of prior discussions. The error as I see it now is the typical new networker that is just learning accounts and permissions. I'm beginning to think that many should just enable the guest account and not learn more?
Bob

Collapse -
I do not understand this at all.
by porthome / March 31, 2013 9:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Be aware

What worked for me under win XP no longer does. Your remark does not enlighten

Collapse -
Again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 12:32 AM PDT

It sounds like accounts and permission issues and not what you lead with at the top post.

Your reply tells me that you may be used to the old system and not this one.

Such is too far off the original topic and mixes the subject of sharing a folder versus folder redirection. Each is a discussion on its own.
Bob

Collapse -
OK I see your point.
by porthome / April 1, 2013 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Again.

I will try to find a another thread to start again

Collapse -
Many Need To Perform These Steps
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 6:36 AM PDT

Here's a link with a registry edit which fixes your sharing issue. (It probably won't cure the "Public Folders" problem as they're designed to stay where there are.) Although the overall discussion is regarding Windows XP, it works for Windows 7 too, as indicated by the last poster in the thread, who stated that you will need to create the new Dword value as shown in option 4..

http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6122_102-3230783.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks !
by porthome / March 31, 2013 4:01 AM PDT

This did not solve my initial problem, but led me to realize I had a related one, and this pointer fixed it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.