Windows 7 forum

Question

Can't read DVD during Windows Installation

by Wei725 / July 12, 2013 10:51 AM PDT

I try to upgrade my laptop OS from Windows Vista (32 bit) to Windows 7 (64 bit). The hardware is 64 bit capable. After booted from GD/DVD, I get the following error messages:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have checked the DVD drive and it works properly on reading and writing data.

Anything I can do to resolve this problem?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't read DVD during Windows Installation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't read DVD during Windows Installation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I own a laptop like that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2013 10:59 AM PDT

It's some Acer that came with Vista and on the surface it looks ready for Windows 7 64 bit but no way, no how. There's an unresolved bios issue and it will never run Windows 7 32 or 64 bit.

Just a tip. To save time and posts, always add the make and model.
Bob

Collapse -
Make & Model
by Wei725 / July 12, 2013 12:59 PM PDT

It is a Dell Inspiron 1521. I didn't think the problem was related with make and model of my laptop.

Collapse -
It can.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2013 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Make & Model

I supplied an example so we would know there are such out there.

Given the age I'd check the BIOS to be at least A06 and then try a new DVD drive or if you have it, some USB DVDRW drive. At about 2 years I no longer futz but slip in a new optical. Your new techs tend to futz and lose too much time.

And in parting, let's hope the Windows 7 DVD is a factory silver model.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. No Windows 7 drivers?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2013 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: It can.
Collapse -
Need to use another media for the installation.
by Wei725 / July 15, 2013 3:30 AM PDT

I have learned that it is caused by some sort of incompatible problem between the DVD drive and the installation DVD. I need to use a UBS and an external HD for the task.

Collapse -
Can I install it from another PC?
by Wei725 / July 15, 2013 3:36 AM PDT

With the information, I am wondering whether I can install the OS from another PC with a DVD drive or not. If yes, that will save me a lot of troubles.

Collapse -
That has been discussed before and the news is grim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2013 3:45 AM PDT

I see there are many hurdles here and you seem to want to try it anyway. The discussion about installing Windows from another PC over a network is well discussed and in my opinion a dead end for most folk.

I'd try some USB DVDRW but given there are no drivers for this machine for 7 then you know you are going to have troubles.
Bob

Collapse -
Only one year apart
by Wei725 / July 15, 2013 9:20 AM PDT

I bought the laptop in 2008 and Windows 7 was released in 2009. I don't know why the optical drive doesn't work for the installation DVD for only one year apart.

Collapse -
Well that's a deep question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2013 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Only one year apart

Not only do you see no drivers for Windows 7 you are battling an old optical drive. At the shop if an optical drive gives me the slightest trouble I try the lens cleaner ONE TIME and if it is still trouble I slip in a new drive. If the client does not want it fixed but we are to install an OS we'll use the USB DVDRW instead and put a note on the ticket the drive is suspected bad.

But what about those drivers? There was an yelp from users about a certain graphics chip (Intel?) that was never to have Windows 7 support. Yes it can do 640x480 but imagine the owner that worked at getting 7 installed then could not budge the display past 16 colors for lack of a driver.

You've seen many signs this is unlikely to turn out well but this is how most techs learn these lessons. It's one that I don't think can be taught.
Bob

Collapse -
windows 7 upgrade advisor
by Wei725 / July 15, 2013 2:32 PM PDT

I have run the windows 7 upgrade advisor. The result was fine. I should run into too many problem in the process.

Collapse -
So you are repeating the prior lesson.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2013 12:55 AM PDT

The internet is full of folk that ran that and later discovered the graphics or another driver issue.

Hope you got past the DVD issue by now.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.