Computer Help forum

General discussion

can't open system volume information folder,access denied

by id_866 / July 26, 2008 12:28 AM PDT

i am having windows xp service pack3,intel dual core 1.8 ghz processor,1 gb ram,i am having kaspersky internet security,but i can't open system volume information folder in any partition,i am afraid of it may have virus,whenever i am trying to open it says access denied,how to clean it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't open system volume information folder,access denied
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't open system volume information folder,access denied
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The common way is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2008 1:04 AM PDT

To turn off system restore and then turn it back on. All the relevant files in there will be removed and fresh ones made.

Collapse -
To Be Able To Manually View System Volume Information
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 26, 2008 1:56 AM PDT'll need to change the Security permissions on the folder. (The "Access Denied" message is "normal" because the default setting is to lock out all users.) See the link below for instructions on how to change those security settings.:

On the other hand, if Kaspersky is detecting malware in one of those folders, yep, as Bob said, simply turn off System Restore and those restore volumes will be gone along with the malware that resides in them.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
i took ownership
by id_866 / July 28, 2008 1:39 AM PDT

i took ownership of that foler and gave rights to that folder,it's giving access denied after sometime,this is the problem,i have scanned with kaspersky antivirus,it not detected any virus in that folder,but i am afraid that it may contain virus.what's the solution?

Collapse -
For you there may be no solution.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2008 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: i took ownership

Fear is something that we can't treat here.

Collapse -
And You Followed The Last Instructions In Safe Mode??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 28, 2008 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: i took ownership

The link I provided above WILL allow you to access those volumes from Safe Mode..

And as mentioned earlier, simply turn off System Restore and no virus will reside in those folders because they will be gone..

Please follow the instructions given..

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Here is the full answer: (4 lamers w/ 1/2 brain)
by bruceaa / August 9, 2009 6:29 AM PDT

1. You must uncheck "Simple File Sharing" under the Tools Menu in the primary (and any secondary) drives. Then close the Explorer or other directory windows. Don't forget to hit the "Apply" and "OK" buttons.

2. This results in adding the "Security" tab (the 'classic' interface) back to all the directories which have a properties page.

3. Re-open (right-click on My Computer) the full root directory - typically your C: drive. Go down to System Volume Information and right click with the mouse. Open he Security tab. You will now need to add two users: your name as you use when you logon to Windows, and "Administrators". Add each on a new line. Then, click the tab for "Permissions" and make sure you check "Full Control". Next, click "Apply" and "OK" and exit to root directory (C: view). You should see a hand holding a drive icon. If you do, you can now view and manipulate SVI. The above applies to all hidden files.

4. If desired, go back to Tools menu and recheck simple file sharing.

Note: Turning "on" or "off file restore through Control Panel or right-click on My Computer is irrevelant. Until you add your name or the Administrators name, the other commands are secondary and will change nothing!!! The Security tab settings are a primary call to the permissions in the registry. Even using SubinACL or Securedit or trying to access through MS-DOS as an Administrator on Safe Mode using the ATTRIB command set will be unable to bypass this fundamental security requirement.

More BTW: This is what cyper sleuths and cops do not want you to know. When you turn off the System Restore by using the Security tab, you eliminate 98% of the vital "I can track everything you downloaded" artifacts. The other 2% is the part that is eliminated by Evidence Eliminator, CCleaner, etc. If you do not follow the aboe and wipe/clean your RP (Restore Points) regularly, Encase and other forensic software can easily see where you went and what you downloaded in plain text.

Collapse -
by PRAnJALHALOI / April 11, 2012 10:21 PM PDT

Great explaination. Its the working one.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.