Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Can't Print to Shared Printer

by concordal / June 22, 2009 2:44 AM PDT

Yes, another user that can't print wirelessly!

My Canon MP530 is connected via USB to a desktop PC running XP Pro. The printer is set to share, which is confirmed by Network Magic.

My laptop, also XP Pro, connects wirelessly to a 2Wire modem. The Canon printer is shown as shared on the Laptop. The Network Magic troubleshooter reports that "This printer is available for printing from this computer."

Here's what happens when I try to print from WordPad: I get the Print dialog box showing the Canon MP530. But when I click Print, nothing happens. Same with Print Preview in WordPad.

Notepad isn't much better. In that case I get "The handle is invalid."

A test print using the Printers and Faxes folder yields "Test page failed to print."

The Printer Properties PORTS tab shows Canon MP530 on Port USB001, described as "Virtual printer port for USB." If I click on Configure Port, I get "An error occurred during port configuration. The operation is not supported."

Here are some of the things that I have already tried:

- Deleting and re-entering the share doesn't help.

- Windows Firewall off on both machines - no difference

- Anti-Virus off on both machines - no difference

Any suggestions appreciated!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Print to Shared Printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Print to Shared Printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
TEST
by philbernie / June 22, 2009 3:14 AM PDT

I'm assuming that you can print from the desktop. Are the computers in the same workgroup? File & Print Sharing added to both the computers?

Collapse -
queue
by philbernie / June 22, 2009 3:17 AM PDT

Also check to see how many documents are in queue on the desktop computer.

Collapse -
Can't Print on Shared Printer
by concordal / June 22, 2009 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: queue

Many thanks for the reponses, Queue and Test.

Yes I can print form the desktop.

Both machines are in the same workgroup. Indeed, I can access shared folders without any problem.

Yes, Fle and Print sharing was added on both computers.

There are 0 documents in the queue on the desktop computer.

Collapse -
add the printer again
by philbernie / June 22, 2009 9:27 AM PDT

Try adding the network printer again from the laptop's control panel, printer. See if it prints out a test page.

Collapse -
Re: Add the Printer Again
by concordal / June 23, 2009 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: add the printer again

philbernie, many thanks for the suggestions.

The article at http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/test-page-failed-to-print/170571.html gave real hope because the situation described there matches mine: My Desktop *is* running XP SP2 and my laptop *is* running XP SP3.

So as suggested in the reference: I deleted the drivers on both machines, downloaded the latest driver from Canon and re-installed on the Desktop. Then I set up the share. Still doesn't print. Sigh.

One User in the reference suggested that it could be "a user permission problem." In my case I'm the admin on both desktop and laptop, so presumably this would eliminate that problem. If not I confess that I don't know how to change the permissions on a printer.

You also suggested "Try adding the network printer again from the laptop's control panel, printer." I went to Control Panel/Printers and Faxes and picked "Add a Printer." Unfortunately I got the dreaded "Test page failed to print."

On the bright side I can display the ink cartridge levels on the printer, so the laptop *is* talking to the printer ("bidirectional support"). It's talking, but just not printing!

Any other ideas appreciated.

Collapse -
2wire?
by philbernie / June 23, 2009 1:31 PM PDT

I seem to read problems with 2wire as a modem/router. Is that a combinations of modem/router? Get a hold of a router someplace other than 3Wire. It does NOT have to be connected to a modem on the WAN side. Take down software firewall and antivirus like you've done before. See if the different router works.

Collapse -
Resolved ...
by concordal / June 24, 2009 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: 2wire?

Resolved!

ALthough both PCs are running XP Pro, I used a technique that Vista folks have been using. It's counterintuitive, but of course this is Windows.

1. On the laptop, select: Control Panel/ Printers /Add Printer

2. Choose Add Local Printer. (Yes Local, NOT Network.) Uncheck the box marked "Automatically detect my PnP printer. Click Next

3. Select Create a New Port and leave the default in the drop down selection as Local Port. Click Next

4. Windows displays a small dialogue box asking a port name. Key in

\\Host name\printer name

Host name - is the name of the desktop eg User-judf5564 or Home etc.
Printer Name - is MP530 or OffcPrnt, etc.

Click OK

5. Windows will show a list of printer vendors and models. The list looks just like the Windows Add Hardware Dialog. Select your printer manufacturer and printer model from the list. My particular model wasn't shown so I clicked on Windows Update. After an interminable wait the list of models was updated. I chose the closest match and will update the driver later.

