Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Can't open or use Spybot or Adware

by Sammy_Jo / December 16, 2005 10:13 PM PST

I have many many trojans, keyloggers and just all kinds of spyware.. I have scanned my computer using various free programs.Which shows me what is in there lurking around.. My problem is I have downloaded Adware and Spybot Search and Destroy.. But neither one of them will open. When I click the icon to open it does nothing. So there fore I cannot get these parasites out of my computer. I do not know what to do. Both the versions I have are free.
I have XP Professional.
Can someone help me please!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't open or use Spybot or Adware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't open or use Spybot or Adware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could you please be more
by roddy32 / December 16, 2005 10:33 PM PST

Your statement "I have many many trojans, keyloggers and just all kinds of spyware".

What are the names of them??

Also this statement " I have scanned my computer using various free programs."

WHICH free programs? There are many of them that tell you that you have things wrong just to get you to buy their product.

Collapse -
Here are a few
by Sammy_Jo / December 17, 2005 2:07 AM PST

Oh I am sorry. I do not remember everything that I saw. I used Symantec and I had eula, keylogger 007, adware spyware, to many to remember. I also used trend micro that told me basically the same. And also I used Spywatch I think. But they all basically said the same. So I downloaded The Spybot search and Destroy. And also the Adware SE Personel.Neither will open.
I can try to scan again with one of them and then send what I have if necessary.

Collapse -
Without knowing
by roddy32 / December 17, 2005 3:15 AM PST
In reply to: Here are a few

what you have it is rather difficult to help you. Rescan with Symantec and also with TrendMicro's Housecall and let them delete whatever they find. If they can't fix something, then let us kow what it was that they couldn't fix. I never heard of Spywatch. As far as Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D, they won't install at all? Try downloading them again and choose "run" or "open" instead of save and see if they will install that way.

Collapse -
OK I will do as you ask
by Sammy_Jo / December 17, 2005 6:24 AM PST
In reply to: Without knowing

Thanks so much. I will do that. It may not have been Spywatch could have been another and I am thinking wrong.
On the Spybot and Adware. I have it downloaded just will not open when I click on it.

Give me a couple to get this done and I will write back then..
Thank You

Collapse -
OK, Good luck. I have to leave now
by roddy32 / December 17, 2005 6:32 AM PST

anyway. I will be back tomorrow morning.

Collapse -
Hi Sammy_Jo..
by Larry38 / December 17, 2005 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: Here are a few

You are using Ad-Aware SE? Not Adware, which is a Rogue program.

After doing what Roddy suggested, you may want to try ewido, which is great for Trojans.

Ewido Link

This is a pay program, but try it free for 14 days, if you don't want to pay for it , you get the free version. you just don't get auto update or real time protection. You can manual update every day and scan, also makes a backup. They don't ask for a credit card.
Let us know how it goes.

Collapse -
by Sammy_Jo / December 17, 2005 8:38 PM PST
In reply to: Hi Sammy_Jo..

I have just tried to run the scan again using Symantec but it gets shut down before I can get the Active X controls. This happens almost every time I try. I got them the first time thats how I found I had bugs but after that when I try I get shut down. Either the page disappears from the screen or it reboots.. I have dial up so maybe thats why these things can shut things down since it takes me awhile to get anything.I will try the others and see what happens..
Sammy Jo

Collapse -
Symantec would not download
by Sammy_Jo / December 17, 2005 8:38 PM PST
In reply to: Hi Sammy_Jo..

I have just tried to run the scan again using Symantec but it gets shut down before I can get the Active X controls. This happens almost every time I try. I got them the first time thats how I found I had bugs but after that when I try I get shut down. Either the page disappears from the screen or it reboots.. I have dial up so maybe thats why these things can shut things down since it takes me awhile to get anything.I will try the others and see what happens..
Sammy Jo

Collapse -
Sammy-Jo: Can You Access a Clean Computer (friends)?
by tobeach / December 17, 2005 3:16 PM PST

If you can, I would first try downloading McAfee Stinger there and put on a floppy disk (if both so equiped) or a USB Thumb/ drive (portable HD that fits in pocket like s pack of Juicy Fruit) even a cheap one of 128 MB would do. Even a CD.
One of your problems (I suspect) is the malware is preventing the sucessful install/running of potential removers.
Stinger is an exe you can run from floppy/usb port etc.
It doesn't actually install so can attack. It only covers 75 of the most common & current Virus/Trojans/Worms but several of what you have maybe subject to it. At Least, it'll be clean and usable. Please write down names & paths of what it finds/removes as may give hints for what else to suspect. It may even do enough that you can install others or do online scan. Be sure you are NOT connected to internet during Stinger removal process. Because of Keylogger, don't try internet banking, or anything with CCards/privacy issuues as it's recording everything you enter. If you think you've had it a while, I would warn bank etc by phone and watch accounts closely, changing PINs & passwords.
You might even to run it(Stiger) while in "SafeMode". Here:
Hope This Gives You a Good Head Start !! Happy

