Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Can't open mozilla browser

by Pjm1025 / April 3, 2006 9:53 PM PDT

When I open mozilla I get, firefox.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. What's going on I tried restarting my computer and it's still doing it. I have windows xp and I don't know what version of firefox I'm using I think it's the latest version.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't open mozilla browser
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't open mozilla browser
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds corrupted. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 3, 2006 10:08 PM PDT

Uninstall it and reinstall it.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Pjm1025 / April 3, 2006 10:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Sounds corrupted. . .

Thank you I will try that.

Collapse -
Thanks
by DonAngelo18 / September 1, 2012 1:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Thanks Dude Thanks Thanks Thaks

Collapse -
by particolor / September 30, 2012 7:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Sounds corrupted. . .

Thas Ridiculous!! I cant open it..I go to uninstall programs and it tells you that you must close Mozilla Firefox before uninstalling!! ...Wierdos!!! How can I close it if I couldnt Open it in the First place??? What do they think this is?? An Episode of The Magic Roundabout!!!!

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove exposed email address in subject line to prevent abuse by others on 10/01/2012 at 9:11 AM PT

Collapse -
Re: uninstall
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 30, 2012 7:11 PM PDT
In reply to: ....

Two things you can do:
1. Reboot,so it isn't active anymore. Then uninstall.
2. Go into Task manager and in the process tab find firefox and end it. Then uninstall.
Nothing mysterious.

But why uninstall it? The usual fix is deleting the corrupt firefox profile. It will create a nice new uncorrupted one the first time you run it after that.

Kees

Collapse -
I reinstalled but still not
by Pjm1025 / April 3, 2006 11:37 PM PDT

working! It is still giving me the same message. I don't know what to do. Why would it stop working like this? I scanned for viruses and spyware and everything came back okay. Please help I don't know what I will do if I can't get mozilla working.

Collapse -
Use IE?
by Kees Bakker / April 3, 2006 11:45 PM PDT

Did you delete the cache etc? All those things that an uninstall leaves on the hard disk? One of those could be corrupted and be reused.

But it could be something in Windows, of course, not related to Firefox per se. It's a rather vague message.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
I'm at a total loss
by Pjm1025 / April 4, 2006 12:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Use IE?

I have no clue what to do next. I keep getting the same message firefox.exe has encountered a problem and has to close. Would you like to send an error report? When I uninstalled and reinstalled firefox it would not even launch it just gave the same message. What would be wrong with windows to cause this?

Collapse -
Lots of help at the Firefox site. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 4, 2006 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm at a total loss
Collapse -
Likely a corrupted profile...
by John.Wilkinson / April 4, 2006 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm at a total loss

When problems persist with Firefox even after a reinstallation, the usual cause is a corrupted profile. In Firefox, all your preferences, settings, bookmarks, extensions, etc are stored in a Firefox profile folder, which is not deleted when you uninstall Firefox. Thus, if it's corrupted, you need to uninstall Firefox, delete the profile, then reinstall to solve the problem. For instructions on doing that, click here.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
I did
by Pjm1025 / April 4, 2006 2:43 AM PDT

all of that and it still won't work. I am on a router could that have anything to do with this? My computer is hooked to the router and the second computer is run wirlessly through mine and firefox is working on the other computer. I have charter cable if that helps any. Firefox ran fine last night then this morning I can't get it to work at all.

Collapse -
That's an interesting setup.
by Kees Bakker / April 4, 2006 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: I did

Computer #1 connected to the router. Computer #2 connected wirelessly to computer #1. Why not 'computer #2 connected wirelessly to the router'? That's the usual setup.

If it ran fine last night, did you try a system restore back to yesterday?

Kees

Collapse -
Now my wallpaper is gone!!!
by Pjm1025 / April 4, 2006 2:30 PM PDT

Am I being hacked? I turned my computer off earlier When I just turned it back on my wallpaper in windows is gone! What is happening I really need help!

Collapse -
This Sounds more like a Virus
by gopherit912 / April 14, 2006 7:48 PM PDT

Than a Corrupted Profile. If your Wallpaper is dissapearing and Firefox is Corrupted. I would suggest Checking to see if you have any Viruses on your Computer. Also if you're not sure if you have the latest Version well I believe the latest version is 15.0.2 not Key words "I believe" as I'm not good at remembering exact Numbers and Versions. But I did have to Update today because Firefox Prompted me too so I'm pretty Sure that's it.

