Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Can't Receive Emails in Windows Live

by turquoisewave / June 27, 2013 10:26 AM PDT

I can send emails to others, however I cannot receive emails from anyone. I tried sending an email to a friend and it went through to her account but when someone sends me an email nothing comes through. Why am I not able to receive emails?

I am using the upgraded Windows Live Outlook.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Receive Emails in Windows Live
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Receive Emails in Windows Live
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
There's Windows Live MAIL & there's OUTLOOK...
by wpgwpg / June 27, 2013 10:34 AM PDT

...but there's no Windows Live Outlook, so find out what you have and post back here. Also report who your service is with.

Collapse -
Outlook Can't Receive
by turquoisewave / June 27, 2013 10:37 AM PDT

Hi, to clarify I am using Outlook.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks very much!

Collapse -
I'm guessing this is that new web site.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2013 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Outlook Can't Receive

There's so little to configure so my bet is Microsoft is having issues again.

Web based email is like that.

Collapse -
(NT) or Office Outlook?
by wpgwpg / June 27, 2013 10:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Outlook Can't Receive
Collapse -
(NT) It's (the former Hotmail)
by turquoisewave / June 27, 2013 10:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
Then test this on gmail or yahoo email.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2013 10:55 AM PDT

There are other choices and MSFT's handling of acquiring Hotmail and the years after that are interesting to some. But for me, I can't use their offering.

Collapse -
I have a few accounts with outlook however,
by turquoisewave / June 27, 2013 11:10 AM PDT

one particular account is unable to receive emails so I'm guessing its a setting that was accidentally changed. All the other email addresses at can receive like usual.

Most peculiar issue.

Collapse -
Not at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2013 11:28 AM PDT is web based so there is so few ways to break it that if it fails, well, it's usually not your fault.

But there's a clue in your last post. "I have a few accounts with"

Now why that is a clue is that Microsoft seems to be on the lookout for such because spammers may try to get more than the usual emails out by using multiple accounts. So you may have sprung an anti-spam tripwire.

Again, only Microsoft can reset that.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.