Collapse -
ok, some I don't understand.
by Sammy_Jo / December 17, 2005 7:43 PM PST

Yhanks alot, some of what you wrote for me to do the floppy disk I really don't know how to do. Dumb I guess not much knowledge about this stuff. I don't know the difference between the Adware SE and adware you speak of. The rogue version I mean..
I did run the Ewido it told me what I had but it did not get rid of it when I ran the free beta version I believe it was.
I have not put any information on here since I discovered I had bugs in here which was by accident.
I do agree one of them is preventing me from running the programs.
I am going to run the Symantec again and the housecall I will try the Ewido again and then see what I get.
I will get back by tomorrow it takes time because sometimes I have had trouble just writing these posts or trying to download anything to scan.
Watch for my mail please..
Sammy Jo

Collapse -
Please also post when you
by roddy32 / December 17, 2005 7:51 PM PST

come back exactly what the name of the malware that ewido could not get rid of is. Ewido is NOT a Beta, you have the trial version and it will stay free after 14 days but it should still be able to remove the malware for you. If it can not, if you give us the name of the malware, we might be able to help more. As far as Ad-Aware SE, make sure you have the program made by Lavasoft. Another suggestion is to try running your scans in safe mode. Directions for that are here.

Collapse -
This is all scary
by Sammy_Jo / December 17, 2005 8:44 PM PST

It took me several times just to get a post here. The page disappears.
Please read what I wrote about Symantec.
I guess I used the wrong thing on Ewido. It said trial using beta. I will try again

Collapse -
You did the online scan
by roddy32 / December 17, 2005 8:51 PM PST
In reply to: This is all scary

with ewido which IS a Beta. You want to download the program itself. Click ''run'' or ''open'' after clicking the download link at the bottom of this page.

Then try to follow these directions.

* Install ewido security suite
* When installing, under ''Additional Options'' uncheck ''Install background guard'' and ''Install scan via context menu''.
* Launch ewido, there should be an icon on your desktop double-click it.
* The program will now go to the main screen

You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.

* On the left hand side of the main screen click Update
* Then click on Start Update

The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
If you are having problems with the updater, you can use this link to manually update ewido.

Once the updates are installed do the following:
* Click on scanner
* Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
* While the scan is in progress you will be prompted to clean files, click OK
* When it asks if you want to clean the first file, put a check in the lower left corner of the box that says ''Perform action on all infections'' then choose clean and click OK.
* Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report
* Click Save report.
* Save the report .txt file to your desktop.

Now close ewido security suite.

Collapse -
ok I will do that
by Sammy_Jo / December 18, 2005 2:16 AM PST

I just read your post and I will try my best to folow your instructions

Collapse -
Report from Ewido
by Sammy_Jo / December 18, 2005 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: ok I will do that

Here is the report. However it did not list the keyloggers and a few others. What should I do to find them?

ewido security suite - Scan report
+ Created on: 1:52:56 PM, 12/18/2005
+ Report-Checksum: 62FAE7B4

+ Scan result:

C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@2o7[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.2o7 : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@ads.pointroll[2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Pointroll : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@advertising[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Advertising : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@atdmt[2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Atdmt : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@bfast[2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Bfast : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@burstnet[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Burstnet : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@casalemedia[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Casalemedia : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@centrport[2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Centrport : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@citi.bridgetrack[2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Bridgetrack : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@com[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Com : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@counter.hitslink[2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Hitslink : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@doubleclick[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Doubleclick : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@edge.ru4[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Ru4 : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@ehg-idg.hitbox[2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Hitbox : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@fastclick[2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Fastclick : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@hitbox[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Hitbox : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@media.fastclick[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Fastclick : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@mediaplex[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Mediaplex : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@microsoftwga.112.2o7[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.2o7 : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@questionmarket[2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Questionmarket : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@statcounter[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Statcounter : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@trafficmp[2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Trafficmp : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@tribalfusion[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Tribalfusion : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@www.burstbeacon[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Burstbeacon : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@www.myaffiliateprogram[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Myaffiliateprogram : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\mAre-E\Cookies\mare-e@z1.adserver[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Adserver : Cleaned with backup

::Report End

Collapse -
All it found was cookies
by roddy32 / December 18, 2005 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: Report from Ewido

which are not enough to cause you big problems. We are back to the beginning again trying to figure out WHO told you that you had keyloggers and other things. If you actually had something that bad I would think that ewido would have found more than it did. You didn't remember exactly what programs you used and said it MIGHT be something like Spywatch which I never heard of and probably is not trustworthy. Instead of guessing like we are doing I would suggest that you visit a HijackThis expert forum (NOT here please). Please follow the instructions on this link which will tell you where to obtain HJT, how to use it and where to post your log. Good luck.

