Windows Legacy OS forum

Can't Print (IE8/Chrome) .DLL File

by / March 15, 2013 6:19 AM PDT

When I try to print an article (via printer or print to a file using PDF software) off Tech Republic either by using IE8 or Chrome it will not print and provide two separate errors: 1.) that that page is being recovered, closes and then reopens under the same page & 2.) contains a dialog box the IE needs to close and send a reoprt in which an extension of a .DLL file is missing. Most topics that I've seen relate to missing the file (look in my recycle bin; which nothing is in there) or going into somesort of recovery. Is this something that a specific code can be used to repair this type of errors? Two errors today were that of missing items ntdll.dll and mshtml.dll. Would Tech Republic have any type or 'source code' to make a repair?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Print (IE8/Chrome) .DLL File
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Print (IE8/Chrome) .DLL File
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: dll
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 15, 2013 6:37 AM PDT

That's strange, that Chrome gives an error stating that IE needs to close. Are you sure about that part of your story? Or maybe Chrome gives another error message?

With me (and I don't have Chrome) both ntdll.dll and mshtml.dll are in the c:\windows\system32 folder. Aren't they with you? Can you check? If they really are missing, just reinstall IE8 from

Here also, this are files typically related to IE, so it's unlikely they are used by Chrome.
These aren't TechRepublic files, but Microsoft-files, so TechRepublic certainly can't do the repair. Only you can. Or Microsoft can, if you pay them for it.

Two other questions:
1. Can you print any other page on any other site (only this specific article gives an error)? Or does any webpage you try to print gives this error?
2. If (but only if) it's this specific article that gives an error, can you give an exact link to it, so that somebody here can see what happens if he prints it. If all pages give this error, it's just an issue with your PC and trying here makes no sense.

Collapse -
.DLL Error Response
by / March 17, 2013 11:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: dll

Thanks for your responses. The error message is is IE8 and not Chrome; but in general, that neither one won't allow me to print in either Chrome or IE8 from the link(s) that Tech Repulic have (as I mentioned even to print to a PDF version). The page will ask to be closed or will automatically close and pop-up a temporary dialog box near the tab itslef that the page is being recovered and launch the same page as originally as I opened it from the email.

In a sense, somewhat funny about the System 32 folder that you had mentioned it because every time my computer starts, the entire folder for System 32 opens up on my desktop automatically. Not sure if that's a sign that something with that file is wrong or not (IT says that it's not hurting anything that it opens; one click and it can be closed). I will check my computer later and see what else is in there; but I'll try to install IE8 over again

I can print other pages, just the Tech Republic portion remains to not print and have these issues (so far). I'm going to try again shortly. I ran Advanced System Care right after I had posted this to see if the problem still exsists. Herre's the most recent link that I tried to print:

Just tried it again and still the errors are occurring.

Collapse -
Reinstalled IE8; ntdll.dll/mshtml.dll; in system 32 file
by / March 18, 2013 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: dll

I went in and installed IE8 again, and the ntdll.dll/mshtml.dll are in the System 32 file; still receiving errors. I'm not sure what else to do, if they need to open with a specific program or not, but per Tech Republic's site still not able to print off their website (per those pages). Thanks for all of the suggestions so far though...

Collapse -
Problems with IE
by samblake1111 / March 21, 2013 5:54 AM PDT

It happened to me as well, I advise to reinstall it, but the older version that seems like a dll from the previous version.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.