Mac OS

Resolved Question

Can't print contacts in alphabetical order

by melselle / January 18, 2013 8:34 AM PST

I recently upgraded my iMac OS from 10.6.? to 10.8.2. Mail is 6.2. Contacts is 7.1. Most everything seems to be working OK. However, I noticed that I cannot print out my Mail contacts in alphabetical order. I have gone to Mail to Preferences to General and "Show first name before last name." Then I chose "Sort by Last Name." The names are then sorted alphabetically by last name. However, when I go to print, they seem to be sorted randomly when printed. Each time I print, they are in the same incorrect arrangement. This occurs on either of my 2 printers.

Am I missing some printing option? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

melselle has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't print contacts in alphabetical order
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't print contacts in alphabetical order
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by melselle

Collapse -
Printing Contacts in Alphabetical Order
by centurion48 / January 18, 2013 11:06 AM PST

The only way I know how to do this is through iCloud, which is where my contacts are stored.
If you are using iCloud this is probably the same for you.
This is how:
1. Open Contacts in iCloud
2. Select All Contacts or the group you want to print
3. Click on the gear wheel in the footer of the right-hand pane and 'Select All' from the drop down menu
4. Cmd-P to Print (or Review PDF in Preview just to make sure it is in alpha order)

regards,
Darryl

Collapse -
Darryl
by melselle / January 21, 2013 7:18 AM PST

Your suggestion works. It just doesn't include the Notes. I can live with that for now. Thanks.

Collapse -
Answer
When I first read your post, I thought, No Way.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 18, 2013 10:22 PM PST

So I tried it and, Way!

I played around for a while and found that if you select all your contacts and hit the print button, choose labels, select a label size, (I used avery 5161) you will find that all the contacts are in alphabetical order.

Seems strange that you should have to do anything like that, but it is a workable workaround

Hope that helps

P

Collapse -
Print Labels
by melselle / January 21, 2013 9:27 AM PST

Thanks. I can use this suggestion, too.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.