Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't Open My Control Panel in XP

by mplsdeuce / April 3, 2007 2:14 PM PDT

I am having trouble accessing my control panel in Windows XP sp2. Every time I try to open it I get an error message saying Windows Explorer failed and needs to close. After that I sometimes get a message saying Dr. Watsons Debugger has failed and needs to close. I do not know what to do. I have tried all the most talked about anti-virus software and spy ware removers. Also used microsofts malicusious softward remover too. If someone could please help.

I have a dell dimension 2400
Pentium 4 processor
1 Gb of ram
256 mb video card
dual-monitors
I don't really have that many process running on my computer. Only have 4 desktop Icons on desktop.

Thank you for ever takeing the time to read this and if anyone could help that would be great. Thanks again!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Open My Control Panel in XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Open My Control Panel in XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Bob G / April 3, 2007 2:49 PM PDT

Check to see if your problem is with ( CONTROL.EXE ). Enter it in "RUN". If it is good correct your shortcut or create a new one.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONTROL. If is bad run a SFC. Bob G

Collapse -
Can't Open My Control Panel in XP.....
by mplsdeuce / April 3, 2007 3:10 PM PDT

I tried what you suggested and still would not open. I got the same message. I am totally clueless on what to try next. thanks for replying to my message.

Collapse -
by mplsdeuce / April 3, 2007 3:13 PM PDT

Sorry if I sound stupid, but what is a SFC?

Collapse -
SFC is System File Checker
by Bob G / April 4, 2007 3:34 AM PDT

Start - Run - SFC.exe /scannow (it scans and verifies system files)

Collapse -
SFC - Microsoft Command line - See KB 310747
by Bob G / April 4, 2007 3:43 AM PDT

See Microsoft Support for full details.

Collapse -
re
by mrjallouli / April 4, 2007 7:47 AM PDT

SFC= System Files Checker

Collapse -
Just my thought about this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2007 4:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
To Remove Possible "Pests" as Bob Suggested....
by tobeach / April 5, 2007 4:21 PM PDT

see if you can run a full online scan at Housecalls. Will take about 1 hour with Java or 2 times that if only MS Active-X. At times it may seem "frozen" (no apparent activity) but just leave it run. Choose to allow it to clean whatever it finds but be sure to write down it's findings for possible consideration/fixes in future. Being online, it will use most update definitions. Link:
http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/products/housecall_launch.php

Once that is complete and reports all clean you could also run a checkdisk/ R which will (like SFC) correct any errors in system files which would include one like yours (I should think) & effect repairs on disk as needed.

The following Link will lead you to my posted instructions(19 of 37)

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7813_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=154450&messageID=1723444

Hope this solves your problem. Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Probably the easest
by zenith321 / April 7, 2007 5:57 AM PDT

Try to restore your computer to a previous date.-Whenever I have a prob. I can't solve by myself,I just go to a different restore point when the computer was working o.k. Good luck.

Collapse -
It sounds like easiest, but system restore may have saved
by darclew1 / April 7, 2007 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Probably the easest

your settings and it may be in there.You will install the spyware. Darrell

Collapse -
Same problem
by rgfitz / October 4, 2007 10:27 AM PDT

"I am having trouble accessing my control panel in Windows XP sp2. Every time I try to open it I get an error message saying Windows Explorer failed and needs to close. After that I sometimes get a message saying Dr. Watsons Debugger has failed and needs to close. I do not know what to do. I have tried all the most talked about anti-virus software and spy ware removers. Also used microsofts malicusious softward remover too. If someone could please help."

I had the same problem today and can't remember when I accessed Control Panel last. No virus so just restored to a good checkpoint set last month.

Everything works fine now.

Collapse -
Can't open Control Panel - now works after this.....!
by Tim446 / December 5, 2008 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem

I had this too. Asked an IT expert who said start computer in safe mode, i.e. on starting the computer, continually press F8 until the screen comes up saying Start in Safe Mode.

Then after opening in safe mode, run the free AVG (Anti-Virus). When done, restart your computer, then it should work as it did for me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.