Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can't open programs or download anything

by roofurdgirl / November 10, 2010 4:18 AM PST

Help! I have Windows 7. I can't open any program except for Internet Explorer (64-bit). I can open a limited number of things on control panel. I've run both the AVG and Kaspersky Rescue discs with nothing found on both. I am unable to download any new anti-malware/virus programs. My AVG is turned off and I can't get it to turn on. Also programs like Adobe flash player is turned off/disabled. What can I do? I'm decent with a PC but not real tech savy so please give me some info in lay terms if possible. Thank you very much!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't open programs or download anything
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't open programs or download anything
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by PKsteven / November 10, 2010 9:56 AM PST

of suggestions..and questions...

Could you post some of your system specs if possible? Ram, make of PC, etc...?

When did this begin?

Did you download or install anything new recently that may have caused this?

Do you have something like "Windows Defender" blocking things from running? Look in your task bar or the arrow expander in the task bar, show hidden icons, see if security center flag is there, check Defender to see if it's blocking items.

Also, if you don't know or it worked fine recently, a restoring from a good known restore point may work.

You have done scans it seems with some security tools and found nothing, did you try and boot into safe mode and see if anything will run?

It almost sounds like someone ran msconfig and set it to selective startup, or you have some security blocking your apps.

Collapse -
by roofurdgirl / November 12, 2010 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: Couple..

Its been going on for a few days. I've tried System Restore a few times and it has failed. The extra programs that I have are ZoneAlarm, Ad-Aware, and Hijack This. And of course I can't run any of them much less remove them from my programs. I don't use Windows Defender. I did try Safe MOde and the same thing happens. It is an EMachine Specs areAMD Processor Thlon 2850e 1.80Ghz, RAM-2.00 GB, System Type: 64-bit OS. I am really stumpewd on this. I thought for sure that it was a virus but after running both AVG and Kaspersky Rescue discs, I have no clue what else I could do. I don't know of any other scanning programs for other issues that I can burn and use in boot. Thank you so much for your help. I hope you have more ideas for me to try.

Collapse -
A possibility...
by PKsteven / November 12, 2010 4:55 AM PST some type of malware that is not being detected or your registry for some reason or another is botched. Let's try a few things first.

Download Avira rescue disk...

I, since July, have run into two Antivirus2010 infections that were undetectable by anything I threw at it BUT it would still pop up the AV window. It disabled nearly everything from running, even renaming AV setups did not work in this case as it blocked any executable. So aside from the pop up, it's nearly identical to what you describe and I'm not ruling it out yet and there are infections that remain hidden.

I would think if not an infection, or even if it is, your system is somehow corrupt and you are likely looking at a fresh install which for a number of reasons would be the best course of action.

Do you have means, if it comes to this, to back up your information?

Collapse -
by roofurdgirl / November 15, 2010 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: A possibility...

My computer wouldn't run the Avira Rescue Disc. A friend told me to go to the Task Mamager and look at the .exe I did a search on each one and these are the ones that I'm not sure about: csrss.exe, explorer.exe, iexplore.exe, lsass.exe, services.exe, smss.exe, and spoolsvc.exe Do you know anything about these and if they are bad how can I get rid of them?

Collapse -
We don't run this disc, we boot it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2010 3:20 AM PST

"Boot from the Rescue CD"

I can't tell if you booted this CD.

Collapse -
by roofurdgirl / November 15, 2010 6:29 AM PST

Yeah I know and Avira wouldn't go at all. Instead it just went right into starting up. I'm thinking about trying Bit Defender but I'm getting tired of having to go to someone's house all the time and burning rescue discs. I'm at a loss on what to do. I thought for sure that AVG or Kaspersky would have taken care of the problem.

Collapse -
"taken care"...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2010 7:29 AM PST

Sorry but malware and such is not something we can count on any antivirus to defend or take care of our systems.

This is what I'm seeing today -> Folk are expecting more than what these protection softwares offer.

--> More to the point, it's up to us to be defensive and learn how to recover, backup, restore and repair. I'm finding folk that are unhappy with the current state of the average Windows PC.

Collapse -
Did you...
by PKsteven / November 15, 2010 1:21 PM PST the instructions? More to the point, you likely did NOT set your computer to boot from CD\DVD, that or you are not burning the .iso correctly. I use these more times in a month than I care to and have yet to run into this issue unless there is a hardware or settings issue. Double check your boot options.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.