Collapse -
Router
by Pjm1025 / April 4, 2006 2:34 PM PDT

Maybe I did not explain myself right. I have charter cable with a modem they provided. About 2 weeks ago we got a second computer we hooked a linskeys broadband router up to the modem and the original computer and the second computer has a wireless card in it. Firefox still does not work on computer one and now my wallpaper is missing. Help

Collapse -
Firefox issue
by tomron / April 5, 2006 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Router

Look in event viewer>in the left pane,highlite application log.In the right pane google the event number(s)

Collapse -
Registry cleaner (fiefox issue)
by casaraku / April 7, 2006 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Firefox issue

Greetings, Some uninstallers do not always clean up all their stuff.... If you have norton system works, it has a utility called windoctor which goes thru the registry looking for issues. Then it gives a list and i usually select all and fix all....and reboot...There are also freeware versions like "Regscrub". Just google freeware and choose utilities/registry.... After a good cleaning, reinstall firefox.
goodluck.

Collapse -
by Dobby / April 7, 2006 12:01 PM PDT

Since you are running XP, why not just use system restore to go back to a setup that worked? The latest Firefox is 1.5.0.1 - you can find this out by clicking on help, then about Firefox. Go here to download latest version...then uninstall yours and install the one you downloaded. www.mozilla.com/firefox

Collapse -
mozilla
by rjgeisel / April 7, 2006 3:51 PM PDT

I have same problem...
Have now gone back to IE.
until it is sorted out...
Hopefully...Arthur..Greece..

Collapse -
Well
by Pjm1025 / April 7, 2006 9:28 PM PDT
In reply to: mozilla

I did a system restore and got it working again but I lost all of my bookmarks. Have any of you heard of port magic? I have aol dial up too and I think this has something to do with it. I did not hook up the router so I don't have any clue whats going on but I have this port magic blocked out by my firewall now and things have been working except my charter broadband goes out about 20 times a day and I have to unplug the modem and reboot. What is this port magic and could that have been the problem? The only reason I keep aol is for back up when the cable goes out.

Collapse -
Try this
by tomron / April 7, 2006 10:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Well
Collapse -
AOL??? DIAL UP???
by gopherit912 / April 14, 2006 7:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Well

Now I'm losing my Mind. Ok First off Dial Up is completely Unreliable. I haven't used it in years and Absolutely Refuse too. Port Magic well I've never heard of it.

At any rate the only thing good AOL Offers is Explorer and Radio. But you did state it was as a Back up connection though so I guess I can't blame you. But if it's Screwing up your Connection you may want to Rethink that.

At any rate glad you got Firefox working again which Pretty Much Disregards my Earlier Post about it being a Virus. Still if you have Problems Well it's good to keep around a Secondary Browser that's better than IE. At any Rate I will Look on Wikipedia for Port Magic. So BRB.

Collapse -
Ok I found it sooner than I though
by gopherit912 / April 14, 2006 8:00 PM PDT
In reply to: AOL??? DIAL UP???
Collapse -
Ewwwww......IE
by gopherit912 / April 14, 2006 7:50 PM PDT

I suggest a Secondary Browser like Opera or AOL anything is better than IE at this point. Heh I just don't like IE. So slow and so Cluttered.

Collapse -
Mozilla
by rjgeisel / April 15, 2006 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Ewwwww......IE

Thanks K.K.H. Problem fixed...loaded latest Firefox update and "all systems are go"...Cheers A.B.

Collapse -
Welcome
by gopherit912 / April 15, 2006 10:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Mozilla
Grin
Collapse -
Mozill FireFox Browser!!
by particolor / October 1, 2012 7:59 AM PDT

I'm with you.. back to IE.. Cant stand the HASSLE!!!... Cant Open it (Firefox) Cant Close it (Firefox) Cant Uninstall it either...The Magic Roundabout!??? GRRRRRR!!

Collapse -
by didz1984 / April 7, 2006 10:19 PM PDT

I use opera, netscape, firefox and IE. After I installed the system suite except my IE dont work. When I disabled the System Suite Prof.(antivirus, security, anti-spyware and privacy program) everything works fine.

Collapse -
FireFox !!GRRR!!
by particolor / October 1, 2012 8:03 AM PDT

Dunka Kees!!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.