6. When offered, indicate that you want a test print.

Hopefully this will help someone else so they don't have to go through all the iterations that I tried.

Many thanks to Test, Queue and Philbernie.

Collapse -
Alright!
by philbernie / June 24, 2009 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Resolved ...

You were persistent and it turned out well for you. Pat yourself on the back Happy

Collapse -
Not able to print XP Pro-to- XP Pro shared printer (wireless
by nalcorn / August 3, 2009 10:45 AM PDT

Just wanted to say thank you for posting this fix. I have been running in circles for the exact same problem. Good T/S. Keep it up. I followed the directions to a "T" and it worked out perfect. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Solution works for me too
by s47896 / November 1, 2009 3:48 PM PST

Thank you for resolving this, Concordal et al. Hours of trying to get my Windows 7 64 bit laptop to print to an ancient XP Pro shared HP Laserjet printer on wired network at work, and then came across these concise instructions. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Same problem using Windows 7 - different outcome.
by Crazyfishinguy / March 15, 2010 12:00 PM PDT

Hi, I have been experiencing the same problem of printing from my Laptop over a wireless network to a HP LaserJet 1020 which is attached to my Desktop computer. The main difference is that in my case, both computers have been upgraded to Windows 7. I tried the solution with a couple of twists from their XP to my Windows 7. When I tried to print, I can see the document via the 'See Whats Printing' go to the Printer, it Spools then Prints, but doesn't.
Meanwhile on the Desktop computer in the 'See Whats Printing' box for the attached LaserJet, the Document Name shows as 'Remote Downlevel Document' Status - 'Printing' but again nothing prints. This has caused a great deal of frustration. I have been searching for answers for days. Any help would be appreciated.

Collapse -
Cannot print to shared printer
by sneakier / April 9, 2010 7:48 AM PDT

I share 2 printers on my desktop. I was able to print to both from my laptop, but recently lost the laser printer. I followed your instructions and successfully restored the lost printer. Thanks.

Collapse -
Windows 7 Printer Issue
by alewis93 / November 13, 2010 4:48 AM PST

Hi Fishing guy,

I really hope you are still around...I am having this exact same problem. Using two systems (1) 64bit windows 7 desktop (sharing the printer) and (1) laptop 32bit windows 7. Exact same printer as you and exact same issues! Did you find a fix? It is driving me crazy and I just cannot let it beat me. I was able to share the printer fine before I updgraded my laptop to from vista to win 7. PLEASE help! Your post is the fis=rst I have seen with my exact same issue. Most are from 7 to XP not 7 to 7.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Collapse -
XP cannot print to an HP printer connected to Windows 7
by BerkeleyTrojan / July 9, 2010 6:44 AM PDT

I had exactly the same problem. I tried the suggested solution and it got better --- no more error message. However the documents sit in the queue and nothing gets printed.

The XP desktop is connected to the home network wirelessly.

Is this problem more related to the wireless connection? Or is it more related to the fact that I am having an XP and Windows 7 combination?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Printing from a Windows 7 (64-bit) to a shared printer on XP
by ChinaExpress / August 21, 2010 8:23 AM PDT

YES! I tried this approach, and it works just as described!

I have Windows 7 (64 bit), and want to connect to
a shared HP LaserJet P2015d on a Windows XP (32 bit),
and had a hard time even to talk to the right people in HP.

I am not sure the approach described here will work, but I tried
anyway. It works!

Thanks!

ChineseDubbed

Collapse -
Thank you!
by msm2011 / March 21, 2011 1:32 PM PDT

Thanks so much- we spent so much time trying to get our printers on a network and failed. This information was exactly what we needed!

Collapse -
Printing from a Windows 7 (64-bit) to a shared printer on XP
by jrbarn / April 8, 2011 6:41 AM PDT

A really big bump to the thanks for this post.

Collapse -
THANKS!!
by dpc78 / September 7, 2011 12:24 AM PDT

This issue has been bugging me for over a year! I have 2 desktops that are in the same room, but on opposite ends. I got the file sharing to work so I could always put something in shared documents and print from the pc connected to the printer, but I always wondered why I couldn't get both computers to print. Now if I can just figure out this Google Cloud stuff...

Collapse -
Thank you
by jillupm / November 5, 2012 9:20 PM PST

Thank you posting this fix. I got a new desktop computer and couldn't get my laptop to print using the printer attached to it. It was the same printer that I had no program using before. This worked. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Can't print to network printer
by GuruXavier / February 12, 2015 7:01 AM PST

Thanks for this fix. Going to try it now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.