Collapse -
I used Trend Micro
by Sammy_Jo / December 18, 2005 9:19 AM PST

I have read your reply. Thank You so much for all your help. I am the one that saw the keylogger 007 and another one ? and the trojans. Thats why I came here. I am still working on it the best I can without going to HJT because I did go there but it is complicated for me.
This is the results from Trend Micro.I do not understand any of it and don't know what to tell TM to do.

Detected grayware/spyware.

BHO_SE. 66864
BHO_SE. 74387

TRAK_SE. 67998

ADW_SE. 70550
ADW_SE. 75448

Collapse -
Sammy_Jo, I believe what Roddy was asking
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 18, 2005 1:31 PM PST
In reply to: I used Trend Micro

was which programs enlightened you to all the information about what ''you'' saw. He suggested HJT, as it will give you an accurate picture of what is on your computer.

You say it is too complicated for you. I understand you may be frustrated and confused. Why not post exactly what it is about this part of Roddy's instructions for HJT that you find complicated?

'It is important that you run HijackThis.exe in its own folder so the backup files that HijackThis creates will not be accidentally deleted.

Open 'My Computer', then double-click to open C:\ (or the drive letter that your Windows is installed on)
In the menu bar, click File-->New-->Folder.
That will create a folder named New Folder, which you can rename to ''HJT'' or ''HijackThis''. Now you have C:\HJT\ or C:\HijackThis\ folder. Put your HijackThis.exe there, and double click to run it.

Click 'Scan' button. Click 'Save log' button. Save the 'hijackthis.log' in your desktop. Copy and paste the content of 'hijackthis.log' and post the log file in any forums that offers HijackThis analysis.

Is it that you can't find My Computer? Is it that you don't know how to make a new folder or how to rename one? I am being quite serious and trying to help. Instead of trying a ''whole load of programs'', it may be in your best interest to try to follow the above directions, then post your results at one of the forums Roddy has suggested. (Not this forum - they do not analyze HJT logs)

In regard to Trend's results. Roddy has already suggested to scan with Trend and ''let it delete what it finds''. I would reread what he has written. http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=143610&messageID=1609539

If you're looking for an easy way out, you're not going to find it. While you may not think HJT is the easy way out.. in the end.. it just might be! With all the information given and not given within this thread, I personally feel it may be your only way. (IMHO ;))

Good luck..

Collapse -
Thanks for the help
by Sammy_Jo / December 18, 2005 7:31 PM PST

Thanks to all of you for all the help you have given to me. I admit that I am so clueless to these things but I am learning. I will use HJT and follow the instructions just given to me.
You guys have all been great and patient and I appreciate it all.
Thanks again for everything.
Sammy Jo

Collapse -
Hi Sammy Jo,
by Larry38 / December 19, 2005 7:03 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the help

You are Very Welcome, from everyone. We have all had to learn, just as you are doing. So we understand what it is to be confused. I think you will find the Mods. on these forums are some of the best of any of the other help sites, also the members on here are mostly above average.
Everyone tries to be patient and do their best to help someone in need. When you get your PC cleaned up, feel free to let us know what cured it, and if you have more questions, feel free to post them and I know someone will try to help you. If you get confused and don't understand something, all you need do is ask.
Good Luck.

Collapse -
Sammy_Jo: I Just read the Ewido Report & Each & Every .....
by tobeach / December 18, 2005 3:43 PM PST

item it found WAS removed by Ewido !! Did you Update definitions B-4 scan ? If you did, then you may, at this point, completely clean. Ewido Downloaded program, after updates, really is VERY thorough and if it cleaned all, you may be better off than you think.
Unfortunately Trend- Micro report was no more helpfull to me than you and entering anything listed in their grayware/spyware search came back with: nothing found on any of their data bases. Weird!They were their own numbers. I entered several including Browser Helper Objects.T-M does occassionally find False Positives(erroneous findings).
Neither report showed any of the MOST dangerous things but possibly some BHOs listed may be able to download more or redirect your home or start or search pages.
The following link takes you to a page listing Rogue(bad guys) Programs. If you have any listed: Uninstall!! Add page to Favorites list for easy return while there. Here:

When you installed Adaware SE from Lavasoft (any other is bad stuff: Adware, adwar,addwarrior etc.etc.)& Spybot S&D, did you save the download say on desktop or in "my documents"
as opposed to installing live while still on net? If so they should be clean copies and perhaps at this point you could un-install original blocked copies and try installing, updating & running again. Basically all I've seen BHO,tracking cookies etc should be removable by a combination of both programs.
Roddys suggestion for running a Hijack This is most definative answer and fully correct but may take some time to post and then have them lead you thru.
Again, I suspect you may be clean by now. If you can re- do the Spybot & AdawareSE things and tell them to fix anything they find at end of each scan first noting down what they found.
In passing when you go to net, What is the opening page (Blank, MSN, Yahoo, other?)?
Let us know what you did and what was found. Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.