Computer Help

Question

Can't open some files and folders on portable hard drive.

by JAR829 / December 2, 2012 10:24 PM PST

When I try opening a text document and a couple of folders with documents and photos I get the message "The item 'clvois.scr' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly."
Others appear as ".ink" files and my computes won't open those either.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't open some files and folders on portable hard drive.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't open some files and folders on portable hard drive.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you assocate those files with the app you want?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 12:44 AM PST

Sorry but file association is considered a basic Windows setup or skill. I'll ask in case you forgot to tell us about what app you associated the file with.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem
by JAR829 / December 3, 2012 12:54 AM PST

The problem I'm having is with a document that used to be .txt and two folders that won't open at all. When I look that their properties it says they're now shortcuts with the target "clvois,scr", which won't open. Another two folders won't open because they're now "ink" files and my computer says it can't run that app.

I've tried running several malware and virus programs and checking the hard drive with the windows tools, but no luck and nothing detected.

The original problem I had was that the hard drive itself wouldn't open until I ran chkdsk if that means anything.

Collapse -
"used to be .txt"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: Problem

If it's not a text file (.txt) then nothing is wrong. This is expected behavior. Same for shortcuts.

Shortcuts on externals are troublesome. I suggest you look at where this shortcut lead to and go direct instead of using the shortcut.

-> It's a shame that you didn't tell about the original problem up front. My answer may be off a little but associations, shortcuts and such are basic windows settings and skill. HOWEVER it now looks like the drive suffered some corruption which is typical for many externals.

CHKDSK is OK but if you want your files to stay around you keep copies somewhere else.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem
by JAR829 / December 3, 2012 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: "used to be .txt"

The issue is that is should be a text file, not a shortcut, and there's nothing on the drive that matches the shortcut. The folders that won't open contain text documents and shouldn't be a shortcut either. It looks like the items that should be there were just replaced or changed and I need a way to get back to them.

Collapse -
This may be where you learn about backup copies.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: Problem

DO NOT WRITE TO THAT DRIVE. Look around with the titles listed in the CNET STORAGE FORUM STICKY.

The more you write to said drive, the chances are you overwrite the files you want o recover.

-> By now you are painfully aware why folk carry on so much about a backup copy.
Bob

Collapse -
by JAR829 / December 3, 2012 2:24 AM PST

Unfortunately, this is the back up.

Collapse -
But that's GOOD NEWS!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: ..

The backup means what's on the main machine (the original) is still good and you can get that there and re-sync this up.
Bob

Collapse -
If only.
by JAR829 / December 3, 2012 2:55 AM PST
In reply to: But that's GOOD NEWS!

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Unless the original machine was broken in Afghanistan.

Collapse -
Then it was not a backup but the last copy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 2:59 AM PST
In reply to: If only.

The original machine may still have it on its HDD. We pull that drive and put it in some USB case or cable and get the files out.
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification Request
CROSS POSTED.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 3:02 AM PST

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Lesson learned about backup
by wpgwpg / December 3, 2012 2:27 AM PST

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus todo backup free which you can download from
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Collapse -
One backup copy is not "backup".
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 2:31 AM PST

To stay in a state of backup I need no less than 3 copies. Original and 2 copies. When one fails I am still backed up.

For stuff I can't lose, that number increases to more copies on more devices, cloud, sticks and more.
Bob

Collapse -
I have a similar backup system
by wpgwpg / December 3, 2012 3:26 AM PST

I keep my critical data on my main desktop's hard drive. Then I have a full system backup weekly with incremental backups every 20 min. I also have monthly full system backups going back 6 mos. Every 6 mos. I'll copy my critical data to an 8 GB flash drive which I keep locked in my car. The car is outside the house and it has a security system. If somebody stole my car and set my house on fire, I guess I'd lose my data, but I have a pretty good comfort level about the unlikely nature of that. Grin

Collapse -
My last hope when that happens is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 3:31 AM PST

I'm using DropBox to keep a few projects that I can't lose. If you look at how dropbox works, it syncs with each PC I use so the copies self sync and makes the files "Hard To Kill".

I haven't seen that movie in some time but maybe it's time to fish it out.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.